WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

30D: one of the new Canon DSLRs is out

Old 22-02-06, 00:21

Even nicer to be a contented Canon owner

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 22-02-06, 00:28
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Even nicer to be a contented Canon owner
They seem to be in short supply today over at dpr ... they're putting on a more untied front now, it was like a wake earlier.
Old 22-02-06, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
They seem to be in short supply today over at dpr ... they're putting on a more untied front now, it was like a wake earlier.
I thought that was a typo at first, but, having looked at dpr, I'm not so sure now.
Old 22-02-06, 09:23

Yeah, DPR has gone completely ape-unmentionablesubstance. Any moment now I expect to see a sea of uber-geeks storming the Canon headquarters throwing stones and burning their red-striped lenses because it isn't full-frame/isn't 12.8MP/doesn't have a mobile phone in it. That picture posted above? They would love one of those.

Stupid gits.

Sometimes I feel that owning a Canon is a bit like being a Collingwood supporter (in the UK, read Man United) or actually liking a Microsoft software package - it's OK in itself, it's just that you feel embarrased to admit you belong to the same one as all the lunatic football hooligans over there in the other stand.

Hey, it's a camera, OK? You can take pictures with it.

sigh

And you know the really funny thing? The actual 20D replacement is, all things considered, a good deal better than I expected. Canon have avoided doing any of the things I was dreading: 1.3 form to nix my stunningly good EF-S 10-22 wide angle lens and nice little EF-S 60mm macro; SD instead of proper Compact Flash; lots more MP than the detail/noise equation can justify, and so on. No big mistakes: that's the first half of doing anything well. Also, Canon delivered a better raw buffer (though not as much better as I both hoped and expected) and better firmware with ISO in the VF and RBG histogram. And to my surprise and delight, spot metering, which I though they would never do.

All in all, it's a substantially more useful camera than I'd expected - and substantially more usable than half of the half-baked ideas thrown around by the DPR crowd would have resulted in too - and the knucklehead techofreaks are spitting chips about it. Go figure.

It's a strange, strange world.
Old 22-02-06, 11:12

Well lets face it when photography went digital there was a large infux of the "must have the latest update/gear computer geeks brigade" and mentality into the hobby and marketing just love them

I've never understood Canon with that partial 9% metering and find it less than useless on my 300D and 3.5% is not that great..hell even my Oly E500 has 2% spot metering.
Old 28-03-06, 16:31
Super Moderator

Anyone bought the 30D yet I was wondering what it was like, is it worth the upgrade.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 07-04-06, 18:24

From hours of trawling reviews on Fred Miranda the conclusion seems to be it is a 20D in terms of image quality but with the extra features, although the results i have seen from people using the Picture styles leaves something to be desired:
It seems to be OK when keeping it on neutal or shooting in raw.
I have looked at a lot of sample photos on PBase and most of what i have seen SO FAR i would have deleted after reviewing on the LCD!
For the time being i will be more than happy to stick with my 20D although if i had no Camera or an ealier model i would buy one from Wharehouse or Jessops, both of whom will refund if you are not satisfied with it.