WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 5D and Vignetting

Old 05-07-06, 15:08

Default Canon 5D and Vignetting

Recently, I took the opportunity to look through the viewfinder of a Canon 5D with a 17/40 mm L series lens fitted. I was surprised to notice considerable vignetting. Does anyone know if this is present on the actual sensor?

John.
Old 05-07-06, 16:30
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Recently, I took the opportunity to look through the viewfinder of a Canon 5D with a 17/40 mm L series lens fitted. I was surprised to notice considerable vignetting. Does anyone know if this is present on the actual sensor?

John.
I've certainly seen example shots from the 5D showing vignetting, but I haven't seen too many rants about it, so presumably it not a big issue to a lot of people.
Old 05-07-06, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I've certainly seen example shots from the 5D showing vignetting, but I haven't seen too many rants about it, so presumably it not a big issue to a lot of people.
Thank you Andy.

John.
Old 05-07-06, 19:11

Wide angle lenses usually vignette, especially wide open, and it can be quite severe e.g. 1 stop. So your experience is not unusual. But most people stop the lens down anyway, and that removes the effect. Even if vignetting is present, software can easily remove it, so it's not a big deal on digital.

I've also read many comments from people who suggest that full frame sensors can cause vignetting with wide angle lenses. The effect is supposed to result when light from the lens hits the sensor at an angle. Apparently the light does not hit the sensor directly, but rather it hits a layer of microlenses in front of the sensor. These are supposed to focus the light onto the sensor pits. But, if the light hits the microlenses at too steep an angle, it is lost. I don't know if this effect is real. Unfortunately there are too many bogus claims on the net to believe everything.

Leif
Old 05-07-06, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Wide angle lenses usually vignette, especially wide open, and it can be quite severe e.g. 1 stop. So your experience is not unusual. But most people stop the lens down anyway, and that removes the effect. Even if vignetting is present, software can easily remove it, so it's not a big deal on digital.

I've also read many comments from people who suggest that full frame sensors can cause vignetting with wide angle lenses. The effect is supposed to result when light from the lens hits the sensor at an angle. Apparently the light does not hit the sensor directly, but rather it hits a layer of microlenses in front of the sensor. These are supposed to focus the light onto the sensor pits. But, if the light hits the microlenses at too steep an angle, it is lost. I don't know if this effect is real. Unfortunately there are too many bogus claims on the net to believe everything.

Leif
Thank you Leif. I was considering buying a 5D for general photography but keeping my 20D for bird pictures. Another option would be to go for a 1Ds which I believe has much faster focusing which would be good for flight shots. Its a lot to spend so I am letting my thoughts gell whilst looking around. Any comments from anyone would be very welcome.

John
Old 05-07-06, 22:53

One thing to bear in mind is that (for our purposes) the vignetting is caused by the lens, not the camera. Some lenses are known for it, others not.
Old 06-07-06, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin
One thing to bear in mind is that (for our purposes) the vignetting is caused by the lens, not the camera. Some lenses are known for it, others not.
Thank you Tannin,

John
Old 10-08-06, 22:04

John,
Don't rule out the 5D for the vignetting issue.
I used to have a 1DS and for its time, was a great camera, but painfully slow.
I bought a 1D MkIIN and immediately realised what I was missing - WOW Super fast and great for birds and sports. Colours and quality excellent and outshine the 1DS.
Sold 1DS and 20D leaving 1DMKII but felt vulnerable not having a spare because I also shoot weddings. Took a long time taking the decision to buy the 5D as a 'Backup'!! Ha, Ha, Now the first camera I grab is the 5D.
The MkII only sees daylight when sports or birds is the requirement.
5D = Superb resolution, excellent contrast, great dynamic range etc etc.
1DMkII = 'Backup' Who'd have thought that?

Hope the info helps, you won't regret buying a 5D but get good glass!

Regards

Chris
Old 11-08-06, 21:19

Thank you Chris for relating your experience. This is the direction I have been leaning towards as a result of reading reviews and you have clinched it for me. I will keep my 20D for birds and use the 5D for the rest of my photography. I don't take sport pictures. The lenses I have are Canon 17/40 f4 L, 24/105 f4/L and 100/400 f4/5.6 L. I think these meet the requirement of good glass. I will need to save a bit more before taking the plunge.

Kind regards,

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris West
John,
Don't rule out the 5D for the vignetting issue.
I used to have a 1DS and for its time, was a great camera, but painfully slow.
I bought a 1D MkIIN and immediately realised what I was missing - WOW Super fast and great for birds and sports. Colours and quality excellent and outshine the 1DS.
Sold 1DS and 20D leaving 1DMKII but felt vulnerable not having a spare because I also shoot weddings. Took a long time taking the decision to buy the 5D as a 'Backup'!! Ha, Ha, Now the first camera I grab is the 5D.
The MkII only sees daylight when sports or birds is the requirement.
5D = Superb resolution, excellent contrast, great dynamic range etc etc.
1DMkII = 'Backup' Who'd have thought that?

Hope the info helps, you won't regret buying a 5D but get good glass!

Regards

Chris
Old 11-08-06, 21:43

There is supposed to be new Canon stuff coming out on 24th August so might be worth waiting to see whats announced. One website reported a Canon teaser of 'a legend has to start sometime'! New stuff may push the price of current gear down if its in the same market sector.