WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Use of Filters

Old 10-07-06, 19:58

Default Use of Filters

Hi all, have a question but seems a bit silly.

Anyway here goes.

I am wanting to take some images on my holiday into Wales in the next few weeks.

I want to slow the shutter down to obtain the desired "Milky" appearance of the flowing water.

I understand the concept of the shutter speed, aperture etc, and using an ND filter to give additional stops to acheive this.

However do I compose the image first and then put the filter on. Or do I put the filter on and then compose the image. or does'nt it matter? Silly question I know!

One more thing which density ND filter is best to use?
Thanks

Nogbad
Old 11-07-06, 07:46

Nogbad,

Depending on the light, you may not need an ND filter at all. To show some movement in a water flow, you will probably be using speeds of between 1/15th and 1 second. The longer the speed, the more milky the water will appear. If you are using your slowest ISO setting and shooting at dawn/dusk, you may be able to get these sorts of shutter speeds without resorting to an ND. Shooting at these times may also give you more flattering light than harsh midday sun.

As for composing before or after, as you will be using a tripod, I'd compose before adding the filter as this will give you a clearer view in hte viewfinder; you are less likely to miss spotting a stray object in the scene, but I can't see that it will make a huge difference if you put the filter on first.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 11-07-06, 20:46

Hi Duncan, Many thanks I will be taking the shots at dawn so probably wont need an ND .

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

Nogbad
Old 11-07-06, 22:20

Nogbad

Another option to think about is to use a Polarising filter. This will reduce your exposure by 3 stops and help cutback some of the reflections. Sometimes the water surface can look like a mirror.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated