WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Battery Charging

Old 28-08-06, 17:03

Default Battery Charging

I have just purchased a Nikon D50.Can anyone advise if I need to let the battery run down completely before re charging or can I just put it on charge
if I am going out for a days photography just to top it up.The handbook does not seem to give any clues on this one.
Any advise gratefully received.
Old 28-08-06, 17:09

I just top mine up. Never had a problem doing it that way. Battery life is fantastic even when doing lots of viewing to see what you've got.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 28-08-06, 17:11

The battery is rumoured to reach 2000 frames each charge. If you turn off playback and set the screen to stay on for 10 seconds i have had it last over 1500 frames.
Old 28-08-06, 18:13

I always allow any battery to become fully discharged before charging. I believe shorter life span will result if 'topping up' regularly although there are times when topping up is unavoidable.
Old 28-08-06, 18:16

With Canon batteries it does not need to be run down each time (it has no memory) but Canon do say the limiting factor in the long run is the total number of times the battery is charged before it becomes useless so to maximise the use of the battery and get best value let it run low before charging each time. I imagine Nikon is exactly the same. I rotate two batteries for this reason.
Old 28-08-06, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll
With Canon batteries it does not need to be run down each time (it has no memory) but Canon do say the limiting factor in the long run is the total number of times the battery is charged before it becomes useless so to maximise the use of the battery and get best value let it run low before charging each time. I imagine Nikon is exactly the same. I rotate two batteries for this reason.
Correct Li-ion batterys have no memory effect, they cannot even remember if they are Canon or Nikon
Old 28-08-06, 19:54

Thankyou everyone for your replies.I think I will where possible let it run low before a re charge, but I will not loose too much sleep on the odd top up.
many thanks
Stephen (Horace)
Old 28-08-06, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Correct Li-ion batterys have no memory effect, they cannot even remember if they care Canon or Nikon
I don't have much memory effect either these days but I don't remember coming from Li-ion.
Old 28-08-06, 20:40

I was told at time of purchase that it made no difference whatsoever if I let the battery run down or top it off.
Old 29-08-06, 07:17

Default Don't deep-discharge Li-Ion batteries.

Lithium-Ion rechargeables shouldn't be totally discharged. They perform best when kept topped-up. Their lifetime is virtually independant of the number of charge/discharge cycles they undergo. They have no 'memory' effect.

Here's a quote from Wikipaedia -

"Unlike NiCad batteries or NiMH batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like NiCd or NiMH batteries"

The full article is Here. A Google search will bring up loads of other sources giving the same advice.