WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

image numbering

Old 16-12-07, 20:22
Chris

Default image numbering

not sure if this is a camera question or a computer one

My D80 images have just changed from numbering DSC_xxxx to _DSC.xxxx after the first 100 or so downloads. Almost exactly the same thing happened to previous Canon 350D except there it was IMG_xxxx to _MG_xxxx

Anyone know what might cause this and remedy? (no conscious alterations to any software settings......oh er except to make NX default opening prog for .NEF files, but can't think why I even had to do that)
Old 16-12-07, 21:11

The position of an underscore _ denotes what colour profile was incorporated into the image. I am sure you have changed your colour profile to Adobe II.

NX will show colour profile for the older file name and new, they will be different.
Old 16-12-07, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
The position of an underscore _ denotes what colour profile was incorporated into the image. I am sure you have changed your colour profile to Adobe II.

NX will show colour profile for the older file name and new, they will be different.
Though I have no direct knowledge of the Nikon system, the above description matches exactly what happens to my Pentax file numbers if I switch the colour profile setting from sRGB to AdobeRGB. Knowing that the EXIF data format is controlled by a set standard, this may well be something that applies to all makes and models.
Old 16-12-07, 21:54
Chris

Thank you both - dead right, this must be the time from using new camera as inherited and changing to my settings. Have changed camera to Adobe RGB (Mode II) along with one or two other custom settings.
Old 17-12-07, 07:27
Super Moderator

Surely the incorporated profile makes no difference if you're shooting in RAW, which I'm sure you guys all are
Old 17-12-07, 07:42
Chris

You can adjust most things on RAW files Clive, but from my limited experience it is worth keeping camera, computer display and all software in sync so you don't have to think about it any more. Like keeping your bank balance positive
Old 17-12-07, 07:47

I think clive means, it is possible to change the colour profile after shooting using NX as the setting is simply an instruction to NX to apply a certain parameter before displaying the image.

Nikon RAW is the bayer data with a list of instructions for Capture NX to apply.
Old 17-12-07, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Surely the incorporated profile makes no difference if you're shooting in RAW, which I'm sure you guys all are
Yup, you're quite right. I asked this question in another thread a while ago. It makes no difference to the image output, but the camera changes the image numbering format even if the setting is only applicable to in camera jpegs.
Old 17-12-07, 10:55
Chris

It is possible to change during pp, but as NX has pull-down menus for camera settings starting with 'unchanged', then a star by what it is unchanged from, I find it a tad simpler to know whether one is changing or not in the case of other 'camera settings', or in the case of colour space, that I need never look at it again.....and that the 'soft proof' check also has all parameters in sync with the printer and paper, cos if anything can go wrong with printing it will and waste a nice piece of classic pearl paper, shame.

Just need to re-arrange my NEF folders with new sequence in new folder so pics are where I think they are!
Old 17-12-07, 15:53

The other question here, is, if you don't want to have the hassel of RAW shooting, What color format should you use and why?

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN