WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Consider your point of view!

Old 13-12-05, 15:59

Default Consider your point of view!

Hi, Folks,

One piece of advice one often reads in "how to" books/magazines etc. is to check out your viewpoint. I took this advice on board on a recent trip to Helsinki and post this example to illustrate the point.
The first image is a general view of the area, note the "angel" on the apex of the building... moving round to the front of the statue of Alexander I found I could get a shot of both Alexandra and the "angel" viewed between his legs!

Open to comments.

Trev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alexander2.jpg (85.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Alexander.jpg (164.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 13-12-05, 16:43

LOL Trev, I couldnt resist a smile for how you put that last sentence.

I think you make a very good point, as an ordinary holiday snap, in fact general image taken, can become that much more interesting by considering the angle from which it is taken. Often, the 'great' photo really does begin in the mind first.

Tom
Old 13-12-05, 16:44
Admin

Yes, this is one aspect that i always struggle with... for architectural shots. I'm confronted by some glorious building in a city and just never get quite what i'm after, it's often so claustrophobic in cities and that really puts me off my stride.
Old 13-12-05, 16:55

I can relate to that one, Andy; the hustle and bustle of city photography! I find it very distracting and rushed. Having said that, I managed to get to a part in the city of Liverpool recently, whilst it was quiet and practiced some architectural shots; with a few across the river; just to try them from a different angle/perspective.

Tom
Old 13-12-05, 17:18

[quote=Tom Charles]LOL Trev, I couldnt resist a smile for how you put that last sentence.

Realised after I wrote it.... but thought what the h..l, the world is short on a bit of humour.

Trev
Old 13-12-05, 17:41

Trev, believe me, I love a lot of humour

Tom
Old 13-12-05, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipton
Hi, Folks,

One piece of advice one often reads in "how to" books/magazines etc. is to check out your viewpoint. I took this advice on board on a recent trip to Helsinki and post this example to illustrate the point.
The first image is a general view of the area, note the "angel" on the apex of the building... moving round to the front of the statue of Alexander I found I could get a shot of both Alexandra and the "angel" viewed between his legs!

Open to comments.

Trev
Good advice Trevor. It's very easy to "see what you want to see", which isn't always what's really there, if that makes sense.

Even the same viewpoint can give two completely different views, depending on the point of focus. I took these two shots on Saturday, from the same position, using the same camera/lens/zoom but just changing the point of focus. The first one is the shot I had in mind when I was first framing it up but I actually prefer the second one with hindsight.

Regards,

Duncan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distant focus.jpg (48.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg close focus.jpg (40.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 14-12-05, 15:04

Trev

Was that Gull Glued to Alexanders head ? I see you managed to get it in both shots. I think these qualify for BF gallery

Rob

Last edited by robski; 15-12-05 at 01:14.
Old 14-12-05, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Trev

Was that Gull Glued to Alexanders head ? I see you managed to get in both shots. I think these qualify for BF gallery

Rob
I think it probably was glued on, maybe the good people of Helsinki are having a laugh with the tourists and have stuck gulls on the top of most statues in the city Had difficulty finding one without... Believe the gull is a Common one.

Trev
Old 16-10-07, 13:35

With my penchant for poor taste I can't believe it takes 2 years for the "gullible tourist" to raise his head, even to scratch it ... anyway I thought it was a pigeon ... that would make the angel a "s'tool pigeon"