WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

which lens for a landscape please?

Old 07-03-09, 19:44

Default which lens for a landscape please?

I am going away for a few days soon the main object being to take loads of photos but I am confusing myself on which lens to use in which situation as a general rule of thumb.

The lenses I have are 50m prime, 18-70, 28-105 (ebay special!) and I have ordered a 70-300m which will come before I go away.

Shall I take them all? which of these would be best suited for seascapes/landscapes?

I am hoping to take landscapes and also am going to nature reserve and deer park and whatever else takes my fancy.
Old 07-03-09, 20:20

happy chick,

As you will be travelling, it may be inconvenient to take all your lenses with you. I'd leave the 50 prime behind certainly. Assuming you will be using the 70-300 for the deer, I'd say you should take that with you for the longer reach stuff. Which does kind of beg the question "do you need the 28-105?" The answer is "It all depends on what your style is". If you find yourself using the 18-70 regularly, leave the 28-105 behind, if you find your style is more suited to the 28-105, then leave the 18-70 behind.

You will know better than any of us what kind of photos you take day in, day out. Take the lenses that suit your style. Leave the ones that don't get used.
Old 07-03-09, 21:07

I'd second Duncan's advice. I tend to use a 28-70 and 70-200 pretty heavily when landscaping (full-frame body), with a 180 macro coming in third. So those lenses are always in my bag, plus a set of ND grads and a polariser, and a tripod, cable release and bubble level. I sometimes use a 17-35 and a 120-300, so if I'm not walking far, they'll make it in too. If I'm off on a trip for a few days and have somewhere secure to store kit, then all the above goes, plus the 500 prime if there's good wildlife spots around, and the geared head and ball head on their own centre columns. That way I have a good choice of subject and style and can vary things according to inclination, location and conditions.
Old 08-03-09, 00:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
I'd second Duncan's advice. I tend to use a 28-70 and 70-200 pretty heavily when landscaping (full-frame body), with a 180 macro coming in third. So those lenses are always in my bag, plus a set of ND grads and a polariser, and a tripod, cable release and bubble level. I sometimes use a 17-35 and a 120-300, so if I'm not walking far, they'll make it in too. If I'm off on a trip for a few days and have somewhere secure to store kit, then all the above goes, plus the 500 prime if there's good wildlife spots around, and the geared head and ball head on their own centre columns. That way I have a good choice of subject and style and can vary things according to inclination, location and conditions.
So travelling light then Gordon
Old 08-03-09, 07:27

Hi Happy Chick, If this is your first trip away with the gear, as long as you have somewhere safe to store it, why not take it all and find out what lenses you find most useful? You will no doubt have a bag that will hold it all? While you're away you can look out for Gordon, he's the one with " a look of rapture on his face like what a certain howitzer gunner had when he strained his-self with his gun"

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 08-03-09 at 07:30.
Old 08-03-09, 07:41

thanks everyone. As yet i dont really think I have a style as such! just photograph everything. Ha Ha. I will leave the prime at home then and see about the rest. thanks again!
Old 08-03-09, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
So travelling light then Gordon
I prefer to let the train (or car) take the strain . At least until I get to wherever I'm based for the trip anyway - then I get a bit more selective about what I carry around!
The big lenses only make it in if I'm pretty likely to use them.