WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Flash at Weddings

Old 06-03-06, 10:11

Default Flash at Weddings

Hi
I have used a SB600 flash unit on my D70 set up for a while now – but only for macro and shots in my study where I have had reasonably good results bouncing off the White ceiling and white cards etc. On Saturday I attended a wedding and took my kit along. This was the first time I have done any what I refer to as in your face photography. The reception was in a castle and the ceilings were high, very high and painted, no good for a bounce.
After following the official photographer around for a while, I decided branch out on my own and to do a theme on Wedding Hats. I had a lot of fun, and here are three, the ladies were most willing to pose, but I have to learn how to avoid the shadows cast by the flash in these circumstances, any tips please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hat1.jpg (94.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Hat2.jpg (97.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Hat3.jpg (84.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-03-06, 17:49

Were you using direct flash? ... I believe a diffuser would help cut down on some of the shadows ... bounce flash would also work, if the ceilings aren't too high.

cheers,
jim
Old 06-03-06, 18:33

Hi Jim
Did use the disuser shield which you pull over the flash face in the hope the TTL would do the job, but no luck. AS for the ceilings - have attatched a couple of pics to show you how high they were.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ceiling-1.jpg (141.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Ceiling-2.jpg (173.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-03-06, 18:39

Wow ... those are incredible ceilings ... I use Canon equipment and have never been a big fan of the built-in shield on my flash. I use an Omnibounce diffuser now and then, but other photos swear by different diffusers. I'm sure if you do a search through this forum you'll come up with a couple of different ones.
Good luck,
cheers,
jim
Old 06-03-06, 18:52

Difficult to get bounce off those ceilings. Stofen produce a diffuser for the SB-600, part number OM-600. I have one and it does soften the light quite nicely. I would have been experimented pointing the flash vertical (bulb mode?) with OM-600 to give the best diffused light available from a portable source.

If I could refer to the thread 'Flash - Daunting or Fun' for lots of tips, advise and practical applications for flash photography.

I think by diffuser shield you are referring to the wide angle adapter, this will just widen the light source for a 14mm lens field of view.

Check out the photo below to see what the OM-600 does to SB-600 output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apdiffuser190206.jpg (201.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-03-06, 19:00

Thanks Stephen

Have just this minute ordered a White Stophen Omni from 7 Day Shop - more experimenting. Fun isnt it.

Cheers
Brian
Old 06-03-06, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostie1200
Thanks Stephen

Have just this minute ordered a White Stophen Omni from 7 Day Shop - more experimenting. Fun isnt it.

Cheers
Brian
The best thing about OM-600 is with it fitted on SB-600, they still fit in the SS-600 case!
Old 06-03-06, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Difficult to get bounce of those ceilings. Stofen produce a diffuser for the SB-600, part number OM-600. I have one and it does soften then light quite nicely. I would have experimented pointing the flash vertical (bulb mode?) with OM-600 to give the best diffused light available from a portable source.

If I could refer to the thread 'Flash - Daunting or Fun' for lots of tips, advise and practical applications for flash photography.

I think by diffuser shield you are referring to the wide angle adapter, this will just widen the light source for a 14mm lens field of view.

Check out the photo below to see what the OM-600 does to SB-600 output.

See what you mean - no hot spots or burn out at all.

Do you use an extender attatchment for fill when useing long lenses?
Old 06-03-06, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostie1200
Do you use an extender attachment for fill when using long lenses?
I don't quite understand. I use 50mm f1.8 for indoor shots and portraits, its fast, small and simple in design so lightweight. I think the GN of my best flash will only allow for 100mm whereas SB-600 is good for 85mm.
Old 06-03-06, 21:57

Sorry didnt make it clear in my last post.
I realy should have have said for outside photography, when use say 70-200 or a 300mm.