WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

An alternative bean bag filling

Old 25-03-06, 14:39

Default An alternative bean bag filling

For some time I've been keeping an eye out for a suitable material for filling bean bags. It must be light but hard so as to avoid vibrations. And it must be affordable. Beans and mixed bird seed are heavy. Expanded polystyrene is too soft. Plastic beads are expensive.

Anyway, today I was poking round a garden centre and came across something called Hydroleca. Basically it's a bag of hard but surprisingly light pea sized objects. According to the manufacturer it's made from expanded clay (a bit like Maltezers). The cost was £3.50 for a 5 litre bag and it will fill several medium sized bean bags or one large one. The bag weighs 1.5 Kg, and hence the density is 300g per litre, compared to about 1Kg per litre for mixed bird seed.

Leif
Old 25-03-06, 14:45

Fantastic! I have been looking for an alternative for my bean bag, its full of rice and about 2kg in weight. I hate taking it out cos it's too heavy.

I will get some tommorrow.

Nogbad
Old 25-03-06, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad
Fantastic! I have been looking for an alternative for my bean bag, its full of rice and about 2kg in weight. I hate taking it out cos it's too heavy.

I will get some tommorrow.

Nogbad
Hi Nogbad. By the way it was a Wyevale garden centre. Not sure if it's unique to them. It was displayed with soil expanders such as Perlite. Leif