WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

New venture into Macro

Old 25-01-06, 14:35

"I have been reading Don's helpful series of posts and to fully understand the subject I will probably have to save up and make this my next purchase. Then I can experiment and perhaps learn the techniques involved".

kenny, Due to the very high cost of a dedicated macro flash I've been trying out a work around.

The method being to use 2 Jessops straight flash brackets £20.
2 Jessops Mini slave cells £22
2 Jessops flashguns £22
Using the onboard flash as a trigger.

I have tried out this method, but using my two sigma flashguns which are far too powerful and heavy.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...3&d=1137010373

This is an uncropped 1-1 macro. As a guide the distance from the tip to the base of the the first pair of buds is 12mm

I'm of to Kenya tomorrow, but when I get back(mid Feb) I will buy the Jessops flasghuns and will then post the resulting photos + a shot of the set-up.
I'm convinced this method will work satisfactory and at a cost of only £64.

Harry

Last edited by wolfie; 25-01-06 at 14:38.
Old 25-01-06, 15:12

Harry

That example is very impressive. I look forward to seeing details of the setup.

Its an expensive hobby and anything that keeps the cost down and provides results as good as that gets my vote!

Have a great trip. I'm envious!

Ken
Old 25-01-06, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
If I could return to Christine's point re the Canon Macro setting.

What in-camera settings are made by the camera when the macro option is chosen? How are these settings designed to help in macro situations?

I ask because if these settings are helpful they may act as a guide when using your own settings in manual mode.
Hi Kenny,

I totally agree with Harry in is camera settings.

I have been trawling the net to see if the Macro program actual setting curve is there but I have not managed to find it. The only reference I have found is in DP Review re the Canon 350D. Not much detail there other than the program sets aperture to a medium setting to try and get a reasonable zone of sharpness but the background is blurred and flash mode is disabled.

The program will assume hand held so will firstly aim to get your shutter speed to 1/60 sec and then as the light level increases it will stop the lens down until f8 is reached. As the light level increases it will move the shutter speed to 1/125 and then take the aperture through to f16. A further increase in light level will probably move the shutter speed to 1/250 with the aperture being taken through to f22.

In true macro you will be looking at using f16, f22 or f32 and therefore using a tripod.

You should be able to see in the viewfinder what settings the camera would use if the macro mode is selected. I would suspect they are based on ' close up ' as in macro facility on zoom lenses rather than ' macro ' as in 1:1 or closer.

So to anwer your question as to ' magical ' setting ..... refer to Harry's setting guide.

Don
Old 25-01-06, 23:02

Don

Thanks for that very detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to seeing Harry's flash setup on his return.

Ken
Old 22-02-06, 22:16

Ken.

I have placed a photo of my macro flash setup here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...p?t=111&page=8
The method works very well, but maybe slightly cumbersome.

All my latest photo's have been taken using this lighting setup, a number of which are in "My Photos" I'm very pleased with the results, with the cost being less than £50, assuming you use the cameras on-board flash.

All the tests that I've done have been in a "studio" enviroment" so as yet I've not tried it out in the "field" this I will rectify as soon as the weather permits.

Having spent some time experimenting (which I must admit i've enjoyed) My wife informs me that she will buy me the super Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash system.

She's such a darling.

The
Old 22-02-06, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
My wife informs me that she will buy me the super Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX flash system.
LUCKY YOU !!!!

Don
Old 24-02-06, 10:01

Harry

I am going to source the parts that make up your flash arrangement. Is the list you posted the final one?

Looking forward to experimenting!

Ken
Old 15-03-06, 21:46

If I can suggest a good book which covers many aspects of macro " CLOSE-UP & MACRO A Photographers Guide " by Robert Thompson. Publishers David & Charles.

Mike
Old 16-03-06, 13:30

Mike

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

Ken
Old 16-03-06, 20:45

Kenny, I'm extremely sorry, I thought that I'd answered your last question.
So if it's not to late this is what I acquired.

I happened to be near a Jessop's outlet so went in to have a look at what they'd got and finished up buying 2 Jessop 150s flashguns, which have built in slave capabilities, the total cost being approx £35. Guide no. at 100 ISO = 15.

These are very lightweight and work quite well.
Attached are two shots one of the camera/light setup and also the resulting image.

Normally I use my 300D for this type of work mainly because I have a remote release for it.

However in this case as I wanted a shot of the flower and also one of the setup, I used my 10D conected to a laptop for "remote capture" of the flower and the 300D + cable release to take a photo of myself, taking a photo of the flower.

I wonder if you can understand my meanderings

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro using Remote Capture.jpg (175.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Resulting image.jpg (170.1 KB, 20 views)