World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Flash Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   DIY Ringflash (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1860)

Don Hoey 04-01-07 20:55

New toys

2 Attachment(s)
We went to Dereham today, and I took the opportunity to visit Wilkinsons to see Lello's ring in the flesh so's to speak. All gone, so no luck there. Whilest in the store I thought I would follow up on Robs foil containers idea. I bought a pack of 10 for £0:89p, the star buy of the day was the Pillow protector at £0:25p.

The material, spunbonded polyropylene looked good for diffusion material. So I lashed out 50 pence and bought two. Machine washable too.

Once home another idea for those on a limited budget and wanting a reflector or shoot through screen. A bit of 2mm garden fence wire folded into a rectangle ( ends bound with tape ), inserted, and the case zipped up, and you have a budget version of a Lastolite. The size is 44 x 72cm / 17 x 28 inches so quite useful.

I did some tests and it works fine. Pic 1 is a shoot through from a hot shoe mounted undiffused flashgun.

Pic 2 shows material texture.

Don

Lello 04-01-07 21:22

I'm definitely going to go and buy the pillow protectors:)
Can't wait to see what will come out of the workshop re: the tin foils.

Don Hoey 04-01-07 21:29

Lello,

This time it's not your fault REALLY.

Stevies dad used to say to me " The trouble with you DIY'ers is that you never totally finish one job before starting another " :D :D

I used to remind him of that when he asked me to do something. :rolleyes:

Don

Lello 04-01-07 21:42

I'm the same, it's much more interesting starting a new project, than finishing an old one:)

Don Hoey 05-01-07 20:38

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lello (Post 15317)
Can't wait to see what will come out of the workshop re: the tin foils.

I thought I would get this one out of the way before returning the the large flash bowl.

Using 3 of the foil pie containers I cobbled together a diffuser for a pop-up flash that is even more basic than the ring flash.
Total cost £0:30p. Free if you have a suitable takeaway and wash the containers. :D

Attatched a comparison shot that shows the degree of diffusion. No reflectors were used although I did think of 2 sheets of A4 printer paper.

A comparison of the light as reflected in the workshop door, taken from the same position, and images that show the device.

Lastly a sketch to show how it was made. Held on the camera by tape to the pop-up and a blob of bluetak on the lens.

I think between this, and the more sophisticated ringflash, we have shown just what you can do if limited by having only a pop-up and shortage of available funds for any flash kit purchase.

Don

robski 05-01-07 21:24

Quiet impressive the reduction of shadows even though the device was not 360 degrees around the lens.

Nice job Don

Saphire 05-01-07 21:25

I couldn't believe it when I opened the thread I can't stop laughing :D :D, another masterpiece of engineering. Its absolutely brilliant.

Lello 05-01-07 21:34

Well done Don, We'll have to see is if we can get you on to Blue Peter. Another class in design and technology:D
At this rate you won't have to wait 15 years to make your first million:D:D

Don Hoey 05-01-07 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 15376)
I couldn't believe it when I opened the thread I can't stop laughing :D :D,

Same here, when I put it on the camera. Looks a bit like a bug eyed monster from the front. :D

I reckon my G/No 45 Metz could support two turkey trays if I find them.

I did have thoughts of Ollie having a go, and taking a pic of the contruction of one of his models.

Don

Jon Sharp 06-01-07 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 15316)
... opportunity to visit Wilkinsons ... I bought a pack of 10 for £0:89p, the star buy of the day was the Pillow protector at £0:25p.

Don

Another great idea, but before you all rush to your nearest wilkinson or homebase etc, spare a thought for local retailers and independant DIY shops. My partners shop sells all this stuff at exactly the same price and sometimes even cheaper. I would urge anyone to consider, when making a purchase of any kind, can a local supplier provide this for roughly the same money? If they can then make the conscious decision to do shop local.

Obviously if local suppliers have grossly inflated prices compared to Wilkinsons etc then they become the obvious choice.

Sorry for moaning in this excellent thread.