World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Photographic Accessories (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "bean" Bags (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=632)

Subzero 12-02-06 15:05

"bean" Bags

Anybody made any? Do you have any tips on materials used or sources for the fillings etc.I have seen some for sale on WHE, but these seem very overpriced.
Regards Subzero.

Christine 12-02-06 20:53

I purchased a double bean bag from Wildife Watching supplies,which I use to balance my scope when digiscoping(using a single one)also use a single one to rest on a ledge etc.I think they are very easy to make using rice or dried beans.

Leif 13-02-06 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine
I purchased a double bean bag from Wildife Watching supplies,which I use to balance my scope when digiscoping(using a single one)also use a single one to rest on a ledge etc.I think they are very easy to make using rice or dried beans.

A second vote for WWS, but buy direct rather than via WE, or you'll pay extra. The WWS ones are made like 2 small pillow cases. The inner one takes the rice or whatever, and I think it has a velcro seal. The outer one just slips on, and hence can be washed if need be. Any competent stitcher could make one in seconds.

Leif

Andy 13-02-06 09:10

Has anyone tried vermiculite as a filler? this should be quite good as it has excellent vibration damping properties.
I have a WWS pre-filled single, mainly used to lay on top of the lens to counter mirror bounce.

cheers,
Andy

Leif 13-02-06 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
Has anyone tried vermiculite as a filler? this should be quite good as it has excellent vibration damping properties.
I have a WWS pre-filled single, mainly used to lay on top of the lens to counter mirror bounce.

cheers,
Andy

Or Perlite for better drainage? I don't care as long as you don't use peat. :D

Actually that's a good idea, though would it not degrade into powder over a year or two of use, and is it not a bit springy?

Leif

Subzero 13-02-06 18:41

Many Thanks,
Christine,Leif and Andy for your replies.

I have looked at WWS and there are many other things of interest,which I will look into, but as for bean bags you must be able to make them much cheaper than that.
For Christine ,
you say you use a bean bag to stabilize you digiscoping rig, why?

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site www.digiscoped.com (that's a plug for you! not that you need one) that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?
Not to sure about vermiculite as I believe it is used by gardeners to "store" moisture and is also used in hydroponics?
regards Subzero.

Leif 13-02-06 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subzero
Not to sure about vermiculite as I believe it is used by gardeners to "store" moisture and is also used in hydroponics?
regards Subzero.

It is indeed used to retain moisture, due I think to the large surface area, and lots of little crevices. But you could always put it inside a resealable plastic sandwich bag and then put that in the bean bag.

Leif

Christine 13-02-06 21:28

Quote:

Many Thanks,
Christine,Leif and Andy for your replies.

I have looked at WWS and there are many other things of interest,which I will look into, but as for bean bags you must be able to make them much cheaper than that.
For Christine ,
you say you use a bean bag to stabilize you digiscoping rig, why?

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site www.digiscoped.com (that's a plug for you! not that you need one) that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?
regards Subzero.

Putting a bean bag on the scope helps to keep it steady,as there is a camera attached to the scope eyepiece ,and it tends to tip up as it were.Also as Andy has mentioned I do often put a beanbag onto the lens if it is being used with a tripod,just helps to stabilise,esp if it is a little breezy.

Andy 13-02-06 21:44

Quote:

For Andy Bright,
I see from your site that you have a small bean bag ontop of your 500/600 lens, are you using this instead of, or as well as your hand to dampen/stabilize the lens?

Yes, I have a 1.5kg bean bag atop the lens... but usually when I'm struggling for a reasonable shutter-speed.

On its own, the bean bag helps subdue a bit of mirror bounce but it is even better with a steadying hand placed upon the beanbag. This is all for 850mm or so (no I.S.) at lowish shutter speeds, so it's probably over the top for many.

cheers,
Andy

Dr.Manjeet Singh 14-02-06 13:46

Quote:

Yes, I have a 1.5kg bean bag atop the lens... but usually when I'm struggling for a reasonable shutter-speed.

On its own, the bean bag helps subdue a bit of mirror bounce but it is even better with a steadying hand placed upon the beanbag. This is all for 850mm or so (no I.S.) at lowish shutter speeds, so it's probably over the top for many.

cheers,
Andy

Andy i am one up on you'll-i use my Turban to stablise my T.D.1(havent changed it since 1990's and weighs about 7kgs i think and at the same time allows me to feel the breeze on my central bold area.:D :cool: -need a crying ,laughing smiley.(ah)who needs a bean bag.:)

Andy 14-02-06 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Manjeet Singh
Andy i am one up on you'll-i use my Turban to stablise my T.D.1(havent changed it since 1990's and weighs about 7kgs i think and at the same time allows me to feel the breeze on my central bold area.:D :cool: -need a crying ,laughing smiley.(ah)who needs a bean bag.:)

Lol, the Dr seems to be the ideal camera support:D

Subzero 14-02-06 18:59

Thanks Christine and Andy for the info, interesting!
Keep up the laughs Dr Singh, in these troubled times we all need some humour to lighten the day.
regards Subzero

Jon Sharp 21-02-06 17:02

Just notice this thread - I was extremely annoyed at the cost of some commercial bean bags and decided to make my own. A large bag of polystyrene beads from a sewing shop cost £2.50, (enough for about 6 bean bags).
I'm no sewer so I bought 2 face cloth bags froma store called Wilkinsons at 50p each, they are waterproof, a pillow cover for 25p, (this is a washable cover they sell I used this because it had a zip to seal it), and a length of sticky backed velcro. Total was about £5.65.
I filled the pillow cover with the beads to the desired amount, then stuffed it into one of the facecloth bags, on one of the face cloth bags I put the velcro on the outside and on the other in the inside. I then joind the two together.

For me it works a treat.

nirofo 21-02-06 17:47

Been (If you pardon the pun) using them home made for years, don't see any justification in the high prices they charge for a commercially manufactured product that is rarely satisfactory anyway! I make them quite large to fit over my car window. I regularly use my 500 + 1.4 converter on this arrangement, I even use the 2x converter on occasion, very stable unless you start to rock the car.

nirofo.

Subzero 22-02-06 20:53

Jon and Nirofo,
sorrying for my bad manners in not replying sooner.Love your suggestions and even more your costs , excellent.I have made 3 different size bags, no big deal.
One from peas/poly bag and piece of camo cloth, weight 1.5 kg.
One from a bag of ??? (clay pellets used by gardeners for decorating the top of house plants), poly bag and piece of camo cloth, weight 1 kg.
One from a bag of ??? (sack of material you put into microwave, to warm up and put on muscle injuries) poly bag and outer of camo material. weight 3/4kg.
Cost excluding the muscle bag (gift from whimp of a brother) = peas £1,clay pellets 80p, poly bags free, camo material 1mx1m £3, box of chocks for wife for sowing £3.50.
Many new to photography maybe thinking whats all the fuss about bean bags.Well they can act as a poor persons tripod, be used for dampening vibration on long/big lenses (Andy Bright), counterbalance a digigiscoping outfit (Christine),folded over car windows to steady a lens (nirofo),laid on the floor to cradle a camera for close ups of bugs/flowers/fungi etc, rested on car roofs to cradle a lens, or bunched on something so that you can line up your camera and allways be in the family photo.
regards Subzero.

Andy 22-02-06 22:24

I've used my beanbag as a pillow before now ;)

Don Hoey 22-02-06 22:34

Quote:

I've used my beanbag as a pillow before now ;)

Sleeping on the job then !! :D

Don

nirofo 23-02-06 00:28

Just one point which may be of interest, the bean bag works far better if it is quite heavy and not too tightly filled. e.g. A telephoto lens sits far better if you are able to snuggle it down among the beans (whatever). I make my bean bags 12" long by 9" wide, with a 2" wall all round, (takes a lot of beans). I also make a platform to sit over the car window, this is basically two pieces of 2" x 1" x 8" wood with strips of rubber glued to one of the flat sides. Onto these 2 pieces of wood is screwed centrally a platform of 3/8" plywood 8" x 11", the 2 pieces of wood need to be fitted fairly tightly to the thickness of the glass in your car window before screwing on the platform. The bean bag then sits on top of this platform and hangs over the edge, it is held in place with velcro. I use this setup regularly with my Nikkor 500 f4 + 1.4 converter, sometimes even my 2x converter. It is very stable provided you don't rock the car. The platform is large enough to enable you to leave the lens on it hands free while you wait for something to happen.

nirofo.