World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New BBC 4 tv series (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2776)

Don Hoey 12-10-07 20:30

New BBC 4 tv series

Extract from this weeks Amateur Photography.

AP in BBC4 photo tie up.
AP is to feature a six-part series on photography, starting in the 20th October issue to tie in with a new BBC4 series, The Genius of Photography.
The TV series - billed as the most comprehensive history of photography to be screened. The series of six one-hour programs will feature contributions from some of the worlds great photographers, and include different historical processes, photojournalism and art photography.
The series starts screening on 25th October on BBC4.

What was I doing today ...................... installing a new TV aerial to go with Stevies new TV. Just got to make sure we can get the channel now. :) :rolleyes:

Don

Saphire 12-10-07 20:49

Thanks for that Don, I have stuck a label to my monitor so I won't forget.

Don Hoey 12-10-07 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 23717)
Just got to make sure we can get the channel now. :) :rolleyes:

Don

Up and running. :)

Don

Christine 12-10-07 21:18

thanks,Don.

miketoll 12-10-07 22:17

Thanks Don, sounds good.

Gidders 13-10-07 10:33

Thanks Don. Going to have to work out how my DVD recorder works now :confused: as I'm out on Thursdays

Canis Vulpes 13-10-07 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidders (Post 23730)
Thanks Don. Going to have to work out how my DVD recorder works now :confused: as I'm out on Thursdays

:D Ask your daughter! :D :D

anthony.rowell 14-10-07 16:36

I only have a online TV times Don but i looked for the program you mentioned
on the 20 0ct but cant see it att all ! cheers.,Tony.

Don Hoey 14-10-07 19:23

Tony,

AP is running a weekly series in conjuction with the program. First article to appear in AP issued on the 20th October.

The program screens on Thursday October 25th http://uk-tv-guide.com/list/BBC+4/25+October+2007

I have also found a link to week by week programme content http://www.walltowall.co.uk/catalogu...?w2wprogram=15

Don

anthony.rowell 14-10-07 19:59

Thank you Don for reply and info sounds interesting,cheers.Tony.

mw_aurora 16-10-07 18:54

Hope this series goes to DVD soon - can't get any BBC content over here :(

Canis Vulpes 25-10-07 20:29

Starts in 30 minutes.

Don Hoey 25-10-07 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24035)
Starts in 30 minutes.

:eek: and I cannot record it as I don't have latest kit in that dept. :)

Thanks Foxy

Don

mw_aurora 25-10-07 23:08

So, did anyone watch it? Was it any good?

yelvertoft 26-10-07 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mw_aurora (Post 24041)
So, did anyone watch it? Was it any good?

Yes,

I watched it. It was interesting enough. As you might imagine, the first programme described some of the early pioneers of the photographic process. I was particularly fascinated by the Daguerreotype pictures and the mirror style images it produced.

Thanks to Foxy for the 30 minute warning reminder, otherwise I'd have missed it. I've now set the box to record the series.

Canis Vulpes 26-10-07 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 24036)
:eek: and I cannot record it as I don't have latest kit in that dept. :)

I don't have any kit to record it either, VCR has been a clock for many years not connected to anything!

Duncan: is there any way we can convert the program to mpeg file for Mark (mw_aurora) so he can watch on his computer. Recording to DVD may not work as DVD's have regions and the United States use NTSC television standard.

I am thinking about ftp-ing a file to use on a computer.

Could anyone else help out?

Saphire 26-10-07 09:55

Brilliant program, I would have missed it also without the reminder. Thanks Foxy.

Will windows media player or Nere do the convert to mpeg, I know both have built in conversions.

Don Hoey 26-10-07 10:52

I agree with Duncan and his comment on the Daguerreotype process as I have never seen a plate in real life. So seeing the process to final image was facinating. No wonder its use was so limited.
Fox Talbott using paper negs brought back a few memories as I used that process in producing images of some 16th/17th century cottages years ago.

So yes I enjoyed it and look forward to next weeks episode.

Don

yelvertoft 26-10-07 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24044)
Duncan: is there any way we can convert the program to mpeg file for Mark (mw_aurora) so he can watch on his computer. Recording to DVD may not work as DVD's have regions and the United States use NTSC television standard.

I am thinking about ftp-ing a file to use on a computer.

I'll have a look to see what can be done. I have it recorded on DVD-RAM in PAL format at the moment which, as you say, will be no use for Mark (or will it? Mark, please advise if you have the capability to view a DVD which is not region encoded).

A friend of mine records stuff on his DVD-RAM recorder and then gets it converted to send to some other friends in the States, so it can be done, I just need to find out how.

Not sure about ftp, the file(s) will be huge for an hour long programme.

D.

Canis Vulpes 26-10-07 13:20

The BBC have complied a web page for the new series ---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/genius/

I was hoping for a 'watch again' link :)

mw_aurora 26-10-07 13:38

Thanks chaps, very thoughtful!

I have a region unlocked DVD player and brought over a PAL TV that could handle the power here - I was covering all the bases ;)

I am not sure about the legality of sending me the programme though :(

There used to be "watch again" on the BBC website but they got rid of it a while ago. I recently went through the process of getting the BBC iPlayer...after jumping through download, installation and license agreement hoops, it gave me a list of programmes...I picked Top Gear...it said something like "You are not in the UK, you can't watch it"...(repeat with various programmes).

All very annoying - I would be happy to pay a license fee to get the content (I can't stand the TV programming over here).

Don Hoey 26-10-07 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
Following on from last nights BBC4 programme I thought I would give pinhole photography a go.

Nothing scientific about this shot, a step back in time to see what would happen . I taped a bit of kitchen foil over the end of a 28mm extension tube and punched a hole with a sewing pin.
Possibly the lack of sharpness is down to the ragged inside edge. Perhaps I will fare better with the base of aluminium from a drinks can as the inside could be rubbed down to give a clean hole.

Nothing is visible through the viewfinder so framing is by trial and error. Exposure was 6 secs at ISO400. I have no idea what the aperture would have been. Camera to subject distance was around 3ft.

Don

mw_aurora 26-10-07 18:35

Great stuff Don...reminded me of a £5000 pinhole camera that Keith Cooper wrote about a while ago:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...s_pinhole.html

I have been meaning to make his zoom version...real blue peter stuff :)

Combine it with the WPF DIY ringflash...full portrait kit ;)

Saphire 26-10-07 18:45

Brilliant Don, I wondered how long it would be before you had a go.

Don Hoey 26-10-07 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 24059)
Brilliant Don, I wondered how long it would be before you had a go.

:D :D

Now I have saved Marks link I have a project for tomorrow. ;)

Don

Christine 26-10-07 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24048)
The BBC have complied a web page for the new series ---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/genius/

I was hoping for a 'watch again' link :)

There is a repeat showing,Monday 29th on BBC 4,so it says on the website link,I think,will just check again

Adey Baker 27-10-07 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine (Post 24062)
There is a repeat showing,Monday 29th on BBC 4,so it says on the website link,I think,will just check again

And the series will be repeated on BBC2 sometime next year

Joe 27-10-07 20:17

Was a nice programme.....good to see they did the camera obscura thang. they filmed it well for the TV programme too!
I guess referencing 'past masters' is going to be a theme in the series, but it is good to see some less obvious names in there too....Looking forward to them skipping through to some more 'modern' stuff too :)
Looking forward to the next instalment next week

Don, Pinhole photography has a massive following, I guess you have found some websites already?....I'm sure I remember a club with a website, called something like f196 club (or something like that??)...not sure if they are still going?
After eating mum's sweets I got bored using the metal tin as a make-shift camera.....similar effects achieved by drilling a hole in an SLR body cap and taking a picture through it, instead of using a lens. It was a bit hit and miss with the drill size. might be worth a try with DSLR body? (removing the cap to drill the hole in it reduces the risk of damaging the camera's mirror! LOL)

Canis Vulpes 01-11-07 16:49

Advance warning:- Programme 2 on this evening BBC4 21:00

Don Hoey 01-11-07 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24248)
Advance warning:- Programme 2 on this evening BBC4 21:00

Thanks Foxy. This time I have remembered. :)

Don

Canis Vulpes 02-11-07 17:12

So... what did we all make of programme 2?

Don Hoey 09-11-07 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24281)
So... what did we all make of programme 2?

Programme 2 did not do that much for me, but programme 3, different story.

There were quite a number of war images. In the case of Tony Voccaro it showed the skill and bravery required to record some pretty guesome scenes. I was really struck by Joel Meyerowitz's images of the aftermath of the World Trade Centre. Images by W Eugene Smith have really set me a challenge of finding my way to getting a method of achieving the best from B & W conversion. Seriously impressed by the printing.

I cannot record these programmes as I do not have the technology so I will watch the repeat.

Don

yelvertoft 09-11-07 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 24433)
Programme 2 did not do that much for me, but programme 3, different story.

There were quite a number of war images. In the case of Tony Voccaro it showed the skill and bravery required to record some pretty guesome scenes. I was really struck by Joel Meyerowitz's images of the aftermath of the World Trade Centre. Images by W Eugene Smith have really set me a challenge of finding my way to getting a method of achieving the best from B & W conversion. Seriously impressed by the printing.

I cannot record these programmes as I do not have the technology so I will watch the repeat.

Don

Agree with Don on this. Programme 2 was a bit of a let down from the first week. Last nights was far more attention grabbing for me. Particularly impressed by Tony Voccaro's tales of developing film on a moonless night in a series of tin helmets. It was a real shame that the films in question were destryed by the military censor, they would no doubt have been valuable historical records now, though it is difficult to judge the standards and values of one period of history against another.

Duncan

miketoll 09-11-07 16:32

Agree with both Don and yelvertoft. It was also interesting that people were being stopped from photographing 'ground zero'. Censors rule ok now as then!

Canis Vulpes 09-11-07 18:12

Arrhhh guys, I missed programme 3 :o

Sounds as though it was interesting.

Adey Baker 09-11-07 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 24442)
Arrhhh guys, I missed programme 3 :o

Sounds as though it was interesting.

It's repeated on Monday evening at 8:00pm on BBC4

Hearing about Tony Voccaro's tales certainly puts my puny photographic efforts into some sort of perspective!

yelvertoft 10-11-07 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketoll (Post 24440)
It was also interesting that people were being stopped from photographing 'ground zero'. Censors rule ok now as then!

Did anybody else think this was was more that a little ironic? In his comments on the "War on Terror", George W stresses how the perpetrators of 9/11 'want to destroy our liberty and our freedom', or similar words along those lines.

Adey Baker 16-11-07 21:28

Last night's programme was very good, I thought. Mainly American photographers featured, but the subject was probably better to suited to the other side of the pond than here in the UK - though some of the beach shots taken here were good.

The programme was sandwiched between two other photo programmes, both good, making it an excellent evening for snappers to tune in to! Lots of thought-provoking ideas.

The first series of programmes on the archives of Albert Kahn, originally shown on BBC4 has also started a re-run this evening - well worth watching (if you missed it tonight, there are four more programmes to follow).

miketoll 17-11-07 16:56

The type of photography covered this week is not my cup of tea but I loved the photos by James Ravillious in the programme that followed.

Don Hoey 17-11-07 18:09

Same boat as you Mike. So far its two out of four for me.

Don