World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Phase One Capture One v4 (final) released (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3011)

yelvertoft 26-12-07 17:50

Phase One Capture One v4 (final) released

Phase One have now released a full version of Capture One v4 raw file processing software. If you have a copy of v3.x.x you can get v4 activated as a free upgrade. For a while now, SanDisk Extreme III cards came with a free licence key for v3.7.7, if you install v3.7.7 and activate it using the free key, you can then download and upgrade v4 for free.

Bit of a bargain really.

Download v4 here:
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Duncan

John Hallas 26-12-07 18:24

What does Phase One offer over and above Canon Digital Processing and PS Camera Raw?
The offer seems pretty good if you are buying a SanDisk though

yelvertoft 26-12-07 21:16

Not being a Canon user, I'm not familiar with Canon DPP, but I much prefer Capture 1 over Adobe Camera raw because of the degree of control it gives you. There is a much wider range of adjustment/controls available in C1 and the output is of much higher quality in terms of the way it renders colours and the quality of sharpening. Adobe Camera raw is a pretty basic package with what you can do with it in reality.

There's nothing to stop you downloading C1 v4 and using it on the 30 day trial you get anyway even if you haven't got a licence key at the moment. I know that quite recently, SanDisk Extreme III cards bought from http://www.picstop.co.uk/ were still coming with the free licence.

Give it a go on the 30 day evaluation, see how you get on. The user interface is similar to Adobe Lightroom if you've used that.

Regards,

Duncan

kwanon 27-12-07 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 25605)
...if you install v3.7.7 and activate it using the free key, you can then download and upgrade v4 for free....

Why not just download version 4 and use the same license key.

yelvertoft 27-12-07 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwanon (Post 25624)
Why not just download version 4 and use the same license key.

Because it won't let you do that. The licence is for v3.x.x and allows ONE free upGRADE, upDATES (to 4.x.x etc) are free too, but the free licence with the Sandisk cards are for v3.x.x. You use the free upgrade to go to v4.x.x. if that makes sense.

Duncan

kwanon 27-12-07 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 25628)
Because it won't let you do that. The licence is for v3.x.x and allows ONE free upGRADE, upDATES (to 4.x.x etc) are free too, but the free licence with the Sandisk cards are for v3.x.x. You use the free upgrade to go to v4.x.x. if that makes sense.

Duncan

Well I did it.

I downloaded v4 and used the licence key for v3.5.1 which I've had for 3 years. (I can't see that it being supplied as Sandisk freebie would make any difference).

I now have two versions of this running side by side. v3 and v4.

Saphire 27-12-07 22:02

How long did you have to wait to get the activation key, I have been waiting a couple of days. I have tried my key from 3.77 and it wouldn't work.

yelvertoft 27-12-07 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 25631)
How long did you have to wait to get the activation key, I have been waiting a couple of days. I have tried my key from 3.77 and it wouldn't work.

Christine, please explain "wouldn't work". Have you registered your copy of 3.7.7? This involves creating a user profile with Phase One. If you haven't registered your copy of 3.7.7, it won't let you register v4.

It would appear that Kwanon has got a registered copy of 3.x.x and been using that, so the update to v4 has worked fine. You can't use the key for 3.x.x directly against v4. You have to register your key against v3 first, which involves creating a Capture 1 profile, then upgrade to v4. You can download v3.7.7 from here:
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/COforWIN.aspx
Click on the green arrow and follow the instructions.

Duncan

Saphire 27-12-07 22:20

I always login there when I download the updates, I wonder why its not registering. I was able to log in to download version 4.

Saphire 27-12-07 22:34

On my Version 3.77 when I go to license Activation it says it is already active but with no numbers, online in phase one its says its a 30day trial. I will email them to find out what is wrong.

yelvertoft 28-12-07 10:23

Christine,
If you raise a support case with Phase One, they are pretty quick to sort any problems out. Are you saying you v4 is working and activated, but your v3 isn't? Hope you get it working.

Duncan

Saphire 28-12-07 10:47

Duncan ver 3 is activated but with no serial No for me to put to activate version 4 and I can't find my disk.. Ver 4 keeps asking to be activated.

Rudra Sen 28-12-07 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 25608)
Not being a Canon user, I'm not familiar with Canon DPP, but I much prefer Capture 1 over Adobe Camera raw because of the degree of control it gives you. There is a much wider range of adjustment/controls available in C1 and the output is of much higher quality in terms of the way it renders colours and the quality of sharpening.

I like to believe this too. Though I do not have any isuue with Canon DPP but additional fine tuning is always welcome.

I'm yet to buy this package. How much it's selling for in UK?

yelvertoft 28-12-07 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 25640)
I'm yet to buy this package. How much it's selling for in UK?

If you pay full price, it's €99, directly from Phase One, so that's about £60 UK. But I dare say there's plenty of people who've bought a Sandisk Extreme III card recently who have no desire to use the free licence key that came with it. I dare say that if you ask if someone has a key they don't want, one will turn up. you can then use the free upgrade with this key to get v4. By the way, the upgrade doesn't disable v3, you have both versions working side by side. The user interface on v3 is hopelessly non-intuitive, but once you know what all the buttons do, and where they are it's a very powerful tool particularly if you're processing hundreds of images at the same time - something that's a bit of a backward step in v4 (which has a much nicer UI btw).

Regards,

Duncan

Derekb 28-12-07 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 25641)
I dare say that if you ask if someone has a key they don't want, one will turn up.

That would be me then, as I'm using NX.

In fact I may have two lying around... more than happy to help. :)

Saphire 28-12-07 12:00

I have done a search and it looks like it was amongst the disks that were taken in the breakin I had the pro version. Oh well not much I can do about it now.

graham harcombe 02-01-08 12:55

A word of warning. Not all camera types are supported. I went through the full process and bought my Extreme III card, to find that Panasonic Lumix RAW format it not included.

Curses!

yelvertoft 02-01-08 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by graham harcombe (Post 25877)
A word of warning. Not all camera types are supported. I went through the full process and bought my Extreme III card, to find that Panasonic Lumix RAW format it not included.

Curses!

It's worth reading the release notes here:
http://80.237.159.100/330a3505-0085-...se%20notes.pdf
to check others don't fall into this trap, or any others.

Saphire 04-01-08 10:34

Does anyone know whether they will be bringing out a 3.8 pro ver, I have checked on their website and they are still talking about the up-grade from LE to 4. Ver 3.77 doesn't support the 40D.

yelvertoft 04-01-08 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 25941)
Does anyone know whether they will be bringing out a 3.8 pro ver, I have checked on their website and they are still talking about the up-grade from LE to 4. Ver 3.77 doesn't support the 40D.

Christine, it would appear that there will be a v3.7.8 which will include 40D support. Release date "soon", though it has to be said, Phase One use the word "soon" in a context most other people are not familair with ;) . See;
http://forum.phaseone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4188

Saphire 04-01-08 13:15

Thanks Duncan, I thought they had a forum but couldn't find it. I hope its not too long before they bring out support for the 40D, I can just do a straight update I won't need the disks for the key.
My only gripe with Phase one is they are very slow in bringing out up-dates for new cameras. I think a lot of users are moving on to something else they are getting fed up of waiting. I bought my Pro ver from someone who had enough of them.

yelvertoft 04-01-08 13:42

Chrisitne,
Be warned when reading the user-user support forum, you'd believe that the program was single handedly responsible for global disaster the way that people moan. As ever with many fora, those who are happy with something just get on and use it, those that aren't moan from the rooftops.

yelvertoft 14-02-08 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 25953)
I hope its not too long before they bring out support for the 40D, I can just do a straight update I won't need the disks for the key.
My only gripe with Phase one is they are very slow in bringing out up-dates for new cameras. I think a lot of users are moving on to something else they are getting fed up of waiting. I bought my Pro ver from someone who had enough of them.

Christine, your wait is over. Capture One Pro v3.7.8 is now released, and it supports (amongst others) the 40D.

Link for download
http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/COforWIN.aspx

Release notes - gives full details of which cameras are supported.
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content...e-286dc6de4b59

Anyone who has switched to v4, there's v4.0.1 now out too.