World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Macro Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Which Macro Lens? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4198)

weeds 26-02-09 23:49

Which Macro Lens?

Hi All,

In have recently discovered the world of macro photography and I am looking at purchasing my first macro lens. I have a D90 and am looking at the Nikkor Micro 60mm f2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f2.8 or the Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Can anyone help with me with choosing the best lens. I want to take photos of all things small not just one particular item.

Thanks

blackmarlin 26-02-09 23:57

Try the Sigma 105mm macro

weeds 27-02-09 00:08

How does the Sigma 105mm compare to the Nikkor lenses? I don't mind spending the extra money on a better lens.

Is it better to ge the longer focal length lens?

Thanks,

blackmarlin 27-02-09 01:55

It compares very well, in fact I own one. You really need one with a longer focal length. The sigma scores on being in the same class as the 105mm Nikor but is considerably cheaper, Whatever you do though don't buy one with a short focal length just because it is cheaper, they can make it difficult to get close to your subject.

weeds 27-02-09 03:22

Great and thanks again. I'll see if any of my local camera stores carry the Sigma 105mm in stock. Lens prices here in Oz are going up by around 20% so its advantageous to buy what the retailer has in stock instead of ordering one in.

Weeds.

andy153 27-02-09 07:07

Hi there, I have the 105mm micro Nikkor and the 70-180 Micro Nikkor, which I use in conjunction with screw in close-up filters. I would recommend either. If you are using a tripod you do not need the VR function so a second hand older 105 will do very well. Both these lenses have the advantage of enabling you to stand off from the subject so you do not disturb it. The zoom micro enables you to focus and then frame. If you can afford it, go for Nikkor lenses every time - it's the best long term investment.

Adey Baker 27-02-09 07:31

I suppose it depends on what you mean by the 'world of macro photography.' Static 'still-life' or wildlife, etc? Macro means large and usually refers to life-size or greater (at the film-plane in the camera) but in general use means close-up. Many wildlife subjects, such as butterflies, dragonflies, etc., don't need the closest focus distance on the lens but do benefit from the optical corrections designed into macro lenses. All of the lenses you've mentioned are fine as far as quality of the image goes.

yelvertoft 27-02-09 08:33

Any of the lenses you shortlisted will give good image quality. I use the Sigma 105 and am very happy with it. As Adey says, a lot depends on what you want to do with your lens. You are in the best position to decide which is hte best for you.

As you say, there's a cost benefit in buying something that's in stock, so go into shops and try lenses. Pick the one that you are happiest with.

Rudra Sen 27-02-09 17:26

A block macro lens with long focal length is a good investment.
Let me throw a stone at hornets nest...why not a 200mm macro? :D

You'll struggle less to get a good shot for sure.

walwyn 27-02-09 21:52

If you already have a zoom lens why not try a Raynox DCR-250 at £35?

mcliu 28-02-09 11:00

I am using Raynox DCR -250 with my Nikon 70-210 mm Lens for macro work.. It is good and cheaper alternative..
But dadicated Macro lens is far ahead... In fact on my next shooting session, I am going to try my Macro lens with Raynox DCR -250 let see what happens

Liu

weeds 28-02-09 13:17

Seems like the best way to go is a dedicated macro lens. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm also thinking of investing in a light cube/tent for any indoor work for everyday items.

Is it worth the trouble to get one? If so any recommendations on brand?

Adey Baker 28-02-09 14:42

All of the lenses referred to here, and several other good ones not mentioned, will perform very well over the 'normal' focus distances, so you can use them for other purposes as well. I've used a 50mm macro as an all-round standard lens for many years (though it's effectively an 80mm portrait/short telephoto lens on my 1.6x crop-factor Canon digital bodies).

yelvertoft 28-02-09 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 34450)
I'm also thinking of investing in a light cube/tent for any indoor work for everyday items.

Is it worth the trouble to get one? If so any recommendations on brand?

If you're a bit of a handyman, you could make one from some net curtain material and bits of wire for next to nothing. That's pretty much all they are.

weeds 08-03-09 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmarlin (Post 34413)
Try the Sigma 105mm macro

I have looked round my local retailers and have found 2 good alternatives.

1. Sigma Lens 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Is this to Sigma lens to which you are referring?

2. Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens.

Both of these have good reviews.

If I a unable to get the Nikkor lens would it be better to go with a Tamron or SIgma Lens?

Cheers.

yelvertoft 08-03-09 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 34603)
I have looked round my local retailers and have found 2 good alternatives.

1. Sigma Lens 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Is this to Sigma lens to which you are referring?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 34603)
2. Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens.

Both of these have good reviews.

If I a unable to get the Nikkor lens would it be better to go with a Tamron or Sigma Lens?

Even if you ARE able to get the Nikkor, either of the above Sigma/Tamron products will be worth considering.

Don't get hung up over the badge. Writing any particular text on the packaging does not confer magical properties on the contents. Which one is best is YOUR choice. You may like or dislike the handling/controls/balance of any one of the lenses under discussion. Others may like the one you don't get on with and vice versa.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the items you are considering, they are all very good. The final choice is down to YOU.

Duncan

weeds 11-03-09 10:58

Great news. My Nikkor 105mm Micro Lens has finally arrived and I pick it up tomorrow!!! Woo hoo!!

I'm off on the weekend to take heaps of snaps. Is there any subject that anyone would recommend to photograph to get to grip with the world of macro photography?? I haven't chosen subject matter to focus on only. I am after any advice on what would be a good starting point for a beginner.

I know this is a broad question but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

walwyn 11-03-09 11:13

Try decorative packages, indoor plants, something you can rely on not to move. Try spraying water onto leaves etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/s...7594101162264/

weeds 12-03-09 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by walwyn (Post 34672)
Try decorative packages, indoor plants, something you can rely on not to move. Try spraying water onto leaves etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/s...7594101162264/

I've just taken a few shots of the items you suggested. Of course I have a few lighting problems but I will buy the necessary equipment.

I have just checked out your series of macro droplet shots on flickr and they are AMAZING!! :eek: How do you get the water droplets so perfectly round and to hang there? Do you use any special gear?

walwyn 12-03-09 12:15

Reply sorry those aren't my photos. They are by Brian Valentine he discusses how to do it here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/macrovi...7594313729574/

sassan 06-05-09 05:27

Congratulation on your choice and purchase.
For everyone else with the same question, my personal answer is only and only

Sigma 105mm.

Anything else is at most, the same quality but for more money.

deci 06-05-09 17:21

I've got a Siggy 105mm as well and its almost perfect for my use. Only thing I'm not to keen on is the way it extends when focussing.

weeds 25-05-09 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by deci (Post 35872)
I've got a Siggy 105mm as well and its almost perfect for my use. Only thing I'm not to keen on is the way it extends when focussing.

I guess its down to personal choice. The extension when the Sigma 105 and the Tamron 90mm is what steered me towards the Nikko 105mm Micro.......plus I got it before the price rise kicked in down here is Oz :D

But whatever you get, the world of Macro is awesome!

deci 25-05-09 04:53

I'm afraid being a lowly Canon man (:p), the Nikkor wouldn't really be a good choice. The lens extending like it does just forced me to get a Canon 60mm macro......... Thats what Mrs. deci was told anyway. Makes for a decent indoor portrait lens as well. Still prefer the 105 when it comes to stingy, bitey things though.:eek:

weeds 25-05-09 14:13

Hi Deci,

I am staring to venture into the flash side of Macro and would appreciate any advice on lighting and positioning of flashes if you have any to give.

deci 25-05-09 17:03

Mr Weeds,
I'm no expert, far from it and have no special macro set up. However, I am the proud owner of a Jessops off camera flash cord (much cheaper than OEM variants) and usually use that when I use flash for macro stuff. It allows you to position the flash much better than is possible with a flash on the hot shoe.
If money was no object, then I'd go for a ring flash, that fits around the lens or I'd get a second flash unit (coupled with a few reflector cards) for a more even lighting effect.
Probably not the help you where hoping for, but the sum total of my knowledge ;)

Edit ............. If you've been to my web site and looked at the 'Photo' bit, I can hoinestly say that the 3(?) samples of macro there where done using the 'suck it and see' method. ;)

sassan 29-05-09 00:42

I second the suggestion for off the camera dedicated flash extension cord.

weeds 01-06-09 05:29

Hi Deci,

Thanks for the info. I am looking at either the R1 unit for Nikon, which is the R1C1 minus the SU-800 commader unit. Or maybe a secon Speedlight flash that can be place wirelessly. I am wondering where are the best places to place 2 flashes to evenly light up a subject? For example. 1 at the side and 1 at the rear or 1 flash at each side of the subject etc.

If anyone has any basic knowledge on lighting amcro it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don Hoey 01-06-09 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 36618)
............If anyone has any basic knowledge on lighting amcro it would be appreciated.

Cheers

It would be well worth your while going through the Flash forum first then post any questions specific to your particular subject. If it is flowers then I suggest looking at Wolfies gallery as he has done a lot of super stuff with flash. Somewhere in the Flash or Macro forums he has given quite detailed info on how he does the lighting.
Wolfie uses Canon but that does not matter. In this case, to rip off and twist the slogan ' If Canon Can, Anyone Else Can ' :D :D :D

Don

Don Hoey 01-06-09 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 36618)
........If anyone has any basic knowledge on lighting amcro it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Further to my last post I have dug up three threads to get you going.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?t=94&page=4

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1618

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1860

I hope something in there is useful. :)

Don