World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   please respond (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1274)

purplebyron 22-07-06 11:37

please respond

ok .. i dont know how to say all these things, but i will attempt to voice an opinion on matters which concern me.
I have concerns on this site regarding the opportunities which this web site has given us (people interested in photography) - which are huge.
I feel there is a lack of energy and discussion about the pictures that people post, is this site just for placing our efforts and people from where-ever just browsing and then leave without leaving something of their thoughts and opinions. Or is this a place in which great things regarding photography can be digested and expressed and debated.
Sometimes i take a picture and i dont know whether it is any good or not, so i post some undecided pics hoping for some honest critique and realise that the critique forum is not a bustling place filled with ideas and opinions... why?

what is the function of this site?
How do i become a better photographer?
i believe there has been enormous efforts on behalf of the people who created this place, giving us the opporunities to discuss and present work, so bettering our ideas of what works and what doesnt work in the world of photography.

is this web site a place for polite infrequent conversations, where anonymous ghostly photographers visit and dissapear without leaving a mark or comment?

TO CONCLUDE
This is a place where valued opinions potentially exist
this site to me is a place where i try out new ideas and really want opinions on what i place on view, i dont mind and welcome harsh critique. I wish people hung about more and ventured deep into the forums where things could be discussed in depth ... this site is brilliant, the opportunities are enormous, it just seems very ephemeral and transitory ... anonymous people placing anonymous pictures.

Al Tee 22-07-06 12:03

Ah well..in with both feet so to speak!...I'm with you here Purplebyron...great site but feel the critique area is a place where members fear to tread, settling for posting a photo in the applicable category in the hope of a polite comment...I do it but I suppose, (feel), I've been sucked in to following everyone else as that's the done thing on this site.
I'd like to see far more posts in the critique category, I'd like some sharp ctiticism, no doubt I'll like some things & not others, heed some criticism & disregard other. I'm not going to improve otherwise!
Well, I'm going to post my future pics / images in the critique area...anyone else feel the same?
Al.

Nogbad 22-07-06 12:20

Hi, I dont think other members make comments for fear of upsetting other members.

I get the impression many members are like myself, new to Photography, and perhaps feel their comments may not be valid.

Sometimes it's a case you may not have a comment to make.

I recently posted a critique of some Clematis Stamens. It had lots of views but no comments.

Thats OK as there were no harsh comments(although I take on board Criticism) so I take it people thought it was an OK image.

It is a great site and I visit when I can despite being busy.

Nogbad

Andy 22-07-06 12:58

In general, the main gallery is simply a location to show your images, it's not really the place for critique, as much because it's not set out in a forum style... the comments section doesn't really lend itself to discussion.

The Critique froum section seems reasonably popular, almost all images uploaded here will get feedback... though I do see you have been rather unlucky in not receiving any feedback as yet. On any photography site, genuine critique from members doesn't come easily.

I suspect that the summer heat is having impact on the site (it's apparant on other sites as well), and a certain amount of lethargy is predictable during the heatwaves that are striking both sides of the Atlantic.

cheers
Andy

robski 22-07-06 13:03

Purplebyron

Your point of view has been expressed many times before in various forms. Nogbad point is valid as a few members have not understood or taken mild comments on the chin. Photography is no doubt a process of leaning by your mistakes.

In some cases the photo just does not work and it never will regardless how hard you try. Other times it's the combination of subject and lighting conditions. Sometimes the subject maybe nice but it need something special or unusaul to set it off and keep the attention.

Images with obvisious errors are easier to critique than images which are well exposed, in focus, good DOF but just lack that sparkle or essence that was in the photographers eye. Remember the photographic medium cannot always capture the full latitude of the tonal range or the veiwer brain enhances what the eye sees.

In these sort of cases it is just best to ask "Does it work ?" or "Bin or Keep ?"

Snowyowl 22-07-06 13:17

I've posted various pictures on in the Critique forum and have received valuable feedback. I occasionally add comments to a critique thread but don't feel skilled enough to say very much. I don't usually post negative comments in individual's Galleries, that's their space and it doesn't seem polite to post negative comments there , only if invited to do so.
The real bottom line, I think, is that this forum is what we make it. If you (or I) respond to requests for critiques then that's all we can do. People can't be forced to respond. Just do your bit and hope that other people will do the same. If the Critique arrea is quiet it's because individuals like you and like me are neglecting it.
I don't find anything wrong with WPF. I wish I got more comments on my pictures but lack of comment often means that the pictures weren't interesting enough to draw comment and then it's up to me to post shots that catch people's attention.
As for technical discussion, there are/have been some excellent threads running in areas like The Digital Darkroom.
Now I'm leaving to look at the pictures that you wanted comments on and if i have time I might even post something of my own to be torn apart.:eek: ;)

purplebyron 22-07-06 18:09

well this is great ... there are people out there who feel the same way as i do.
i think we all know when we have a great pic, this is fine ... but i bet there are a large amount of pics in some folder somewhere taking up comp space that you can neither discard or know whether to keep, as someone above wrote there is a hell of a lot of subjective and personal association that goes with a pic ... its difficult sometimes to see the wood from the trees , this is where this site becomes invaluable .... from an objective stand point ..... i am enthused by the replies to this thread and i am warmed by the friendly and honest and like minded people in here .... many many thanks for taking the time to respond .... thanks people

purplebyron 22-07-06 18:13

one more point ... perhaps there should be a further forum thread that in addition of the critique room ... could be a simple one entitled ..... BIN OR KEEP

boff 22-07-06 23:35

Hi as a serial lurker of long standing, I recently decided that this was a site where i could finally "come out of the closet".
this post made me think about what I take,without putting back. I have seen countless photos both good and bad, and felt that as the photographer had put it up then they were happy with the shot.
my idea has always been,i shoot what i see,i show you what i saw.[countless rolls of film in my OM10 made me that way].I see now that some people have a different philosophy, so in future when asked i will try to leave some idea about why i like or dislike a photo. my kids gave me my user name,and as they are always RIGHT! it may take me a bit of time to change.

PS had to do this late because of the laughter i hear behind me.

Christine 23-07-06 00:38

I do not think it does any harm to make a comment on a Gallery shot,as such.I have done this a couple of times myself on BF.If you can see that someone could have improved the image,or you can see where something has gone somewhat wrong,I think it is kinder to mention than just to view the image and make no comment.I think the poster would be grateful for having any problems pointed out.I know I would.

rogerscoth 23-07-06 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplebyron
one more point ... perhaps there should be a further forum thread that in addition of the critique room ... could be a simple one entitled ..... BIN OR KEEP

That's a very good suggestion of yours, and I thank you for starting this interesting thread in the first place - it has generated some good responses . I often make fleeting visits to this forum just to look at certain threads of particular interest at the time, and very often do not look at the pictures. I do appreciate the pictures when I do look, but I have only posted two myself in the gallery (January) that have attracted eleven viewers and no comments each.

Roger

sassan 23-07-06 20:21

Hi everyone and thanks purplebyron for bringing this point out. I completely share your view point.
I am coming here from another site that people go shading blood on critique and actually can't say I am totally against it as I seem to have learned a lot. What made me to leave that site was injustice and disrespect of Admins and managers of the site to participants and members, a thing that you just see the opposite here. Truly I really like the polite dominant atmosphere of WPF, thing is one needs to get aware of all possibilities here and as navigation is a bite difficult here(Please excuse me for bringing this up), one needs to get to know site well first.
I personally truly believe that one can make the worst possible (But right) critiques from a picture, but in way that is acceptable to listener who actually could like the gain in information at the end, when this is compatible with the way critique is express. I personally mostly try to leave 2 section in my comments on "Gallery", the "Pros" and "Cones", or in photographers language, Positives and Negatives. I never take any critics word as if written on stone, instead a reflection of a kind person's view in interaction with a picture. I can only give that advise to you that I am aware off, that could be completely useless to you or very important. You won't be knowing that unless see me, placing those words. I can learn, pass or forget as the condition may mandate, that is it for me.
Though I fully respect the well separation of Critique & Gallery here on WPF, me too, would like to see more comments about my pictures in both sections, and may be combining the 2 could theoretically increase that likelihood, however there is a reason that I am here and not on other photo site, that could well be just this simple separation as I am not sure of that reason but see that it works for me.
It is easy to develop a peer group and members of community that you can interact with easily and feel comfortable with, others then turn into valuable potential bonus.
As for now I am trying to leave less critiques in Gallery, but won't hesitate to express my feeling even though I might be a lot less experience than the person that I leave my notes for. BTW I may admit that, this happens with a grain of salt and I make sure not to repeat if I see the photographer is too sensitive to my words, if so expressed. I am still not sure about those who do not made any comments, (I do try to go back and check response of others on my notes, within the limitations of site). Lets use this opportunity and ask anyone who does not like to see my comments on their pictures and will gladly try not to bother them in future, at the same time I am requesting everyone to interact freely with my pictures. I love to see more comments as every comment is a way of looking at something new that can potentially improve my work.

I Like the "Bin OR Keep" idea too. In fact would love to see option for checking one out of 3 boxes for every picture in Critique forum or Gallery for: 1- Bin or Negative 2- Not sure 3- Keep or Positive. I understand adding the element of "Not sure" could not help photographer but at least it can be considered as a polite NO or a low grade complimentary YES to photographer as they wish to interpret. At least another indication that some one wanted to somehow acknowledge their work.
Even if this forum does not bring any change, I alway like to see people can bring out the words as I firmly believe 2 can think better than One, One can make the decision better than two, combine the two and a better decision is more likely...

finlaw 25-07-06 22:15

A bin or keep option could prevent alot of people from posting photo's especially people like myself who are not very confident in their ability and or are new to posting photo's. I just feel it is a little bit harsh, on the other hand I would like to see a rating option say maybe from 1 to 5. 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.

At the end of the day though I find peoples comments the most useful as you can gleen a better understanding of where you may or may not be going wrong and learn so much more than a simple bin or keep.

just my humble opinion and maybe I should just have more confidence in my ability - :-)

Fiona

sassan 26-07-06 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by finlaw
A bin or keep option could prevent alot of people from posting photo's especially people like myself who are not very confident in their ability

For a person with such a beautiful name as "Fiona" I think 100% confidence is a must.:)

Fiona good that you expressed yourself. It gets a lot better to participate in the discussion and critiques the same way. It is not about what your professional level in photography that count, its only that simple gut feeling and general perception of a photograph that mater to most reasonable photographers hoping to receive a critique, for everyone else, who cares…

I suggest, to exclude and element the concert of participation, the “Bin, Not sure or Keep” could be kept as an option that if poster, check the box, gets it otherwise you may (But Fiona should not) leave it unchecked.:cool:

Leif 26-07-06 07:48

I think that a problem with a voting system is that friends will vote for each other, skewing the results, and potentially putting off newcomers who are not in cliques. And of course having a picture that gets "null points" from many people is not very nice either. For my own part I like seeing pictures in a less competitive forum.

finlaw 26-07-06 19:38

Flattery will get you everywhere Sassan and I like your idea of being able to choose whether or not you want your picture voted on. That way people aren't discouraged from posting but those who like more competetive edge get it.

Taking the idea further what about the photo with the highest rating (if more than 1 with the same, base it on the number of positive votes) and make it photo of the day or week?

Fiona

Nigel G 26-07-06 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplebyron
this site to me is a place where i try out new ideas and really want opinions on what i place on view, i dont mind and welcome harsh critique. I wish people hung about more and ventured deep into the forums where things could be discussed in depth ... this site is brilliant, the opportunities are enormous, it just seems very ephemeral and transitory ... anonymous people placing anonymous pictures.

Hi purplebyron

In the short life of this site similar views have been represented before and I am sure they will be again but as I believe the site aims to be many things to many people I see plenty of opportunity for serious critique just as there is space for the "nice shot" type comment.

However my main reason for posting is that I am intrigued. I'm pretty new to photography and at present learn a lot from what people say about their own images. So, given that you want comment why do you tell us so little about your pictures. Having looked at all 4 you put in today's gallery there is no exif data, no mention of equipment, no comment on circumstance or why you think it worth posting; not even a title. Again that is entirely your perrogative - but I find it slightly at odds with this thread ??

Dr.Manjeet Singh 27-07-06 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel G
Hi purplebyron

In the short life of this site similar views have been represented before and I am sure they will be again but as I believe the site aims to be many things to many people I see plenty of opportunity for serious critique just as there is space for the "nice shot" type comment.

However my main reason for posting is that I am intrigued. I'm pretty new to photography and at present learn a lot from what people say about their own images. So, given that you want comment why do you tell us so little about your pictures. Having looked at all 4 you put in today's gallery there is no exif data, no mention of equipment, no comment on circumstance or why you think it worth posting; not even a title. Again that is entirely your perrogative - but I find it slightly at odds with this thread ??

Yes Nigel-i agree with you.
I know zero about photography-but that doesnt stop me from liking the pictures.I am sure for all (for me at least)-i would see a picture and say wow
but dont forget i am down this side of the world-For me
A.The place the picture was taken is a must.
B.what time the picture was taken(i no nothing about shutter speed.focusing level etc) for in my mind it tells me was it evening-for then my mind comparse the picture with what i may have seen-thus telling me how close it was to what i saw.(is it beautiful or not)
C.-what the picture taker was feeling when he took the shot -joy sorrow or simply focused on the picture or was it his first try or more.
whic in turn enhances the value of the picture to me in my mind
D.Title of the picture-not just Mb1324- but what the photographer has called it-for then seeing his title in my mind again will improve in its likiing for the shot.(dont forget emosions of the picter taker to the picture he took is also going to influance my mind to say it excellent ,beautiful or just plain.
D.Last not the least-what state my mind was when i saw the picture-was it sad,happy,tired.or simply going through the motions of seeing the pictures uploaded in this web site.
Please dont blame the web but blame ourselfs for lack of what i will say is uploading pictures flooting in space(web space) without any of the things i feel are importent for me to view and comment on the picture-i know i am a nobody in photography-but i am human and being human i like to watch photograph taken by all of you-for it takes me where you"ll are when you take the shot but just having a no. Mgn-2415-it leaves me lost for my mind askes the questions that i wrote above and i dont have the answers so feeling let down i leave and try to see a nother picture which may have all that i wrote above.
I am sorry if i have hurt any bodys feeling-i know nuts about photography and want to learn but seing some of the pictures it leaves me frustrated and incomplate-i hope you understand.I am a healer -i heal people but come to (web)you'LL to be healed(relaxtion of the mind) by watching your pictures,places ,animals-but am left half healed.You'LL take so much time and trouble to take shot but but just a few minutes of your time to say about the picture is missing-I love all of your pics-but for me who has no knowldge of photography must depend on my sences-sight to like a picture and details written about it.
I hope if you'll the mods think i shouldnt have written this and decide that i should leave please inform me-i know most of you"ll will say who is he say all this.I am sorry again but I always do speak my mind come what may.Redgars to all.

purplebyron 27-07-06 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel G
Hi purplebyron

The answer is a very simple one:
i want the image to be judged purely on its own merits ... to start putting titles, information, f stops and location on top is to detract from the most important thing to me which is the image itself. This seems absolutely appropriate.
If a picture or knowing its location is that important, i would be happy to tell someone where it was.
I dont see how this has anything to do with criticsm. opinions, beauty, bin or keep scenarios.
I will, if absolutely vital include as much info as people want ... but it is against what i believe is the important thing here, the image itself.
I do realise that there is a lot of people who view these pics from other places in the world, that are intrigued by where they are, i to sometimes like to know about exotic places, but i dont know how to resolve such matters.
Dr Singh, above gives a great example of your case and i feel bad about the lack of info to people as far away as himself, but this is a photography site, not a sight- seeing bus.
i have already tried to give an idea that would fit Dr singh's wishes more appropriately by the setting up of some kind of diary forum, this could include photographs and a long description of all the things and more that he would find interesting.
To conclude:
1) i find title and information detracts from the important issue to me of the image being judged on its own merit.
2) i am not an entymologist, i often don't know what i am taking a picture of half the time, i am in the dark as much as the viewer.
3) i am still dispondant about the amount of views to comment ratios that seem apparant in this room .. a comment about how someone spent a lovely childhood holiday at a location of where i took a picture of a dragonfly would be of no merit.
4) the technical info,or the lack of, however is a justified and important criticsm that i do believe is me being complacent and lazy and it might be of invaluable use to a fellow photographer, so i apologize on this.
5) to be really honest ... the location issue is a sensitive one ... i have been to many places where i have seen a large amount of people enjoying the sunshine ... personally when i find a secluded place with no-one around just me and my camera and nature i get an enormous amount of pleasure ... i wish to keep it like that ... i know its selfish ... but i have seen so many horrible things in areas of beauty spoilt by people, their dogs etc
6) finally .. photography is always about a decisive moment, one of luck, chance etc etc its hard to perfectly describe information like that.
7) at the moment i am trying hard to look in some cases at patterns within nature ... to provide information would diminish the abstract nature of the form within the image

p.s
like i have said before i would be glad to divulge any information if asked ... it is obvious to me that the room is split into two areas ...one being people interested in the image and process, the other- the room is frequented by people who wish to holiday with their eyes.

greypoint 27-07-06 12:54

We are somewhat back to what makes a good photo - technical merit, that certain 'wow' factor when something is original/stunning or just a moment captured which might be funny,sad or just interesting. So the pictures in the gallery are there for all sorts of reasons. If you post something you'd like a critique on or some help with perhaps we could have a code - add 'crit' or 'help' to the title and ask away in the description box. I agree that I like to see as much info as possible - I like to see what different camera/lens combinations can do etc. just for reference. I'm not bothered if people want to pull holes in my pictures as i'm just a happy snapper, but i think it's wise to read what you're about to post and make sure things are written in a tactful way. After all this is meant to be a hobby for most of us! Comments? It's really just a way of telling the owner of the photo that you've looked at it and like it.

Snowyowl 27-07-06 13:22

Without re-posting all of Manjeet's comments, I will say that I think he has made some excellent points. More information can only help. I don't buy any of purplebyron's rationale for not giving info. Having the Exif info etc visible doesn't detract from any image, rather it gives people more opportunity to suggest how to improve a shot in real terms. As to where and when shots are taken, I think that can only add to the viewer's enjoyment of the picture.
My poor shots are often stripped of Exif info when if I run them through neatimage. That happens automatically and, barring buying the pro version, is something I don't think I can control.
Frankly I see very little wrong with the way things are. If you want your shot rated, enter the comps. If you want critique, post it in the critique forum. If you simply want people to enjoy a shot you feel worthy of display, for whatever reason, post in your gallery.
My only real criticism isn't of the site but of those of us who don't participate, don't vote in comps. etc.

Stephen 27-07-06 14:06

I have been pretty much keeping up with this thread. Its something along the lines of my own feelings, and I can remember not that long ago expressing similar thoughts along with Tannin.

The Gallery for me is simply a place where people are getting free webspace to store and share their images. It does not seem to be the place where much meaningful comment goes on and consequently I don't post images there.

It would seem to me logical that if you want to get meaningful comment/critique then the Gallery is not the place to get it and I would reserve those pics for the main forum and esp the Critique board.

Personally I would like to see a few new boards started for say Landscape, B/W, wildlife/Fauna, Flora, even street photography. The fact is though that the vast majority of peeps who contribute to the forum are birders, plane spotters, or flora/fauna shooters. Then there are the gear freaks ;) (no offence meant) just look at their galleries lol

Its just a POV but when I do post a photo I want to know what people think of it and why, what feelings it stirs and whether they think it works or not, however I'm not bothered if someone thinks I should bin it.

If you want critique related to accumulating points or a score, then you should join Photosig, though there is an option of these vBulletin forums to rate a thread

robski 27-07-06 22:06

How many of us think they have taken a perfect shot ? I know for sure I am not in that group. I see fault to various degrees in all my shots. I try and learn from my mistakes and hope not to repeat them.

As Stephen rightly says the gallery is free webspace to share images. In my darkroom days I used to pin up prints on the wall at work. firstly to add interest to the wall and give pleasure to those who appreciated them. I view the gallery in the same way and I like to post some of my better efforts at the end of the day. Some of which maybe a talking point or not. In a Public gallery one often just studies an image without comment. I tend to take note of the number of views as opposed to comments to gauge how effective the image has been to the viewer.

Recently at work I has some bird shots on the wall and they attracted the attention of an engineer/sales rep. It turned out his was a keen birder and knew Nigel Blake. So we ended up taking about Nigel for 15 minutes.

My POV for the "Keep or Bin" concept is for those images you don't have the heart to bin. Normally I only spend upto 5 minutes Post processing an image and if I have had spend longer than that and the image is not to my liking I normally just bin it. On the otherhand I've had one or two images where I have battled with over many weeks and I still can't make my mind wether to bin or not. Then one thinks is it a duff image or am I giving it the wrong treatment. Maybe somebody else knows how to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

fishingruddy 29-07-06 11:06

Hi there PurpleByron. Good question, my answer may well cover other peoples thoughts also. I think this is a fabulous site, good forums, good ideas great photos. That I think is what stops me offering any thoughts on peoples pictures...... They really are great, in my opinion any way. I for one dont feel as though I'm a good enough photographer to offer any comment, good or bad. Saying that maybe now I'll put some of my pics on and hope for the best. I will make a point of leaving some feedback, even if it is just "great shot, wish I could do as well". Thanks for the question, Deano.

bruce action 08-08-06 12:55

Purplebyron.Im with you,I learnt my photography through hanging out with gret photographers,who had been arround a long time. our club used Cirtiquing. some of this was done full in your face and honest,which had to include positive comemts along with this. we help a monthly metting in which we presented 8/10 prints.and each member present gace each photo their score,so there was no colusion. it was in this inviorment that I won a years compertition. and its true at this point I have not posted any prints here,but it will happen, my major camera has just died and I,m not in a postion to replace itat these time.

greenbunion 04-09-06 14:16

I have read this thread with interest and have to admit to failing in the eyes of some contributers:
1. I will look at many of the photos but rarely leave comments. I am not "that" experienced and feel uneasy judging others (call me a big softy)
2. I don't publish my own exif data (frankly, I don't know how to!)
3. I have entered the monthly comp. but have not voted myself. Wasn't sure if this was the done thing.

I accept that just by publishing a photo on the main gallery, I shouldn't expect comments, negative or otherwise. Consequently I recently posted a photo in the "Critique" forum along with a very brief explanation of why.
So far 45 views and no response - not a dicky bird! Is it because the shot is so exceptional/appalling no one thinks it worthy of comment? If posts in the main gallery are not commented on (and I freely admit to browsing without comment)and posts in the critique forum are not commented on, the photos on this forum will be nothing but eye-candy. I love the fact that I have somewhere to post photos that can cause discussion. It just needs people like me to open up a bit and be more forthcoming.

purplebyron 19-10-06 20:38

it seems to me that the conclusion here as to why people don't leave feedback is primarily down to their own confidence or lack of experience ..... this is crazy, every one has an opinion to whether they like something or not, some people love van gogh's, others hate his work...whether a so called art expert or some average person in the street, we all have an opinion. i went to art college and i can honestly state that a lot of so called art experts dont know anything, they just follow each other and what historians tell them. i don't believe that you even have to have a good knowledge of photographic techniques to have a great picture or an opinion ...i think photography can sometimes dissapear up its own behind due to the technical side of it all ... we worry so much about pin sharp, correctly exposed pics that we fail to see the merit in the image even in its naive state.
a, "nice pic" comment is fine or a "dont like this much" is better than no comment at all. i doubt there is a single person who comes in this room who doesnt doubt their ability to give an opinion ..... every picture should be pushing the limits or areas where you have not been before, so i guess we are always beginners in this thing aren't we?

ollieholmes 19-10-06 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 10463)
Personally I would like to see a few new boards started for say Landscape, B/W, wildlife/Fauna, Flora, even street photography. The fact is though that the vast majority of peeps who contribute to the forum are birders, plane spotters, or flora/fauna shooters. Then there are the gear freaks ;) (no offence meant) just look at their galleries lol

I think this idea could work. What are other peoples thoughts on this? Mods can we do something about this if there is enough positive interest?
It is threads like this that can get things changed or added to the forum.

ollieholmes 19-10-06 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenbunion (Post 11458)
3. I have entered the monthly comp. but have not voted myself. Wasn't sure if this was the done thing.

I dont have a problem with you entering and voting, i have done so before. I dont see anything in the competition rules to say you cannot do this.

Don Hoey 19-10-06 22:36

I'm still trying to get my head around this thread, (some posts while I was off and I missed ) so bear with me.

I very rarely comment in the critique unless there is an image posted with a question to which I can make a positive contribution to. If I lack any experience in the subject theme then any comment by me is fairly pointless. I can comment on an image that appeals in the gallery, and I do not feel there is any benefit to the image poster there in just saying it does not appeal. Equally so in the Critique Forum. After all, I assume the purpose of posting in the critique is to seek advice from the ' knowledgeable' in that particular discipline.

Re post #19. In order to do that, surely providing as much information relative to the image is essential. If this is not so, then perhaps I am missing something.

On the subject of various boards, I have a simple question. If these are to be critique, then why? Surely one place to post for critique is quite sufficient. If this is to be somewhere that people can generally discuss and post images in various themes within a single heading, then suitable threads could be started in the General Photographic Technique Forum.

All it needs is someone to stick their head above the parapet and get them going. Not a Mod's job as I see it.

Don

Don Hoey 19-10-06 22:50

Quote:

Then there are the gear freaks ;) (no offence meant) just look at their galleries lol

Mmmm ........ Encouraging comment !!!!!!!

Don

Don Hoey 19-10-06 22:57

Quote:

If you want critique related to accumulating points or a score, then you should join Photosig

?????????? POINTS I do not understand.

Don

Stephen 19-10-06 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 12524)
After all, I assume the purpose of posting in the critique is to seek advice from the ' knowledgeable' in that particular discipline.

This is not and IMHO should not be the case Don. Posting in a critique forum tome is more about asking for peoples opinions on whether they not only like an image or whether they feel it works, or does not work. If possible it is good to hear what it does for the viewer, what feelings it instills in a person, what they feel about an image etc. It is about aesthetics as well as technicalities. Technical expertise can sometimes be secondary to aesthetics.

There are plenty of people on this forum who are capable of this and indeed on many occasions I have appreciated the comments on my my own efforts. Again it is my opinion as has already been stated earlier in this thread that anyone can give there own opinion about how they feel about an image, what they see in it and whether they think it works, is good or bad and why. Surely this is what art and in this case photo fineart is about.

Quote:

Re post #19. In order to do that, surely providing as much information relative to the image is essential. If this is not so, then perhaps I am missing something.
I'm pretty much in agreement with post 19, and as for giving technical information about a photo, in my own case it is often totally irrelavant. When I take a Raw file and process it to my taste, then manipulate it to create an image that satisfies me. What the camera sees can often be simply the raw material. How can aperture and shutter speed be of any relevance. I acknowledge however that in many cases this is not the case and if it helps I'll give it. The important thing is whether the picture works and this can be seen in the image ie. whether the shutter speed was correct or the aperture sufficient.

Stephen 19-10-06 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 12526)
?????????? POINTS I do not understand.

Don

Don, you should perhaps take a look at www.photosig.com :)

Jimbo 20-10-06 03:31

Why I submit photo's. It's because I enjoy seeing where other people live and what they see out their windows and in and around their towns. If someone wishes to comment or to critique I say thank you. It's through the transmisson of observations that we learn. I will never be a "photographer" but with help I'll be able to present a more enjoyable photo.

Jim

sassan 20-10-06 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 12529)
Don, you should perhaps take a look at www.photosig.com :)

My dear friends, should you take a look at photosig, please make sure you don't make it any thing beyond that look... Don't ask me why, just listen to me; a refugee from that site that in no time turns you into GLADIATORS, throwing thumbs ups and downs and reds and what not. A very nasty site though its extremely high turn over and heavy traffic will bring some good characters once in a while but if you do not believe in humiliation in name of learning don't make your stay there for long.

Every flower has its own feature. One comes with lots of sharp irritating pricks the other with a most beautiful fragrant or color. Let WPF have its own taste.

Stephen 20-10-06 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassan (Post 12532)
My dear friends, should you take a look at photosig, please make sure you don't make it any thing beyond that look... Don't ask me why, just listen to me; a refugee from that site that in no time turns you into GLADIATORS, throwing thumbs ups and downs and reds and what not. A very nasty site though its extremely high turn over and heavy traffic will bring some good characters once in a while but if you do not believe in humiliation in name of learning don't make your stay there for long.

Every flower has its own feature. One comes with lots of sharp irritating pricks the other with a most beautiful fragrant or color. Let WPF have its own taste.

If you can't stand the heat..............................

Frankly Sassan I am suprised that you choose to influence what members do or take part in. I'm sure people here will make their own mind up quickly enough. I would certainly never suggest that this site take on a format similar to Photosig, heaven forbid. However if you want to view a fantastic range of photography and some stunning pictures, its worth some time browsing their pages. Of course if you don't want honest comment and critique then posting your work in any critique forum is not for you.

Not too sure about the analogy of flowers and taste Sassan ;) Some mixing of metaphors there methinks :D

Don Hoey 20-10-06 10:19

Stephen,

Just had a quick look at Photosig, and I will go back later. Initial comment is that there are lots of very good images posted there.

I guess I have not really grasped the concept of Critique as in your post #33 hence my post from last night. Differentiation between between seeking advice on HOW DO I, and, THIS IS MY VIEW, how do you feel about my interpretation. If I am right in that assumption, then yes, I would agree no need to post info of the technicalities of the shot.

Question to keep you going until I return. How do you rate the critique and how much notice do you take if comments are generally negative or very few, ie do you change your style to suit the critiquers or be happy with your own work.

Don

Stephen 20-10-06 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 12538)
Stephen,

Just had a quick look at Photosig, and I will go back later. Initial comment is that there are lots of very good images posted there.

I guess I have not really grasped the concept of Critique as in your post #33 hence my post from last night. Differentiation between between seeking advice on HOW DO I, and, THIS IS MY VIEW, how do you feel about my interpretation. If I am right in that assumption, then yes, I would agree no need to post info of the technicalities of the shot.

Question to keep you going until I return. How do you rate the critique and how much notice do you take if comments are generally negative or very few, ie do you change your style to suit the critiquers or be happy with your own work.

Don

Hi Don, TBH I would take from it what you will, if a critique is good there is often something worth considering. Surely if you post a photo for critique/comment you must expect peoples honest opinions and try to learn from anything that is valid. Its difficult to be prescriptive about such things, however here is a useful guide http://www.photosig.com/go/main/help?name=tutorial/t10 and in particular part 3 ;)

Don Hoey 20-10-06 17:27

Photosig observations re critique. As I am not a member I may well be missing the view presented to members.

Points system for critique I personally find a bit odd and have still not really got my head round it. Conforming or non conforming critiques. Example "xxxxx thanks for your 3 TU's on my xxxxx xxxx. Unfortunately your critique is non-conforming, so no rating ". Whats that all about. Given what was written in the critique I just do not understand the points logic at all. :confused:

I did land one image where things got well out of hand ( seems the points system may have got in the way here ). Unbelievable :eek: , and really not really helpful I would have thought, to any party involved.

Browsing the ' All Photos ' is not much different from WPF gallery. I guess the number and range of photo's is huge as they can be displayed in almost any way imaginable. I spent a lot of time in the Random Photo's section as I thought that would give a reasonable feel for pics on the site. Without a doubt there are some absolutely stunning photo's that are an inspiration, and others that I only viewed as I was researching the site.

Returning to the thread here though, and the points raised.

On Photosig I found lots of " very good shot - great shot and perception - very interesting shot - very nice shot - nice capture - beautiful " as well a lot of very well thought out and appreciated critiques.

Quite a lot of images with a very high view count up to 400 + with only a couple of critiques. Images posted long ago with as little as 10 views that I would have viewed if I was a member.

So in these respects Photosig is not much different from WPF gallery, given that for some time now posters of pics have had the option of asking for a critique.

If I can return to " purplebyron's " post #27 for a moment, I would like to ask a question.
Purplebyron in view of your impassioned post, are YOU posting your thoughts against images in the gallery where a critique is requested, or only in the ' Critique Forum '. If only in the Critique then I am not sure I totally understand the reasoning behind your post #27.
Stephens POV I do totally understand, as he has posted images and his thoughts behind them. I may not have posted my views before, but now with a bit more understanding of his logic will. ( Stephens post #33 ).

Stephen, Thanks for posting the link. I was unable to find this without it. Wise words indeed at the bottom of 3.

Seems to me its about encouraging members to post images in the ' Critique Forum ' for a fuller assessment of an image than is likely in the Gallery. The link in Stephens post #39 then makes useful guidance all round.

Don