World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nikon D3X Announced (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3889)

andy153 01-12-08 13:23

Nikon D3X Announced

Hi folks - for those of us who love yellow/black things the D3X has just been announced -24.5mp!!!

Who's going to be first to jump???

jamieZ740 01-12-08 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy153 (Post 32439)

You no Doubt!!!

andy153 01-12-08 16:43

Actually Jamie I don't think so - apart from the increase in mp's its a slightly revamped D3 which still does not have inbuilt sensor cleaning, ISO 100-1600 with extensions to 50-6400 same as D3, slower fps than D3, same old flash sync speed. Also I do not need to print on the side of buildings so I think Nikon have rushed this one and will give it a miss.

robski 01-12-08 17:09

at £5.5K too rich for my blood :rolleyes:

miketoll 01-12-08 17:17

I am surprised at no sensor cleaning. The Sony with that sensor is not much more detailed than the D3 and then loses detail due to noise reduction at higher ISO so wonder how the Nikon will fair.

Joe 01-12-08 17:24

One has to wonder if Nikon will also go down the track of launching a D3h with a slightly lower mpixel count (e.g 10mp ?) but something like 15 fps, with even better low noise at even higher ISO speeds?....ie following the pattern of D1, D1h and then D2, D2h....
RE the price, big studios and agencies are going to order these regardless, though Andy makes a good point about net gain in spending so much more money when the D3 is a lot less outlay, and which to be honest is an incredible camera and far from lacking.

In a few years time, where will it stop? "Nikon launches the D6 with 128 mpixel and 40 frames per second. The new HD movie camera contender"

lol

P.S...RE sony's line -up. what has to be a bargain at the mo is Sony's entry level A200 for the price of mid level compact camera.

Derekb 01-12-08 17:57

Truth is that this camera was never meant to compete with the D3, it's a different beast entirely. My guess is the landscape peeps will love it, along with the studio types. I also think it is Nikon's idea to close the gap between the DSLR and medium format cameras and I think many will be trying this.

If I had 5.5K burning a hole maybe, but in 6 months if things don't change my existing gear may have to go...

Canis Vulpes 01-12-08 20:19

The £5,000+ price tag means only serious studio photographers would consider one. It is however a snip compared with the medium format systems on the market with similar pixel counts.

A 10Mpx DX high speed version would be perfect for me with the advances in dynamic range and active d-light may improve my images - would that be worth £xxxx's, not sure. If my present D2x were to fail it would be a toss-up between another or a D3h, if available. I cannot see very high frame rates due to the SLR system moving the shutter, there will be a mechanical limit.

Stevie 03-12-08 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy153 (Post 32439)
Hi folks - for those of us who love yellow/black things the D3X has just been announced -24.5mp!!!

Lucky me! I've got Don's Christmas list and its not on it :D :D and he did know about this before he gave me his list. :rolleyes:

andy153 03-12-08 17:43

I'm going to be unloading 2 or 3 bodies in the near future - D200, D2h with less then 500 actuations, my indecision is whether to get rid of D300 or D2x as well - Like Steve, I love the D2x and find myself reaching for it more than the D300. But D3X? they can keep it!