World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Thunderbird (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2866)

Saphire 15-11-07 12:16

Thunderbird

Has anyone had any problems in updating to the latest thunderbird. I have just downloaded the new security version and it has wiped eveything out of my inbox folder, drafts everything. Now I can't even get it to dowloaded from the server, none of my settings have changed, it comes up with the name or password is wrong.

Snowyowl 15-11-07 14:12

I just finished downloading and installing ver. 2.0.0.9 and everything seems fine.

Saphire 15-11-07 14:43

Dan, I am on there website forum now I just can't get it to run, it just won't connect, Outlook express is working fine. I am so annoyed it deleted all the files that I had put in my drafts folder for keeping and everything in my inbox. ******* Computers.

Tony_photoplus 15-11-07 18:21

I have to admit I have had nothing go wrong with my update. It was unusually slow at first loading but seems fine now. I am sorry you have lost so much. Have you looked in your profile area the info should be there it just hasn't loaded..

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

Saphire 15-11-07 21:52

Thanks Tony, it turns out from a reply on the thunderbird forum that it could be the virus checker not recognising the up-date. I switched it off and and re-installed, now it works fine eccept no files.
I have checked the profiles and there is nothing there so it looks like they have gone, they are not in my recycle bin.

Snowyowl 16-11-07 12:38

I often have a problem with programs that have been changed (updated). The problem is due to Sygate and I often have to go into the controls, applications.
I don't have to do anything there but when have I close out sygate and re-open the problem program Sygate will ask me if I want the program to access the net. I say yes and everything is then OK.

Softix 30-01-08 15:28

ried doing a manual update without the GUI using:

Code:

ubuntuzilla.py -a checkforupdatetext -p thunderbird

I then received a response that said I hadn't installed Thunderbird using the Ubuntuzilla script. *a light turned on*

I recently upgraded Ubuntu from Feisty to Gutsy - I guess the upgrade moved in the official version of Thunderbird while my Ubuntuzilla script and cron entries remained.

Since then, I've run this to re-install Thunderbird using the script:
Code:

ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbird

The install went OK (including a backup of my mail files) except for the PGP key verification. It just couldn't connect...
Code:

Importing Mozilla Software Releases public key

Note that if you have never used gpg before on this system, and this is your first time running this script, there may be a delay of about a minute during the generation of a gpg keypair. This is normal and expected behavior.

gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from subkeys.pgp.net . Trying again...
gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server pgpkeys.mit.edu
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from pgpkeys.mit.edu . Trying again...
gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from pgp.mit.edu . Trying again...
gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from subkeys.pgp.net . Trying again...
gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server pgpkeys.mit.edu
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from pgpkeys.mit.edu . Trying again...
gpg: requesting key 0E3606D9 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
Unable to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from pgp.mit.edu . Trying again...
Failed to retrieve Mozilla Software Releases Public key from any of the listed keyservers. Please check your network connection, and try again later.

After using the -g option (ignore pgp key verification) It installed OK.
Of course I now have the latest build, so the output from the update:
Code:

ubuntuzilla.py -a checkforupdategui -p thunderbird

gives a response like:
Code:

Retrieving the version of the latest release of Thunderbird from the Mozilla website...
Latest release version: 2.0.0.9
Currently installed version: 2.0.0.9