World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dust removal systems... (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2256)

Canis Vulpes 15-04-07 10:27

Dust removal systems...

I found this page being discussed in another forum and thought it may be of interest here -> http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

To save a bit of reading, conclusion copied below.

Dust removal conclusion

Here is our ranking according to effectiveness:
  1. Olympus: good
  2. Canon: poor (we are disappointed)
  3. Pentax and Sony: useless (we are very disappointed)
If you are looking for a camera, have the dust removal as an expectation only at the end of your list. If sensor cleaning / dust removal is a must, the choices are limited to Olympus and Panasonic cameras.
We guess that theoretically it is possible to get better results with Canon cameras when the CMOS sensor is not charged, but Canon must find a way to discharge the sensor first (if this is really the problem). If the system is so unreliable, the EOS-ICS is not much more than a good marketing name.
In case of Sony, Pentax and Samsung cameras, the dust removal function should be considered as almost non-existent.

The final conclusion: keep your air blower handy, it is still your best tool against dust.

Canis Vulpes 15-04-07 10:28

Does anyone have any experience of these systems?

yelvertoft 15-04-07 10:57

Haven't had any noticeable dust problems on my K10D. This could be either because I haven't had any dust get in, therefore no problem, or it could be the dust removal system is doing its job and nothing has stuck to the sensor.

My *ist DS had no dust removal technology and I used to have to give it a blast with the blower every few months. My habits haven't changed significantly, if anything, I change lenses more often with the K10D than I used to with the DS, so I'd have expected more dust issues.

I had already seen the test report you reference and thought it was a particularly harsh test, far more severe than anything a typical photographer is likely to find themselves facing in day to day usage.

It's impossible for me to say if my lack of dust issues on the K10D are because the sensor shake at power up is removing dust, or if it is just coincidence that no dust has got in during the 14 weeks I've had it. All I know is that I'm no longer cloning out spots on my pictures and getting the rocket blower out every so often.

Duncan

RBullCZ 15-04-07 20:41

Interesting. And how often do you change lenses on your camera?
I am only rarely experiencing some dust on sensor of my Nikon, but that is probably because I am really trying hard to protect the lens mount during lens swap and also because so far I have not been to real harsh dusty environment.

Leif 15-04-07 21:58

I am a little suspicious of the article, as the tests were rather artificial.

I had a lot of problems with dust in my D200 early on. When I found the first signs of dust, I gave it a thorough cleaning, including the mirror chamber. I am now more careful about changing lenses and always turn the camera off, do the change quickly, and above all avoid changing lenses in high pollen areas. I don't seem to have too many problems these days though bluebell woods are hell!

greypoint 15-04-07 22:50

Since switching to Olympus I've forgotten about dust problems! Still give the cameras the odd blast with a rocket blower to clear stuff from the mirror or foucussing screen but the dust removal system really seems to work. Don't do a lot of lens changing but it's nice not to worry when Í do.

sassan 16-04-07 06:33

I need to know more about how the test was conducted before concluding this is another politically incorrect experiment the way we are all personally biased toward our own tools...

You just don't want to hear about sensor cleaning story I have (My own sensor) S%#* ¿Ø%#£ĉΐ ΨΘΩςξπφ

Tannin 16-04-07 12:10

I must say that I'm impressed by the effectiveness of the sensor cleaning system in my new Canon 400D.

I use two cameras: one pretty much always has the 500/4 mounted but still gets dust problems sometimes because I take the 1.4 converter off and on a few times on an average day.

The second camera uses a variety of lenses, anything from 10-22 to 100-400, and it can have a dozen or more lens changes every day.

There is no way I can keep dust out of my systems: I only shoot outdoors, usually miles from the nearest building, and mostly in the very dry and dusty Australian bush. Bottom line: my cameras get dust in them, regularly. It's a pain.

Up until recently, I've had a pair of 20Ds, but I recently started using a 400D as my second unit. To begin with, I had the dust shaker switched off. It got dust spots inside a couple of days' use, same as the 20Ds. Switched the shaker on, and the problem went away immediately.

I still get dust on the 400D sensor, but rarely, and (so far) everytime it is only for a couple of shots or so - the shaker gets rid of it before I have ruined a whole day's shooting.

I don't doubt that the Olympus one is even better. But I have no doubt at all: the 400D Canon system is well worth having, and I don't think I'd ever again buy a camera that didn't have something similar.

sassan 17-04-07 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannin (Post 19529)
I don't think I'd ever again buy a camera that didn't have something similar.

Tannin I am motivated to change my XT for a XTi in near future. Of course if I don't go Nik or Pentax.

Craftysnapper 17-04-07 15:57

Just over two years now and numurous lens changes and still have not had dust spots or had to clean the sensor yet and thats good enough for me :)

I did do a sensor test for dust some time ago just after having the Olympus to satisfy my curiosity and see if it was just hype with the Olympus, the results can be seen here

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/56208127