World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Macro Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Macro Fly - first post (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6003)

bend the light 19-08-10 08:02

Macro Fly - first post

1 Attachment(s)
My first post here...

I am currently messing with bug macros. Took this yesterday, 18-55mm kit lens reversed on my 400d body. How does it look?

yelvertoft 20-08-10 16:05

Point of focus a touch too far forwards, but I understand how difficult this kind of macro work is. Other than that, it's a fine study of a fly.

bend the light 20-08-10 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 45271)
Point of focus a touch too far forwards, but I understand how difficult this kind of macro work is. Other than that, it's a fine study of a fly.

Yeah, focus is hard - rocking back and forth and trying to get the shutter at JUST the right point. If the critters stay still long enough, I will have a go at focus stacking them...

Thank you

shibby 20-10-10 10:48

This question is burning me and I know it's like asking what the best time of day is, but:

What is the best aperture/shutter/iso for macro? Words like "low" and "high" will suffice, I just need to know where to start.

Thanks!

surfg1mp 20-10-10 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby (Post 45897)
This question is burning me and I know it's like asking what the best time of day is, but:

What is the best aperture/shutter/iso for macro? Words like "low" and "high" will suffice, I just need to know where to start.

Thanks!

try setting the camera to A mode (aperture priority) this will allow you to set the required f/number (aperture) and the camera will meter the scene and set the shutter speed for you. the higher the f/number the more will be in focus. However you will have to experiment as the closer you get to a subject the less DoF you will get.

shibby 20-10-10 12:06

:-)

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

My first shots were on Tv with Auto ISO/Av and they looked fine but lacking in exposure.

Yesterday I shot the ISO up to 1600 and got some noise, so I think today I'll go at it on Av Auto ISO/Tv and see what happens.

bend the light 20-10-10 12:32

I have done many more macros since this one, and I have got much better.

I use a 135mm manual focus lens, mounted on macro tubes (typically 50mm of tubes) with the aperture set at f11. I use ISO 100 when I can, but not much more than ISO 400. I use aperture priority...

I also use an old flash gun, triggered by wireless trigger (cheap from t'interweb) and diffuse the flash with a piece cut from a plastic milk bottle.

Hope that helps.

shibby 20-10-10 12:43

Gear constraints...

Well, I shoot a Canon SX20 IS which is more of a P&S camera, so unfortunately I cannot change lenses. The OEM lens however is a 5.0-100.00mm with a 0mm focus meaning I can focus nicely for macro. Still need a flash though. That'll probably be my next step... ;-)

surfg1mp 20-10-10 12:59

you will be able to get pretty close with a point and shoot. you could try using a reflector such as a piece of white paper to get more light onto the subject.

shibby 20-10-10 13:12

Will do thanks! My brother in law is a wedding photographer so I'll just nick one of his umbrellas :-D

surfg1mp 20-10-10 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby (Post 45908)
Will do thanks! My brother in law is a wedding photographer so I'll just nick one of his umbrellas :-D

sorry not an umbrella, a reflector! this is a device used to reflect light in different directions....normally come in silver, gold, white or even black.....you could however use a simple piece of white paper.

shibby 20-10-10 13:32

Ah, I see... I'll give it a shot and post my findings here! Thanks!

Tony_photoplus 04-03-11 09:14

A tip I was given when shooting that close is to have your camera set on continuous shooting. The first shot has the action of your finger pushing down onto the button, the second shot maybe good and hoping that the third is better as you should have your finger still on the button. I would take four or five shots and then you can see which is the best later. The odds are one will be spot on. If necessary do some stacking if the DOF is too narrow and the insect is being still long enough