World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Lenses (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How to spend £1500? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=7317)

postcardcv 08-11-12 16:56

How to spend £1500?

Just for fun, what camera gear would you buy if you had £1500 to spend on new toys? I know it is a pointless question really, just interested to see which way people would go. Would it be a new camera, a lens or some lighting equipment? Would it be upgrading what you have or buying something that would open up a different area of photography?

omalanrf 08-11-12 17:46

Well I would have to say, I would head for the new Nikon 5200 on its way out but they havent revealed how much its gonna sting us yet.
Check this baby out..

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/ne...a\GB-NR-061112

Nigel G 08-11-12 21:07

Its not quite enough but right now Cameta in the US have no fewer than 10 SHG (Super High Grade) 90-250 f2.8 ex factory demos at (UK equivilent) £2200. In the UK this lens retails at £4.4K and on a 4/3 camera is the ff equivilent of 180-500 @ f2.8.

I almost pressed the buy button last weekend but I really want the 300 f2.8 prime (600 eq) and thats not going to happen if I fritter away a couple of grand I haven't got so unless your going to send me that 1500 I guess I'll have to wait :{

miketoll 09-11-12 11:43

There is nothing at £1500 that really tempts me at the moment so I would put it towards more expensive stuff that is beyond my means.

walwyn 09-11-12 20:30

Spend it on getting out and about with your current gear.

Gidders 10-11-12 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by walwyn (Post 52882)
Spend it on getting out and about with your current gear.

Good advice. I was recently tempted to upgrade my hi if - one of my other expensive hobbies - but decided the money would be better spent buying more music :rolleyes:

Sydney Portraits 03-07-14 06:13

I think it would be the Canon 50mm 1.2L. Gorgeous.
Or for video a Go Pro and one of those flying machines like the Phantom 2 .

Gidders 03-07-14 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydney Portraits (Post 55605)
I think it would be the Canon 50mm 1.2L. Gorgeous.

Reports seem to sugest that you'd be better off with the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art ... & you'd still have lots left over for something else ;)

graham harcombe 04-07-14 07:35

I'm still in a happy honeymoon with my 'fairly' recently purchased Pentax K-5, then they brought out the K-3!! How often does that happen!! So I think I'd trade-up to the K-3 and add to my lens collection with a Pentax DA* 16-50mm (replacing the rather soft 18-55 kit lens).

sassan 06-07-14 06:19

What about "Angel's EyeView"?

Buy a DJI phantom 2 vision plus!

I bet no camera suggested before can fly.
This baby opens the new horizons to the photographer/cinematographer with low budget.
This thing takes HD movie, 14mp picture from vintage points you never know exists. In combination with your iphone/smart phone, it provides FPV (First Person View)(In conjunction with a free to be downloaded app) that if you ever wondered to spy a little bit on neighbors or whatever else, you could. That is once skill to operate the tool is developed and off course as long as you have no legal problems with authorities as here in USA, FAA is trying to get into way people are rushing to use these wonderful picturing flying toys (Or big boys toy) and I am sure you have tougher rules and regulations for anything that is fun on that side of pond.

Anyhow that was my half a penny opinion and here are two eg (Not exactly the same model I suggested but first one is the cheaper version), in case you haven't seen kind of footage these cameras provide.

LINK -1
LINK -2
LINK -2.5
LINK -3
LINK -4 (Incase you are still NOT convinced that this is the best camera for the price.

LINK to Price and where available.
Though seems cheaper when compare US Dollar value converted to Sterling Pound but for some reason at least prices I saw in London are the same number figures only SP sign is changed with USD, so still the price should be under your proposed budget.