World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A happy accident... (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6281)

gordon g 21-12-10 23:39

A happy accident...

3 Attachment(s)
I have had some good news - one of my images will be the front cover shot for next month's 'Mountain Rescue' magazine. It was rather unexpected; I do provide most of the publicity shots for the mountain rescue team I am a member of, and this was just another snapshot while we were out training in the snow, so I didnt really expect anything to come of it when it was posted on our webpage.
Then, to my surprise, I got an email from the editor of the magazine, asking if it was my shot she had seen, and if so could she use it. This was on the back of having two images requested for the 2011 mountain rescue calendar - distrubuted nationally for publicity and fund-raising. Another spin-off from the calendar request was a request for inages for a first aid manual, again of mountain rescue training exercises.
So, although the images are not what I consider to be my best work, or something I spent a lot of time and effort on, I seem to be getting a name for this type of thing. It is obviously not so much what imagery you produce, but who knows you produce it..., and who knows where it will take me next year!

miketoll 22-12-10 10:07

Congratulations and well done. Excellent shots even if you do not think they are your best work and as you say who knows where it will take you.

Arthur53 22-12-10 10:52

Congratulations, its not allways the best shot some times its more about how well you know your subject and haveing a feel for it.
Think you do both.

gordon g 22-12-10 10:58

Thanks Mike. And thanks Arthur too - kind words! As far as thought processes behind these images go, it was really about standing in the right place for the light and the background, then point and shoot when the moment was right - nothing like my landscape images, which have much more thought involved even from before I leave the house.
I'm quite looking forward to finding out how far this road will take me.

Tugboat 23-12-10 23:13

well done Gordon,good luck with the future

graham harcombe 24-12-10 05:18

Well done Gordon. I can see from the images how appropriate they are for the publications, depicting as they do, the task, the atmosphere and the action that mountain rescue is al about.

It's nice to be recognised and good luck to you.

gordon g 24-12-10 21:17

Thanks to you both. I'll keep you posted with how things go...

mr fred 27-12-10 02:46

Nice one. ......

Glenvic 27-12-10 10:04

Congratulations. I think that all three images have a real feel about the work these courageous men do.

John Hallas 27-12-10 10:08

All 3 are excellent images which tell a story. Well done.