World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   30D: one of the new Canon DSLRs is out (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=680)

robski 21-02-06 23:21

Even nicer to be a contented Canon owner ;)

Andy 21-02-06 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by robski
Even nicer to be a contented Canon owner ;)

They seem to be in short supply today over at dpr ... they're putting on a more untied front now, it was like a wake earlier.

yelvertoft 22-02-06 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
They seem to be in short supply today over at dpr ... they're putting on a more untied front now, it was like a wake earlier.

I thought that was a typo at first, but, having looked at dpr, I'm not so sure now.

Tannin 22-02-06 08:23

Yeah, DPR has gone completely ape-unmentionablesubstance. Any moment now I expect to see a sea of uber-geeks storming the Canon headquarters throwing stones and burning their red-striped lenses because it isn't full-frame/isn't 12.8MP/doesn't have a mobile phone in it. That picture posted above? They would love one of those.

Stupid gits.

Sometimes I feel that owning a Canon is a bit like being a Collingwood supporter (in the UK, read Man United) or actually liking a Microsoft software package - it's OK in itself, it's just that you feel embarrased to admit you belong to the same one as all the lunatic football hooligans over there in the other stand.

Hey, it's a camera, OK? You can take pictures with it.

sigh

And you know the really funny thing? The actual 20D replacement is, all things considered, a good deal better than I expected. Canon have avoided doing any of the things I was dreading: 1.3 form to nix my stunningly good EF-S 10-22 wide angle lens and nice little EF-S 60mm macro; SD instead of proper Compact Flash; lots more MP than the detail/noise equation can justify, and so on. No big mistakes: that's the first half of doing anything well. Also, Canon delivered a better raw buffer (though not as much better as I both hoped and expected) and better firmware with ISO in the VF and RBG histogram. And to my surprise and delight, spot metering, which I though they would never do.

All in all, it's a substantially more useful camera than I'd expected - and substantially more usable than half of the half-baked ideas thrown around by the DPR crowd would have resulted in too - and the knucklehead techofreaks are spitting chips about it. Go figure.

It's a strange, strange world.

Craftysnapper 22-02-06 10:12

Well lets face it when photography went digital there was a large infux of the "must have the latest update/gear computer geeks brigade" and mentality into the hobby and marketing just love them ;)

I've never understood Canon with that partial 9% metering and find it less than useless on my 300D and 3.5% is not that great..hell even my Oly E500 has 2% spot metering.

Saphire 28-03-06 16:31

Anyone bought the 30D yet I was wondering what it was like, is it worth the upgrade.

brimo 07-04-06 18:24

From hours of trawling reviews on Fred Miranda the conclusion seems to be it is a 20D in terms of image quality but with the extra features, although the results i have seen from people using the Picture styles leaves something to be desired:
It seems to be OK when keeping it on neutal or shooting in raw.
I have looked at a lot of sample photos on PBase and most of what i have seen SO FAR i would have deleted after reviewing on the LCD!
For the time being i will be more than happy to stick with my 20D although if i had no Camera or an ealier model i would buy one from Wharehouse or Jessops, both of whom will refund if you are not satisfied with it.