World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Lenses (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   600mm (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=712)

Subzero 25-02-06 18:53

600mm

600/4 = BIG
= Big money = big weight = big reach = big other kit to support it.

300/2.8 = SMALL
= + converters = 400/4 = 510/4.8 = 600/5.6 = light weight = same reach = much greater versatility = much less money =less kit to support it.

Ignoring the fact that with 600/4 you can still add converters, anybody got any thoughts on the above???

regards Subzero.

Don Hoey 25-02-06 20:17

Thats all a bit exotic for me Subzero, longest I've got is the Nikon 80-200 f2.8, but it does make sense in versatility terms as long as you don't want more than 600mm.

If I was into long lens photography I would pobably be in the 300 f4 IFED plus converter bracket following the same logic but for considerably less cost.

Don

Christine 25-02-06 20:22

Try digiscoping!!!.Small compact cam,excellent zoom range,just need a steady tripod and good light.

Don Hoey 25-02-06 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Thats all a bit exotic for me Subzero.

Don

That was an off the cuff statement. Just been to Warhouse Express and looked at prices :eek: and that did not include a serious Gitzo.

Don

Subzero 25-02-06 21:09

Thanks Don and Christine ( separate PM), very good advise, and much appreciated.
Don, it's only money, you can't take it with you although many have tried.
regards Subzero.

Adey Baker 25-02-06 21:36

Converters are fine but I reckon if you need (or want!) a 600 then there's only one option. Having said that, occasionally the closer focus of a 300 + con might come in useful.

I'm not in a position to afford either option so it's ever so easy spending someone else's money!

Simon Duncan 08-03-06 01:39

I have both. Love them both but use them for differnt stuff and in different environments. While I hate the weight and can't afford a sherppa (yet) I probably use the the 600 the most. When photographing rapotors the 300 is my go to lens.

jammie*dodger 08-03-06 12:53

If money is not a concern, have you considered the Sigma 300-800mm zoom?

The few who have owned it have been nothing but complimentary about the lens and the results look fantastic. Also works with the sigma 2x teleconvertor.:eek:

Rob.

GavinM 27-03-06 11:56

I've got the 600 AF-SII and it's a beast. The first time I took it on a birding walk I spent the whole time thinking 'this is going to be on Ebay tonight.' but the pictures changed my mind. I probably would not have bought it had I properly realised its actual dimensions, but it's hard to get across the difference in sharpness between this and, say, my Bigma.

Leif 27-03-06 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GavinM
I've got the 600 AF-SII and it's a beast. The first time I took it on a birding walk I spent the whole time thinking 'this is going to be on Ebay tonight.' but the pictures changed my mind. I probably would not have bought it had I properly realised its actual dimensions, but it's hard to get across the difference in sharpness between this and, say, my Bigma.

There are rumours, spread by Fritz Polking among others, that Canon will bring out a 200-600mm DO, presumably F4. If true, then I would not be surprised to see an exodus to Canon, assuming the optical quality is there. But I'm sure it'll cost an arm, a leg and several internal organs.