World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Insurance. (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3439)

miketoll 16-06-08 14:48

Insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations about camera insurance, which UK companies they like or would advise against. Thanks.

lifeboat1721 02-07-08 17:03

All I can say is My Nion D80 and All my lens's all come under our Household posenion policy as there is a £2000 limit per item and that includes Portable Item's as long as they are NOT used for WORK.

Regards
Ian

Canis Vulpes 02-07-08 17:13

I can understand people using their household insurance for their camera gear and I did for a short period of time naming the items and paying extra premium. My insurance documents came through with everything spelt incorrectly which gave me no confidence whatsoever. I since found Photoguard about three or four years ago and have all my gear insured by them.

If my gear was generally used at home I would not bother but I travel with my gear and is risk of accidental damage, theft and minor damage in the field through accidental drops etc.

Using your household insurance is fine but what would happen in the event of a claim?

Is it better to be safe than sorry?

gordon g 02-07-08 23:17

Insured new for old on household insurance. Covered for all risks in UK as standard. I pay an extra premium for the bits over £2000. When I have had a claim - many years ago now, for a secondhand canon AE1 which got water damaged - they happily paid for a new body, rather than the £75 which would have bought me a replacement at the time.

lifeboat1721 03-07-08 00:25

We used to Have a Property, Contents, And a Specified items policy 3 in total, Now the company has merged them ALL together and my camera kit is fully covered as long as I'm not using it for work.

The policy states any Item upto a value of £2000 is coverd, so there is no need to get extra Specified policy.

The policy also covers the lost of Mobile phones and batteries up £250.

Simon 06-07-08 15:46

Be very careful with all policies but especially if you have added your gear to your Home insurance and take it away from home. Theft from a motor vehicle often has numerous exclusions added or in some cases no cover at all. One home insurer i used to use suddenly added a "not covered" clause despite the previous year covering and how many people read all the small print if they were "happy last year". Another problem can arise with some companies is reducing the level of cover especially for single items or have a limit on the value even if the item is declared higher value.

miketoll 06-07-08 16:47

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have a bit of homework to do and need a magnifying glass for the dreaded small print.