World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   General Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flash at Weddings (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=758)

prostie1200 06-03-06 10:11

Flash at Weddings

3 Attachment(s)
Hi
I have used a SB600 flash unit on my D70 set up for a while now – but only for macro and shots in my study where I have had reasonably good results bouncing off the White ceiling and white cards etc. On Saturday I attended a wedding and took my kit along. This was the first time I have done any what I refer to as in your face photography. The reception was in a castle and the ceilings were high, very high and painted, no good for a bounce.
After following the official photographer around for a while, I decided branch out on my own and to do a theme on Wedding Hats. I had a lot of fun, and here are three, the ladies were most willing to pose, but I have to learn how to avoid the shadows cast by the flash in these circumstances, any tips please

jimtfoto 06-03-06 17:49

Were you using direct flash? ... I believe a diffuser would help cut down on some of the shadows ... bounce flash would also work, if the ceilings aren't too high.

cheers,
jim

prostie1200 06-03-06 18:33

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jim
Did use the disuser shield which you pull over the flash face in the hope the TTL would do the job, but no luck. AS for the ceilings - have attatched a couple of pics to show you how high they were.

Cheers
Brian

jimtfoto 06-03-06 18:39

Wow ... those are incredible ceilings ... I use Canon equipment and have never been a big fan of the built-in shield on my flash. I use an Omnibounce diffuser now and then, but other photos swear by different diffusers. I'm sure if you do a search through this forum you'll come up with a couple of different ones.
Good luck,
cheers,
jim

Canis Vulpes 06-03-06 18:52

1 Attachment(s)
Difficult to get bounce off those ceilings. Stofen produce a diffuser for the SB-600, part number OM-600. I have one and it does soften the light quite nicely. I would have been experimented pointing the flash vertical (bulb mode?) with OM-600 to give the best diffused light available from a portable source.

If I could refer to the thread 'Flash - Daunting or Fun' for lots of tips, advise and practical applications for flash photography.

I think by diffuser shield you are referring to the wide angle adapter, this will just widen the light source for a 14mm lens field of view.

Check out the photo below to see what the OM-600 does to SB-600 output.

prostie1200 06-03-06 19:00

Thanks Stephen

Have just this minute ordered a White Stophen Omni from 7 Day Shop - more experimenting. Fun isnt it.

Cheers
Brian

Canis Vulpes 06-03-06 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostie1200
Thanks Stephen

Have just this minute ordered a White Stophen Omni from 7 Day Shop - more experimenting. Fun isnt it.

Cheers
Brian

The best thing about OM-600 is with it fitted on SB-600, they still fit in the SS-600 case!

prostie1200 06-03-06 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Difficult to get bounce of those ceilings. Stofen produce a diffuser for the SB-600, part number OM-600. I have one and it does soften then light quite nicely. I would have experimented pointing the flash vertical (bulb mode?) with OM-600 to give the best diffused light available from a portable source.

If I could refer to the thread 'Flash - Daunting or Fun' for lots of tips, advise and practical applications for flash photography.

I think by diffuser shield you are referring to the wide angle adapter, this will just widen the light source for a 14mm lens field of view.

Check out the photo below to see what the OM-600 does to SB-600 output.

See what you mean - no hot spots or burn out at all.

Do you use an extender attatchment for fill when useing long lenses?

Canis Vulpes 06-03-06 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostie1200
Do you use an extender attachment for fill when using long lenses?

I don't quite understand. I use 50mm f1.8 for indoor shots and portraits, its fast, small and simple in design so lightweight. I think the GN of my best flash will only allow for 100mm whereas SB-600 is good for 85mm.

prostie1200 06-03-06 21:57

Sorry didnt make it clear in my last post.
I realy should have have said for outside photography, when use say 70-200 or a 300mm.