World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   WPF Photo Competitions Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rule 5 - No discussion of entries in the thread (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=7726)

Gidders 21-02-14 14:10

Rule 5 - No discussion of entries in the thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Waites (Post 55050)
To answer your concern under "old rules" comments in this part of the forum were discouraged as they made it into a "long read". Probably more entries were expected and it could have run to many pages. I only mention this because it may be why people are not commenting/discussing much here.

Rule 5 is there not to keep the thread length down, but to try to avoid influencing voters. Whether we like it or not, we are influenced by what other people think. So for example if someone posts "Fabulous, I really like this" or alternatively "Great shot... but I'm not sure how it fits the theme", subconsciously we are going to be influenced positively or negatively.

Recently there have been comments creeping in before the vote so we need to come to a democratic decision - do we take rule 5 out, or ask people to respect it?

My personal view is that rule 5 should stay, for the reasons that it was originally included. I think discussion of the entries is great, particularly Digi's up/downs idea & any behind the scenes commentary... but after the voting has closed.

What does anyone else think?

graham harcombe 21-02-14 17:10

Glad it's not just me Clive, please let the rule stand.

annieh 21-02-14 21:13

Hear hear Gidders and Graham, couldn't agree with you more.There has been far too much conversation going on.

Tugboat 22-02-14 03:43

I also agree, thanks

DigiDiva 22-02-14 07:59

This is all my fault and I do apologise. Is there any way I can have my comments deleted on the other thread? I belong to 4 different forums, and forgot that in this one, you don''t comment on the photos. Hope you guys don't stay too mad at me for too long. And next time, send me an ass kick private message to remind me if I do it again!

John&me 22-02-14 09:14

yes please let the rule stand.

Tugboat 23-02-14 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiDiva (Post 55084)
This is all my fault and I do apologise. Is there any way I can have my comments deleted on the other thread? I belong to 4 different forums, and forgot that in this one, you don''t comment on the photos. Hope you guys don't stay too mad at me for too long. And next time, send me an ass kick private message to remind me if I do it again!

ha ha, no worries, shall do!!!

DigiDiva 23-02-14 14:59

I do feel bad.........

Gidders 23-02-14 20:00

No need to feel bad. Things only progress or change when the existing way of doing things is challenged.

This forum very much operates as a democracy and just because things have 'always been done that way' it doesn't mean that its not good to re-examine periodically.

In this case, at the moment, the consensus seems to be to carry on as we were until the voting has finished... but without your input we would not have moved forward with the post voting feedback which enables everyone to learn - which has got to be a good thing :)

Tugboat 24-02-14 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiDiva (Post 55090)
I do feel bad.........

don't feel bad,I am sure no one is really worried,you have made some positive contributions to the forum and created more discussion on here....all good:D