World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   B&W Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=8652)

Rachael Alice 08-02-18 06:34

B&W Photography

What are the things which need to be kept in mind which capturing B&W Photography?

Birdsnapper 08-02-18 08:35

A good tonal range from black to white (without the highlights being blown).

cuilin 08-02-18 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdsnapper (Post 59783)
A good tonal range from black to white (without the highlights being blown).

that pretty much covers it.
what's everyone's favorite method to convert to b&w?
i use lightroom. instead of hitting the b&w button i move the saturation slider all the way down to 0. then i can adjust the white balance and tint sliders to get different tones.

Birdsnapper 08-02-18 14:50

I generally shoot in RAW and convert and adjust with Affinity Photo - it has a good real-time, full screen converter. I sometimes convert to JPG and use Silver Efex Pro 2 (it's a free download as part of the Nik collection).

Gidders 08-02-18 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuilin (Post 59784)

I mostly use Lightroom as well. I have a number of presets that I've created from studying the "film" presets in Nik Silver Efex to simulate range of B&W films inc Pan F, APX Pro, Ilford Delta, Kodak Tmax (probably my favourite for street photography) FP4, Plus X, HP5, Tri X plus a few of my own cooking which I call Landscape, Portrait & Portrait Contrasty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdsnapper (Post 59785)
I sometimes convert to JPG and use Silver Effects Pro (it's a free download as part of the Nik collection).

I still use Silver Efex (usually from Photoshop) but I think you can go straight from RAW without having to create a jpg - you certainly can from Lightroom & it returns a tiff file

cuilin 09-02-18 03:03

nik is a great plugin for photoshop. i like their color efex filters, haven't used silver efex much because i convert my photos to b&w in lightroom.

Rachael Alice 09-02-18 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuilin (Post 59784)
that pretty much covers it.
i use lightroom. instead of hitting the b&w button i move the saturation slider all the way down to 0. then i can adjust the white balance and tint sliders to get different tones.

I found this convincing.

Arthur53 10-02-18 16:38

I tend to hit the B&W button in Lightroom and use the sliders. Sometimes use the B&W gradient in Elements.

Rachael Alice 16-02-18 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur53 (Post 59791)
I tend to hit the B&W button in Lightroom and use the sliders. Sometimes use the B&W gradient in Elements.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

blackadder 03-03-18 12:27

My editor of choice is DXO Labs, it is vastly improved since it became Lab and gives good mono as well as colour images.
Charles.

Rachael Alice 05-03-18 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackadder (Post 59826)
My editor of choice is DXO Labs, it is vastly improved since it became Lab and gives good mono as well as colour images.
Charles.

This is something which I came to know about. Will try it out along with various features in it.

blackadder 05-03-18 10:32

I use DXO for all my Canon images (but it can only edit Fuji images if shot as jpegs then uploaded to my computer and saved as tiffs.)
I used to use lightroom but it is not as good as DXO, I still have elements but rarely use it.
DXO also gives great mono processing as well.
Charles.

Rachael Alice 14-03-18 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackadder (Post 59833)
I use DXO for all my Canon images (but it can only edit Fuji images if shot as jpegs then uploaded to my computer and saved as tiffs.)
I used to use lightroom but it is not as good as DXO, I still have elements but rarely use it.
DXO also gives great mono processing as well.
Charles.

Thanks for the information Charles. Glad to know about it in detail!