World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Lenses (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Lens Hoods (and now filters)- How important are they? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=948)

Andy 13-04-06 09:39

Lens Hoods (and now filters)- How important are they?

I read elsewhere that someone had been using a Canon 400mm DO f4 lens without a hood for some time. I have to say I was a bit shocked.
What do you think about the value of hoods?

I think with small prime lenses you can often do without one, but something with a lot of glass (big zooms, fast primes) surely need some form of cover protecting stray light bouncing around.

Besides, they provide great protection for the glassware.

Canis Vulpes 13-04-06 09:48

Small primes are simple in design and utilise few lens elements. Physically longer lenses contain more elements that are are more prone to flare, requiring a hood to shade from stray light. Personally I use a lens hood to shelter the front element from dust and other contaminants. A lens hood will also protect a lens from physical damage stopping a user from bumping it into things!

Annette 13-04-06 12:22

I have to agree that the best function of a lens hood is to protect the glass against the elements,dust and damage. I used a sigma 170-500mm lens without a hood for over 2 months and never noticed any difference where stray light was concerned.

Don Hoey 13-04-06 14:01

Personally I would not consider using a lens without a lens hood. Probably the only time you could safely do that is when there is NO possibility of stray light striking the front element.

Don

Canis Vulpes 13-04-06 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Personally I would not consider using a lens without a lens hood. Probably the only time you could safely do that is when there is NO possibility of stray light striking the front element.

Don

I once read, the only time not use a lens hood is when using flash. Like a lemming I simply followed this without challenge or reason. I dare say the only time to definitely use a hood is with flash.

Don Hoey 13-04-06 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I once read, the only time not use a lens hood is when using flash. Like a lemming I simply followed this without challenge or reason. I dare say the only time to definitely use a hood is with flash.

Light is light whatever its source. Stray light entering a lens degrades the image. Ultra Wides and zooms are worse due to the number of elements. My 80-200 f2.8 has a modest 16 elements in 11 groups ..... plenty for the stray light to bounce off in all directions. I cannot remember how many reviews I have read in the past where uncontrolled flare leading to poor image quality was put down to a poorly designed lens hood.

The best hood I had was for my Bronica. It was a bellows type and could be racked in or out to suit whatever lens with great precision.

Don

nirofo 14-04-06 01:43

Never shoot without one except in extreme close-up.

nirofo.

Christine 14-04-06 22:47

Since it has been suggested that we all remove our filters,then using the lens hood is a must!!!

nirofo 14-04-06 22:59

Why would we all want to remove our filters, I always have one of some description fitted on the lens, even if it's just a UV to protect the front element. The only time I don't use a front element filter is when using my Nikkor 500mm f4 (125mm front element), it has a built in protective glass front element. Also when using a macro lens with a deeply recessed front element, as in Tamron 90mm macro.

nirofo.

KC Foggin 14-04-06 23:08

I wouldn't dream of not using some type of filter for the front of my lens. Between smoke, dust and unintentional scratches, it is much cheaper replacing a filter than it is a lens.