World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do we really want HD movie mode (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3638)

wolfie 17-09-08 08:44

Do we really want HD movie mode

Do we really want HD movie mode on our DSLRS?

"Destined Evolution" The 5D mk11 has now arrived 21mp with an expanded ISO of 50 to 25,600

I would much prefer no movie mode and a sub £1500 price point than the stated £2,300

Canis Vulpes 17-09-08 11:01

I quite agree, Harry.

Keep a DSLR a Digtal Still Camera. I prefer one item that does something well than an single item that does lots of things all badly!

miketoll 17-09-08 15:54

Well I don't think the 5Dll will do lots of things badly but I do agree that HD video on a stills camera is of no interest to me and I do not want to pay for the feature (chance would be a fine thing) but the marketing boys at Canon and Nikon and elsewhere are forever looking for new features and this one is hopefully not too expensive. I guess it just requires a feed from the live view to a dedicated chip (which it has) and thence to the memory card. It will end up on all new cameras like live view itself. No autofocus and really requires the use of a tripod to get the best out of it so a poor option for casual use I would have thought. I have only once used the video mode on my compact but there are those who love it.....

robski 17-09-08 17:14

I suppose it is the Wallace & Grommet style movies ( e.g 20D used to take 1 frame at a time) has inspired somebody to think it is a good idea. Personally I have no interest in making movies.

Canis Vulpes 17-09-08 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketoll (Post 30687)
Well I don't think the 5Dll will do lots of things badly .

The meaning behind my quip is if one wants to make movies then buy a dedicated movie camera not a DSLR that also makes movies. If one wants to take photographs buy a DSLR.

A one man band never makes music like a five piece band.

Nobody mention S-club 7 :D:D

miketoll 17-09-08 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes (Post 30691)
The meaning behind my quip is if one wants to make movies then buy a dedicated movie camera not a DSLR that also makes movies. If one wants to take photographs buy a DSLR.

A one man band never makes music like a five piece band.

Nobody mention S-club 7 :D:D

Agree with you, slightly misunderstood you.

sassan 18-09-08 17:37

I was always thinking whether I will see the new Canon's 5D in my life time!:)
So its good to see it coming but original 5D got its fame for giving a fully professional totally out of this world, futuristic technology at just above usual DSLR and not at full fledge ones. Hope to see new 5Ds price set right. I am sure Canon will give us enough technology on this one to last for long but Canon also has shown the ability to just come with several face lift updates of lower end models, just to be replaced by a much sophisticated one very soon. No mater what I am for getting a new 5D soon with or without the wife's permission!

Birdsnapper 18-09-08 18:07

I can imagine some pro wedding photographers putting in a 32gb card and taking stills and movies for the happy couple as an edge over the competition.

miketoll 18-09-08 19:24

Go for it Sassan! You have been waiting long enough! I expect the IQ to be very high so ignore any features you do not want and enjoy! :)

sassan 20-09-08 20:37

I was quit specticle about the movie gismo too but after seeing the sample, I am sold to its magnificane and surely like to have this especially when this comes at no additional cost or weight to the body.
Check the link for yourself:

LINK