World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Further evidence that the secondhand market has crashed and burnt?? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2124)

Joe 11-03-07 18:01

Further evidence that the secondhand market has crashed and burnt??

We went to a camera fair today. Loads of secondhand Zeiss ikons, Mamiyas, old SLR's, Twin lens reflexes and the like (you probably know the score).
The 'fair' was advertised to start at 12 noon....However, we arrived a 1pm, to be told "I'm sorry, it's been very quiet today, most of us are packing up and some have already left"....Hummmmm:eek:
It looked like we were the only other car in the carpark......

maybe everyone else was sitting at home looking through ebay listings??!:rolleyes:

Don Hoey 12-03-07 11:36

Certainly if you are a film user and want to get something that was unaffordable a few years ago then you cannot go wrong at todays prices.

We went to a Camera Fair in January, but I was not impressed by the condition of more than half of the kit there. A few stalls with a bit of quality and others .... well ........ car boot sale stuff. We are going to one advertised at Dereham for 25th March hoping to see a few obsolete but interesting bits for workshop projects. Just hope there is less junk around or it will be our last.

Worrying thing in a wider sense but I guess a lot of these guys run e-bay shops. :eek:

Don

Leif 12-03-07 13:16

About a year ago I heard someone had bought a brand new Nikon F100 from of all places Jessops, for an absurdly low amount. I think it was £200.

It is somewhat ironic that collectors were buying old Leica cameras at high prices, and now the market is dead. I presume the high end stuff has dropped in value too?

postcardcv 12-03-07 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 18330)
We are going to one advertised at Dereham for 25th March hoping to see a few obsolete but interesting bits for workshop projects. Just hope there is less junk around or it will be our last.

any chance you could post or PM details, I could be tempted to pop along.

Don Hoey 12-03-07 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by postcardcv (Post 18343)
any chance you could post or PM details, I could be tempted to pop along.

Advert in hand :D

Norfolk Camera & Collectors Fair,
At Dereham Town Football Club, Aldiss Park, Norwich Road, Dereham.
Sunday 25th March 2007
9:00am To 4:00pm

Earlybirds £5 9:00 to 10:00am
10:00am onwards £3

Bar & food from 12 noon
Large free car park

I am on a rummage so won't bother until after 10:00 :rolleyes: :)

Don

Joe 12-03-07 19:16

most of the camera mags have pages in the back advertising these fairs...
Yes, I agree about the condition of some of the stuff sold. Admittedly, some of my trusted kit looks like it's been driven over, but I wouldn't want to buy it in that condition.
Yeah, the high end stuff has come down too. I was looking at Contax AX and RTS III bodies, absolutely obsurd low prices, considering the prices they were when new....
Although having said this it does help lower prices if the system is 'dead'....take some Canon manual focus FD fit lenses, I'm amazed how some pro lenses fetch such low s/h prices...In contrast, some EF mount (eos) lenses, even some of the basic, dare I say, second rate lenses still fetch silly money