World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nikon D50 (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=658)

fishingdobbie 18-02-06 07:54

Nikon D50

Hi all, Can the Nikon D50 take a 2gb and up SD card? I use a 1gb card at the moment, but it does not say in the instruction book, cheers, Bert

Subzero 18-02-06 11:32

Hi Fishingdobbie,
No idea, but try nikon-euro.com, the official Nikon site, they have a huge Q&A forum.If it's not there then they have the facilities for you to ask the question and get a reply.
regards Subzero.

Subzero 18-02-06 11:59

Hi again Fishingdobbie,
Have a look at nikonians.com
Look in their D50 forum there is a recent post no15456 relating to large capacity cards with fast write times causing the camera to slow down?? I did not read it all but it might be useful.
Subzero.

fishingdobbie 18-02-06 12:03

Thanks Subzero will do,Bert

fishingdobbie 18-02-06 12:08

Thanks again, the d50 can take up to 2gb, Bert

Saphire 18-02-06 13:22

I havn't got the Nikon I have a Canon but I have found its better to stick to 1gb cards, if you have a failure its unlikely for more than one card to fail at the same time. Another consideration is the time to upload to the computer, I have only filled a 1gb card once and it took nearly half an hour to upload imagine how long with a 2gb.

Leif 18-02-06 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire
I havn't got the Nikon I have a Canon but I have found its better to stick to 1gb cards, if you have a failure its unlikely for more than one card to fail at the same time. Another consideration is the time to upload to the computer, I have only filled a 1gb card once and it took nearly half an hour to upload imagine how long with a 2gb.

That's why I buy high speed cards. I don't really care about the in camera speed - the fungi I photograph don't often run away - but I like to transfer from card to PC using a card reader. I recently bought a 100x 2GB card and was surprised at the wide variation in price. As I understand it, there are only a few manufacturers of memory and flash controllers, so is there really much difference in quality?

Incidentally, isn't there software to recover images from a corrupted card? I presume corruption is usually due to a write error on the FAT, given that corruption within an image would not lead to a read failure. Or do the controllers fail?

Leif.

fishingdobbie 18-02-06 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire

I take your point saphire,thanks Bert

Andy 18-02-06 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif

Incidentally, isn't there software to recover images from a corrupted card? I presume corruption is usually due to a write error on the FAT, given that corruption within an image would not lead to a read failure. Or do the controllers fail?

Leif.

The Lexar cards usually come with the Lexar Image Recovery software (they stick it on the card).
Never, in 6 years have I had a card fail me... tempting fate there :eek:

Saphire 18-02-06 17:50

Leif I use a high speed card and card reader I have the Sandisk III which is quite fast I also have a 512kb card which I put in camera just while I upload to the PC via the reader but I still find this slow. When I am away I carry a 40gb portable storage drive which you can now get for around £99 which is very useful, they are now very appealing. Two 1gb cards equals 1, 40gb storage device and they hold a heck of a lot of images.