World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Photographic Accessories (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tripod mount (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=138)

fishingdobbie 22-12-05 13:54

Tripod mount

Am I correct in thinking that the screw thread of the tripod mount is 1/4 BS WHITWORTH , cheers,Bert

Andy 22-12-05 14:08

Well 3/8 is more common on the better tripods but you do get 1/4 as well and a thread converter costs next to nothing.

cheers,
Andy

fishingdobbie 22-12-05 14:13

Hi Andy, I meant the thread on the camera,made a cock up, bert

fishingdobbie 22-12-05 14:25

I have not explained myself very well so I will start again,
Am I correct in thinking that the screw thread of the tripod mount, on Dslr and 35mm camera's is 1/4 BS WHITWORTH,its the thread type I am after cheers,Bert

wolfie 22-12-05 14:26

The thread on the base of the camera is 1/4".

Harry

Andy 22-12-05 14:29

Hi Bert,
Yep 1/4 . I thought you mean't tripod legset to head.
oops, beaten to it.

cheers,
Andy

fishingdobbie 22-12-05 14:44

I know its a 1/4 inch diameter,what I am after is the thread type,when we used imperial measurements there was two types of thread ,one was whitworth, and I can't remember the other? Camera equipment never changed to millimeters which is a different thread also, ie 1/4 inch = 6.35, I am reasonably sure its whitworth, bert

Andy 22-12-05 15:13

Yes Whitworth is the standard for cameras

Don Hoey 22-12-05 19:20

I fell over this one when trying to modify a tripod head for a scope.
I always believed the thread to be Whitworth and cursed as I did not have a die. When I later made a sighting device the previous experience forgotten and needing to support the head in a vice, I rummaged for a screw to fit, job done. Only later, as the origional project is ongoing, did I check out that screw and cursed again.

Seeing this brought it all back and I have just rechecked......... 1/4 x 20 UNC. the 3/8 thread is 3/8 x 16 UNC.

Whitworth, BSF, UNC, UNF. The difference is in the thead angle. Whitworth and BSF 55deg. UNC and UNF 60deg. Metric is also 60deg.

Don

Andy 22-12-05 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
I fell over this one when trying to modify a tripod head for a scope.
I always believed the thread to be Whitworth and cursed as I did not have a die. When I later made a sighting device the previous experience forgotten and needing to support the head in a vice, I rummaged for a screw to fit, job done. Only later, as the origional project is ongoing, did I check out that screw and cursed again.

Seeing this brought it all back and I have just rechecked......... 1/4 x 20 UNC. the 3/8 thread is 3/8 x 16 UNC.

Whitworth, BSF, UNC, UNF. The difference is in the thead angle. Whitworth and BSF 55deg. UNC and UNF 60deg. Metric is also 60deg.

Don

Amazing, even googling got this wrong for me :eek: