World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Digital Darkroom (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Re-sizing for the gallery (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2059)

somert8 02-03-07 19:29

Re-sizing for the gallery

I would like to know the best way to re-size my pics for the gallery,I have cs2 and I was just re-sizing them by reducing the pixel size to get under the 300kb limit but I believe it is better to compress the jpeg more,can anyone help please.Please forgive me if this has been answered before.

yelvertoft 02-03-07 19:54

somert8,

If you are using CS2, the way I do it is to resize the image to 1024 pixels wide (landscape) or 800 pixels high (portrait) by
Image > Image Size , entering the dimensions I've just given, ensuring that all boxes "Scale Styles", "Constrain Proportions" and "Resample Image" are ticked. I use the option "Bicubic" against the Resample Image box.

Then
File > Save As , give the file a suitable new name, and pick JPEG as the file format. Click on "Save".

You are then presented with a JPEG options dialogue box with a numerical setting for Image Options. I find that a setting of 6 or 7 is quite good enough for viewing on WPF. This should get you a file size of typically 100kB to 130kB (depending on the picture).

Hope this helps.

Duncan

somert8 02-03-07 20:09

Well,many thanks again Duncan,your help was spot on,my file is now bigger on screen,but is a smaller file size,I do think it looks better and I`ll sort the other three out.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...00&ppuser=2183

Cheers

Christine 02-03-07 21:03

Somert,the way I do this is by re-sizing the image to say 1025 max,then going to Save for Web function.when the box appears,in the top right hand corner you will see-Preset-custom is in the box next to this.Just to the right of this box,you will see an arrow,click on this and a box comes up Optimize to file size.Click on this box,and a small box appears,where you can set the size of file required.I set mine to 200 then it meets the requirements of BF.click okay in this small box,this then dissappears,and your pic is re sized in a JPEG format.You are also given a reading as to the quality of your pic.It is so easy.The picture is perfect.
This may sound complicated,but I promise it is very,very simple.You can save in higher pixels(higher than 1025 etc).But if your image is very large say the original size at 3000 plus,it will advise that you do lower the size.There is no loss of image quality.You are able to watch your image being re-sized,both pics are side by side,and you will see that the new one has the same quality as the original.I use Elements 4.0,but I guess all Adobe progs have this function.
Hope this is of some assistance.

somert8 02-03-07 23:03

Well Christine that sounds really good,thanks a lot,I`ll give it a try:)

sassan 03-03-07 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by somert8 (Post 17754)
I would like to know the best way to re-size my pics for the gallery,I have cs2.

Please check the link I left for Polo on this thread, response # 8

-----LINK----

Roy C 03-03-07 08:34

I do it the same as Duncan inCS2. Resize and save as a jpeg quality 6. For some reason I have always had better pics doing it this way than the 'save for web' function.

somert8 03-03-07 10:26

Thanks for the reply guys,still fiddling!

Don Hoey 03-03-07 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy C (Post 17792)
I do it the same as Duncan inCS2. Resize and save as a jpeg quality 6. For some reason I have always had better pics doing it this way than the 'save for web' function.

If the image has lots of fine detail then save for web can be the best way of getting it to a reasonable file size. Save as jpeg will be 300 ppi, save for web is 200 ppi.

Don

Roy C 04-03-07 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 17813)
If the image has lots of fine detail then save for web can be the best way of getting it to a reasonable file size. Save as jpeg will be 300 ppi, save for web is 200 ppi.

Don

Don, I never have problems getting a reasonable file size by saving as a quality 6 jpeg but perhaps this explains why the 'save for web' function never seems as good a quality.
Not quite sure what you mean by 300 ppi and 200 ppi (assume pixels per inch) I always use 72 ppi for the web so where does the 300 and 200 come in to it?