World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nikon D2x firmware update next week? (now here) (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1410)

Andy 13-09-06 11:41

Nikon D2x firmware update next week? (now here)

According to a thread on DPR, the firmware update for the D2x, that takes it close to the D2xs, will be released next week.

I know posts on DPR need a healthy portion of salt, but it feels right.

Canis Vulpes 13-09-06 11:54

I read something a few weeks back about release by end of September. Personally I will download but wait until I update as I am very happy with the performance of the D2X - Very happy.

Don Hoey 19-09-06 17:14

D2X, D2Hs, D200 firmware just round the corner.

For those that are interested. I see Nikon USA is offering a Capture 4.4.2 updater as of today. Not on the Nikon European support site yet though.

Don

Alan13 19-09-06 22:26

Andy, Many thanks for this info. Have been anticipating its' arrival for a while.
Alan

Andy 03-10-06 10:03

Just to bring this up to the top... the new firmware is now available for download.

Canis Vulpes 03-10-06 12:25

Here is what it adds:-
  • H 0.3 (equivalent to ISO 1000), H 0.5 (equivalent to ISO 1100) and H 0.7 (equivalent to ISO 1250) options have been added between the ISO 800 and H 1 settings in the ISO menu.
  • Autofocus subject acquisition and tracking performance has been improved.
  • A Black-and-white (sRGB) option has been added to the Color mode option in the shooting menu.
  • A new Trim function has been added to the shooting menu.
  • Up to 3 custom tone curves can now be downloaded to the camera for use with the Custom Tone compensation option.
    Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.4.2) Camera Control or Camera Control Pro with Ver. 1.1.1 and later is required to download 3 custom tone curves to the camera.
  • An Image authentication option has been added to the setup menu.
    The optional Image Authentication Software is required to authenticate images.
  • A Save/load settings item has been added to the setup menu.
  • The Mirror lock-up option in the setup menu has been modified to function with battery power as well as AC-adapter power.
  • The Lock-On option in the CSM menu now offers 4 options: Long, Normal (default), Short, and Off.
  • Max. sensitivity and Min. shutter speed options have been added to the ISO auto menu.
  • The Maximum shots option in the CSM menu has been updated to support a maximum setting of 60 shots.
  • The FUNC. button item in the CSM menu has been divided into 2 separate items labelled FUNC. button and FUNC. + command.
  • A Recent settings item has been added to the setup menu.
  • The shooting data of an image in the playback photo-information display now includes. Focus mode (S/C/M) and Vibration reduction* (on/off)
    *Displayed only when the image was captured with a VR lens.
  • Latitude and longitude GPS data now displays up to 3 digits* for each segment.
    *3-digit display may not be possible with some GPS devices.
  • A compass bearing is displayed in the GPS data, if used with a GPS device is equipped with digital compass.
Not too sure what trim feature is - any ideas?

Now I know what the features really are I shall be installing this purely for improved auto-focus performance - not that there was anything wrong with existing auto-focus behavior.

Andy 03-10-06 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox (Post 12108)
Not too sure what trim feature is - any ideas?

It's just an in-camera cropping function, zoom and pan around and crop.... fortunately the cropped version is separate from the original, so no chance of an accident.

All seems o.k. here, menu a different colour... but if you asked me what it was before, I couldn't tell you ;)
The AF tracking will get a serious test next week.

Canis Vulpes 03-10-06 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 12109)
It's just an in-camera cropping function, zoom and pan around and crop.... fortunately the cropped version is separate from the original, so no chance of an accident.

All seems o.k. here, menu a different colour... but if you asked me what it was before, I couldn't tell you ;)
The AF tracking will get a serious test next week.

Arhh, jargon at play. Trim in my profession means 'fine adjust' hence trim tool.

Menus were background blue with different coloured headings:-
Shooting:- Green
CSM:- Purple
Setup:- Yellow
Recent:- Grey

I have my camera beside me and have just checked :rolleyes:

Andy 03-10-06 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox (Post 12110)

Menus were background blue with different coloured headings:-
Shooting:- Green
CSM:- Purple
Setup:- Yellow
Recent:- Grey

I have my camera beside me and have just checked :rolleyes:

Ah right, I'm terrible remembering things like that... I used the menu before upgrading, then 2 mins later I can't remember what colour it was before ;)

DPR is quite funny at the moment with the various firmware releases today... next I'll be hearing that a firmware upgrade has turned their camera in to full frame.

Canis Vulpes 05-10-06 17:26

Could someone kindly post a link to the download site, going through Nikon.co.uk I get a message advising I have not permission to open the page and I am not logged in - even though I am.

I have tried this on three different computers.