World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   PRESS RELEASE: The world's fastest D-SLR remastered - Canon's EOS-1D Mark III: (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2010)

Andy 22-02-07 10:20

PRESS RELEASE: The world's fastest D-SLR remastered - Canon's EOS-1D Mark III:

United Kingdom, 22 February, 2007: Canon today sets new standards for professional photography with the launch of the

EOS-1D Mark III. Delivering 10 frames per second at 10.1 Megapixels for a maximum burst of 110 Large JPEG images (30 in RAW), the EOS-1D Mark III replaces the EOS-1D Mark II N as the world's fastest digital SLR. Dual "DIGIC III" processors drive the camera's high speed, high resolution performance, and bring 14-bit image processing to the EOS series for the first time.

A redesign from the ground up introduces a host of new features and advancements to Canon's flagship EOS-1 series, including a 3.0" LCD with Live View mode, EOS Integrated Cleaning System, new auto focus system with 19 cross-type sensors, and 63-zone exposure metering. The camera's APS-H size (28.1 x 18.7 mm) CMOS sensor enables a wider 100-3200 ISO range as standard, expandable to L:50 and H:6400.
"The EOS-1D Mark III represents a complete reappraisal of everything Canon has learned over the past 20 years of EOS development," said Tsunemasa Ohara, Senior General Manager, Camera Development Center, Canon Inc. "In building this camera, we started with a blank canvas. Every facet of the photographic process has been refined, every design decision re-evaluated to bring us to this point: a camera that combines familiar EOS ergonomics with a vastly enhanced specification. Our engineers are overjoyed with the result."

Pricing and availability
Pricing and availability TBA.

NickR 22-02-07 13:13

Andy, I must say with the announcement of the EOS-1D Mark III I am tempted to switch over! Not sure though if I want the hassle of selling my Nikon gear though? 1 body, 3 lenses and 3 TC's?

Cheers

Nick

Saphire 22-02-07 14:21

I notice that there is no mention as to crop factor is it full frame or has it the 1.3x the same as 1D Mark II N. Just dreaming.

Canis Vulpes 22-02-07 14:26

The size of sensor is APS-H (1.3 crop factor) same as 1D Mark II N

No dream, reality when available.

Saphire 22-02-07 14:28

They give a rough price of around £3,050. a bit to expensive for me.

Andy 22-02-07 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 17313)

I must admit that's pitched in at a price beyond what I had thought... i'd have said £2.5k, though it's surprising how quickly these initial prices drop down.. so I'd say it could be £2.5k in 5 months.

NickR 22-02-07 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 17313)

Christine, where did you get the rough price of £3,050, I can't find anyone quoting prices in the UK? In the US there are rumours of $4000 ? so I guess we would have to add 25% on top of $4000?

Cheers

Roy C 22-02-07 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickR (Post 17322)
Christine, where did you get the rough price of £3,050, I can't find anyone quoting prices in the UK? In the US there are rumours of $4000 ? so I guess we would have to add 25% on top of $4000?

Cheers

Someone on BF has ordered one and was quoted £3,050. In the states it is $4,000 which would convert to just over £2,100 at current exchange rates but then everything photographic is more expensive here than in the states.

Saphire 22-02-07 15:13

Thanks Roy, you posted before I did, it was reading the rough price on BF that gave me the figure.

Jon Sharp 22-02-07 15:34

Personally, after all the hype - I think this announcement is very dissappointing.

The only useful thing in this camera is the live remote viewfinder feed, as I do a lot of shoots from a laptop remotely this could prove useful on a DSLR but hey my £200 Canon Pro1 does that at a fraction of the price.

I was looking forward (based on rumours) to the 5D getting the 16mp sensor and a lower priced 12mp version. Hey Ho!

I hope that Canon's usual product launches continue and they release some more in the Autumn.