World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Jessops memory prices (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1902)

Roy C 30-01-07 18:50

Jessops memory prices

Just had a look around for Sandisk 1GB Extreme III Compactflash Card .
Picstop = £17.90
Jessops = £79.99

Do Jessops actually sell any memory cards? if so who is buying from them.

Ant 30-01-07 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy C (Post 16376)
Picstop = £17.90
Jessops = £79.99

My guess is people who don't have computers, therfore go to jessops anyway to have the pics printed.

Joe 30-01-07 21:50

Yep, hands up...Jessops is not the cheapest place to buy memory cards....
Sold an 8Gb ExtremeIII the other day......£349.99!!! I nearly had a heart attack!

But we're also not the most expensive,
just one example for now.....
check out the prices in Argos (regular shop catalogue prices...not the deals we all had over xmas) next time you go in ;)...horrendous

Net prices are more likely to be cheaper than any high street shop...however...

I did buy several rolls of Tmax400 not too long ago... 96pence a roll in Jessops (without staff discount)!!!....there aren't many places I could get it cheaper than that

yelvertoft 31-01-07 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy C (Post 16376)
Picstop = £17.90
Jessops = £79.99

To be fair, picstop, and similar outlets, do not have the overheads of renting and running a shop in a prime location on the high street. Jessops have to cover these costs somehow, this kind of mark-up goes a long way towards covering these costs, and then some.......

robski 31-01-07 10:07

To be fair on Jessops price £11.91 is going straight to Gordon Brown.:rolleyes:

One assumes that Picstop is making a living on their markup.

Yet on the otherhand I heard via my son who is friendly with the local independent camera shop deputy manager that they were selling a Nikon DSLR at £10 loss. They could not get a better deal out of Nikon.

I recall a long departed friend of mine who ran a small electrical goods shop in the high street. ( Selling Radio, TV, Kettles & Irons etc ) This was some 35 yrs ago, before VAT and Argos had just arrived on to the scene. His markup was 30%. Dispite Argos being 50 yards away he kept going for a number of years with the trade he had built up until his death.

Joe 31-01-07 10:27

Rob,
I totally agree with your posting.
However, I should point out that far from me bashing Argos...but for many things it isn't neccessarily the cheapest place to shop, contrary to popular belief....as an example I can recall, about october last year the Panasonic FZ7 was around the £250 mark in Jessops....in Argos they had the same model for £350! I'm sure there must be other exceptions too, and I'm sure Argos must also be cheaper on other things ....as ever, it pays to shop around

People should also be aware of where their internet shopping product is actually coming from, many shops will look like they're UK based....many will arrive on your doorstep with a little customs sticker on it saying 'gift'...technically illegal! (unless it is actually a gift!)....others will simply not arrive, but instead a card through your letterbox stating the duty to be paid and where your local sorting office is to collect it once it's paid....I know of a few occasions people have been stung that way (including myself in the past :( )

As a footnote...(I'm not going to get into trouble as a Jessops employee for posting this, as it's available to anyone who knows where to look and how to get it, but...)
Many genuine Photographic UK based websites are owned, or atleast have a majority share owned by........

you've guessed it.....

Jessops! (so there's an extra bit of info' to rattle a few cages! LOL)

Leif 31-01-07 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 16395)

Many genuine Photographic UK based websites are owned, or atleast have a majority share owned by........

you've guessed it.....

Jessops!

Oooh. Is this site owned by Jessops? :D

Ant 31-01-07 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif (Post 16400)
Oooh. Is this site owned by Jessops? :D

we need admin to tell us that. hopefully its still all part of the birdforum group.

Joe 31-01-07 21:00

With all due respect, weren't we talking about UK photgraphic retailers?
Unfortunately, I had credited those on the forum with some form of common sense in following the topic thread.
Ok, maybe I should explain every word next time

Are efforts to explain reasons why, or indeed hopefully add something to a topic for discussion and maybe even the benefit of others not a good thing?. I guess from the last two posts not all of us feel the same way.

I'll leave this one to those that know best to pace it out with handbags at dawn! :p

Canis Vulpes 31-01-07 21:35

Coming at this from another angle, could the £17.90 card be fake? There are a number of Sandisk fakes out there. I am certain that Jessops would not sell a fake card and if they did would sort the problem with minimal fuss. Whereas the sole Internet trader might have done a runner or would not have anything to do with it.