World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Photographic Accessories (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Recommend me a tripod? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5677)

Matt Green 18-04-10 23:00

Recommend me a tripod?

I need a tripod, doesn't have to be ultra lightweight as I have limited funds ...just needs to be sturdy and well built to last!!!

Been looking at a Giotto model from Jessops for about £120 odd ...is this likely to be any good?

Thanks

Matt

andy153 19-04-10 00:06

Hi Matt, Giotto, Manfrotto, Velbon, Slik, Gitzo and many others all make good tripods. You need to decide what you are going to use it for. Low down for macro work? Normal height for portraits, landscape etc. Do you need a flash extension arm with it? Whatever you are going to use it for it needs to be rock steady and to hold the camera and whatever lens you have on very firmly and steadily. What is your height? I would suggest you need a tripod that will come up to your eye level. What is the heaviest combination of your camera, heaviest lens and flash attached? You need a head that will support that weight with about a third of that weight over for safety. I would start by going on line and looking at a manufacturer you like and looking through the specs for tripods in your price range - then go to Jessops and try one out with your gear. Do not be rushed. You will not find the perfect Tripod. I use 3 different ones and a monopod.

postcardcv 19-04-10 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy153 (Post 43251)
I would start by going on line and looking at a manufacturer you like and looking through the specs for tripods in your price range - then go to Jessops and try one out with your gear. Do not be rushed. You will not find the perfect Tripod. I use 3 different ones and a monopod.

That's good advice, it would also be worth looking in Cley Spy (not too far away from you) they stock Velbon, Manfrotto and Giottos and often have good used ones in. An older Manfrotto 055 pro would definitely be worth a look if you can find one at a good price. I agree with Andy about finding the perfect tripod, I currently have five of them and all see fairly regular use!

Matt Green 19-04-10 17:21

Thanks for the advice Andy and Pete..

I'm only using a lightweight general purpose lens at the moment so it's not going to have to support a massive zoom or anything, I just don't want it to brake (as cheap budget models inevitably do!) after a few months use...only requiement I have is something that can tilt easily for portrait shots.

Pete, I'm currently in the west mids at present so unable to get to Cleyspy or the numerous Norwich photographic shops ...I'm limited to a small Jessops store at the local mall!!

Matt

jser 19-07-11 20:18

See my review here on my sons site

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Te...omingsoon.aspx

snappychappy 20-07-11 17:45

I use the Velbon sherpa 600r, a very reasonably priced unit.

Mrs Yelvertoft 22-07-11 23:27

Hi Matt,

I have a Velbon Delta (an early model I believe) which is very study - it currently has a prominar scope permanently attached to it. It's available for purchase if you are interested? Just offer me a reasonable price (say £50), all proceeds to Essex Air Ambulance (it used to be Duncan's and is not used but I am not after any personal gain).

If you are interested them pm me, and we can arrange a hand-over when you are back in East Anglia.

Debbi

patrickwilson86 29-03-13 10:33

There are two basic tripods to consider. The first is the pan and tilt. These were the ones I always broke. In addition, I found their range of motion to be limited, and awkward. The alternative is to buy a set of legs, and then pick up a ball head separately. This is more expensive, but in my experience, a much wiser long term investment.

shakilearl 01-10-13 02:02

Whatever you buy, avoid the tripod with ball head otherwise you'll struggle to adjust your camera position since it is mounted over a ball which would move your camera in multiple directions even if you want it to be moved in one direction only. That's a big problem I faced with a tripod I had bought. For indoor use you might choose a heavier tripod and vice versa.