World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   B&W Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=8652)

Rachael Alice 08-02-18 07:34

B&W Photography

What are the things which need to be kept in mind which capturing B&W Photography?

Birdsnapper 08-02-18 09:35

A good tonal range from black to white (without the highlights being blown).

cuilin 08-02-18 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdsnapper (Post 59783)
A good tonal range from black to white (without the highlights being blown).

that pretty much covers it.
what's everyone's favorite method to convert to b&w?
i use lightroom. instead of hitting the b&w button i move the saturation slider all the way down to 0. then i can adjust the white balance and tint sliders to get different tones.

Birdsnapper 08-02-18 15:50

I generally shoot in RAW and convert and adjust with Affinity Photo - it has a good real-time, full screen converter. I sometimes convert to JPG and use Silver Efex Pro 2 (it's a free download as part of the Nik collection).

Gidders 08-02-18 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuilin (Post 59784)

I mostly use Lightroom as well. I have a number of presets that I've created from studying the "film" presets in Nik Silver Efex to simulate range of B&W films inc Pan F, APX Pro, Ilford Delta, Kodak Tmax (probably my favourite for street photography) FP4, Plus X, HP5, Tri X plus a few of my own cooking which I call Landscape, Portrait & Portrait Contrasty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdsnapper (Post 59785)
I sometimes convert to JPG and use Silver Effects Pro (it's a free download as part of the Nik collection).

I still use Silver Efex (usually from Photoshop) but I think you can go straight from RAW without having to create a jpg - you certainly can from Lightroom & it returns a tiff file

cuilin 09-02-18 04:03

nik is a great plugin for photoshop. i like their color efex filters, haven't used silver efex much because i convert my photos to b&w in lightroom.

Rachael Alice 09-02-18 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuilin (Post 59784)
that pretty much covers it.
i use lightroom. instead of hitting the b&w button i move the saturation slider all the way down to 0. then i can adjust the white balance and tint sliders to get different tones.

I found this convincing.

Arthur53 10-02-18 17:38

I tend to hit the B&W button in Lightroom and use the sliders. Sometimes use the B&W gradient in Elements.

Rachael Alice 16-02-18 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur53 (Post 59791)
I tend to hit the B&W button in Lightroom and use the sliders. Sometimes use the B&W gradient in Elements.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

blackadder 03-03-18 13:27

My editor of choice is DXO Labs, it is vastly improved since it became Lab and gives good mono as well as colour images.
Charles.