World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Lenses (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Difference in lenses? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2698)

SDPhotography 04-09-07 20:37

Difference in lenses?

Ive been looking round t'internet recently with the intentions of chosing my next lens to purchase and a couple of things strike me:

1. L series lenses are bloody expensive and sadly, out of my price range

2. IS USM lenses seem to be a little cheaper, but still expensive

3. USM lenses seem reasonable

4. Aspherical just confuses me?

Which lenses should I save up for do we think?

Im open to suggestions :)

~S~

miketoll 04-09-07 21:49

Depends what area of photography appeals to you most.

Christine 04-09-07 22:29

Yes,as Mike has said,which is your main area of photography.Wildlife,portraits,landscapes?.Or general purpose,ie a zoom lens which will take in all aspects,and do a reasonable job for all occassions.

SDPhotography 04-09-07 22:46

Most of my time is around vehicles, especially motorsport and I do enjoy motorsport photography, but I cant limit myself to a single type of photography as since I bought the SLR, I feel compelled to have a go at everything.

I would say though to narrow it down so recommendations can be given my main areas would be

Motorsport - soon to try aircraft
Static/Wide angle (anything from landscapes to car shows)
Portraits - I spend a lot of time photographing my nephew :)

miketoll 05-09-07 19:19

Well you need a good wide-angle zoom as priority I would guess as the other two subject areas are covered at the moment though I reckon you might be tempted by something longer eventually for motor sport/aircraft. The 18-55 is not that wonderful according to what I have been told and read so in time that might be worth upgrading if you find you use it a lot. For my wide-angle zoom I have a Canon 10-35 EF S which is superb. There are other very good alternatives by the independent manufacturers.

Chris W 05-09-07 19:38

Sigma do a great 28mm~300mm lens that would cover quite a lot of what you want to photograph, its not too slow either. I use a sigma 28~70 f2.8 as a prime lens on my canon 400d and find it pin sharp

miketoll 05-09-07 20:12

The only problem with the Sigma that Chris W mentions is that it does not extend the focal length range over what you have already got so does not open up new photographic possibilities. The 28mm end becomes a 44.8 when you factor in sensor size.

SDPhotography 05-09-07 20:17

I would like a nice wide angle lens and although the quality of the consumer lenses is satisfactory for the time being (well, almost ;)) I do intend on buying one of the Sigma EX lenses at some point

I quite like the APO 70-300 and it produces a decent quality image, but I would consider the Sigma 28-300 F2.8 to replace the 70-300 unless I can get a L series lens on the cheap :D

Three of the lenses I definitely would like are the Sigma 10-20, Canon 50mm II and a nice 100mm prime, but I want sharper images straight from the shoot rather than using PS

miketoll 05-09-07 20:51

The Sigma 10-20 is v good. If I was going to buy a 100mm prime I would buy a 100mm or there abouts macro lens (Canon, Sigma or Tamron) which would give me two uses in one. All razor sharp.

Birdsnapper 05-09-07 21:36

Sigma 10-20 definitely a good buy.