World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Macro Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Macro Fly - first post (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6003)

bend the light 19-08-10 08:02

Macro Fly - first post

1 Attachment(s)
My first post here...

I am currently messing with bug macros. Took this yesterday, 18-55mm kit lens reversed on my 400d body. How does it look?

yelvertoft 20-08-10 16:05

Point of focus a touch too far forwards, but I understand how difficult this kind of macro work is. Other than that, it's a fine study of a fly.

bend the light 20-08-10 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 45271)
Point of focus a touch too far forwards, but I understand how difficult this kind of macro work is. Other than that, it's a fine study of a fly.

Yeah, focus is hard - rocking back and forth and trying to get the shutter at JUST the right point. If the critters stay still long enough, I will have a go at focus stacking them...

Thank you

shibby 20-10-10 10:48

This question is burning me and I know it's like asking what the best time of day is, but:

What is the best aperture/shutter/iso for macro? Words like "low" and "high" will suffice, I just need to know where to start.

Thanks!

surfg1mp 20-10-10 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby (Post 45897)
This question is burning me and I know it's like asking what the best time of day is, but:

What is the best aperture/shutter/iso for macro? Words like "low" and "high" will suffice, I just need to know where to start.

Thanks!

try setting the camera to A mode (aperture priority) this will allow you to set the required f/number (aperture) and the camera will meter the scene and set the shutter speed for you. the higher the f/number the more will be in focus. However you will have to experiment as the closer you get to a subject the less DoF you will get.

shibby 20-10-10 12:06

:-)

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

My first shots were on Tv with Auto ISO/Av and they looked fine but lacking in exposure.

Yesterday I shot the ISO up to 1600 and got some noise, so I think today I'll go at it on Av Auto ISO/Tv and see what happens.

bend the light 20-10-10 12:32

I have done many more macros since this one, and I have got much better.

I use a 135mm manual focus lens, mounted on macro tubes (typically 50mm of tubes) with the aperture set at f11. I use ISO 100 when I can, but not much more than ISO 400. I use aperture priority...

I also use an old flash gun, triggered by wireless trigger (cheap from t'interweb) and diffuse the flash with a piece cut from a plastic milk bottle.

Hope that helps.

shibby 20-10-10 12:43

Gear constraints...

Well, I shoot a Canon SX20 IS which is more of a P&S camera, so unfortunately I cannot change lenses. The OEM lens however is a 5.0-100.00mm with a 0mm focus meaning I can focus nicely for macro. Still need a flash though. That'll probably be my next step... ;-)

surfg1mp 20-10-10 12:59

you will be able to get pretty close with a point and shoot. you could try using a reflector such as a piece of white paper to get more light onto the subject.

shibby 20-10-10 13:12

Will do thanks! My brother in law is a wedding photographer so I'll just nick one of his umbrellas :-D