World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   next purchase? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=37)

Andy 13-12-05 11:40

next purchase?

What's at the top of your list for a new photographic purchase?

Adey Baker 13-12-05 11:44

As you'll probably have gathered from a BF thread ;) my next purchase was going to be a good quality tripod but as I'm going to be made redundant some time in the new year I'll have to put that on hold for a while and look for book called something like 'How to make Stacks of Money from your camera!'

Andy 13-12-05 11:49

Bad luck Adey, not a good start to a year :( Build a crappy website and stick adsense on it? works for me ;)

rezmole 13-12-05 13:14

Not sure what my next one will be - looking out for a new, long, prime Nikon lens - when they eventually get around to bringing some new ones out, and catch up with Canon.

Andy 13-12-05 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezmole
Not sure what my next one will be - looking out for a new, long, prime Nikon lens - when they eventually get around to bringing some new ones out, and catch up with Canon.

Optically and AF speed, the AF-S & AF-S II long primes ARE pretty well the same as the Canons... just that missing element of I.S. I reckon 12 months away but hard to predict. I'd be unwilling to recommend buying a new Nikon long prime at the moment. You can pick up a used AF-S 500mm for around £2.5k.

Tom Charles 13-12-05 13:31

After Digi from Birdforum planted the idea in my head, yesterday, Im thinking longingly about purchasing a Canon 300mm f/4. Ive noticed, in particular for certain bird/wildlife shots, that the 400mm focal range is that touch too long. Thats my excuse anyway ;) A purchase thats a good way off yet!

Tom

Andy 13-12-05 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracker
Ive noticed, in particular for certain bird/wildlife shots, that the 400mm focal range is that touch too long. Thats my excuse anyway ;) A purchase thats a good way off yet!

Tom

I can't remember a situation when I though 400mm was too much for a bird... but other wildlife it's a possibilty, that's why 300/2.8 is a popular choice amongst pro's. I notice South African Mybs on BF is using a 200-400 f4, that must be absolutely ideal for safari type photography, and birds as well.

Tom Charles 13-12-05 14:08

Hi Andy,

I felt the same, regarding the 400, but yesterday, whilst photographing a pair of Tree Creepers, I couldnt believe how close they let me get to them, in fact I could have done a macro shot on them lol. Just got me thinking about an alternative lens. I thought 200mm, so must have a look at Mybs' setup.

Tom

Skipton 13-12-05 14:27

Hi, Tom,

I have the 300f/4 L IS + the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS..... Take a look at my gallery on BF for examples with both, particularly "I've got my eye on you", this lovely hen blackbird was pretty close! I need a longer lens though since adding TC to either does slow down the AF somewhat.... not good for little twitchy fellows at a distance. Don't like using tripod, so what do I choose for my long lens that I can handhold? Cash not really a problem, fortunately!
Don't fancy the 100-400... bye the way..... push pull zoom is not for me.

Trev

Tom Charles 13-12-05 14:45

I fully agree with you on that 100-400, Trev. That was on my shortlist before I bought the Canon 400mm prime, but I decided against it due to too many negative comments off and online. So maybe the answer is another DSLR with a shorter focal length lens. I WISH! LOL

Tom