World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PC Upgrade - suggestions (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=7205)

Gidders 21-07-12 11:37

PC Upgrade - suggestions

Back in early 2006 I upgraded my pc based on a component list that Nirofo shared in post 15 in this thread using some of my existing components but taking that processor & motherboard as a starting point, and I've since upgraded to 2Gb RAM & and additional 1Tb HD still running XP & SP3

It has served me well but nearly 6 years on that the time has come to move on again so what would anyone's current recommendations be without spending the proverbial arm & leg.

I know all the argument about self build being no cheaper that buying a ready built machine... trouble is, I cant find a ready built machine that has the sort of spec I'm trying to set up. I'm thinking to have the following hardware capabilities: -
  • Core i5 processor
  • SSD SATA 3 for the OS so doesn't need to be too big... 64-80Gb?
  • 4 x 1/2Tb HD running in raid 10

So what would anyone recommend for:
  • motherboard
  • graphic card or are on board graphics ok? I dont do gaming
  • SSD
  • how much RAM 4Gb? 8Gb? 16Gb? brand?
  • Any other considerations?

My main "power" applications are Photoshop (of course), Lightroom (which can be slow using the gradient filters & adjustment brushes) & Video Studio 12 which takes a loooooong time re-rendering even short videos

surfg1mp 21-07-12 22:25

Hi Clive.

I was in a similar position last year, where my aged pc which I built myself could no longer keep up with the tasks I was giving it.

Looked into getting a 27" iMac but thought I'd see if I could build a similar machine for less money. The main reasons for doing this were we're the fact I know windows pretty well and have all the software for that platform. The more obvious one was budget.

I went for the dell xps 8300 with the i5 processor, 6gig of ram, 2 x tb raid drives and a 23" led monitor, I now have purchased a second 23" monitor to have duel screens. This lot came to around £1200 which was about £500 cheaper Than the iMac. This machine is amazing. My workflow is super fast and efficient where as before I spent most of my time tapping my fingers on the desktop waiting.

You can go on the dell website and custom build the spec you want which is helpful.

byteme 24-07-12 08:14

I have to agree
I recently ordered a Dell XPS with i7 processor and 8gb ram
A 17 inch full HD (1080) screen with a TB hard drive ( I tend to use external drives to save, a lesson learned the hard way some time ago)
Cost £999
The PC operates Photoshop CS6 with absolute ease, the screen makes the workflow pop out

I did look at Mac Airbooks etc, but my software is windows based and my own website uses Flash, so I stuck with what I know and what works for me

nirofo 17-08-12 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by byteme (Post 52165)
I have to agree
I recently ordered a Dell XPS with i7 processor and 8gb ram
A 17 inch full HD (1080) screen with a TB hard drive ( I tend to use external drives to save, a lesson learned the hard way some time ago)
Cost £999
The PC operates Photoshop CS6 with absolute ease, the screen makes the workflow pop out

I did look at Mac Airbooks etc, but my software is windows based and my own website uses Flash, so I stuck with what I know and what works for me

'WOW' Dell certainly know how to charge.

nirofo.

surfg1mp 17-08-12 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirofo (Post 52357)
'WOW' Dell certainly know how to charge.

nirofo.

Not as well as apple. it's disgusting the amount of money they expect for their hardware.

But then you can't blame them, if there are people willing to pay their extortionate prices. :eek: