World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Panoramic 35mm-anyone seen one? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3761)

David Smith 21-10-08 10:15

Panoramic 35mm-anyone seen one?

Some months ago I visited a showroom/gallery in North Wales. The photographer has used a very wide panaromic FILM camera i.e. he didn't need to take multiple shots and join them-the camere did it in one go.
The photos were very impressive-he was oviously a good photographer but the effect was really good.
Out of interest I have looking (on & off) to see if anyone still manufactures such a camera (digital).
Has anyone on here seen such a thing?

yelvertoft 21-10-08 14:01

Not seen a digital camera specifically for such an application, but there's many, many stitching programs that allow you to do this with a bunch of individual files. Use a good tripod, set it up with a bit of care to begin with, you can get some very good results.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...3128&ppuser=34

David Smith 21-10-08 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft (Post 31479)
Not seen a digital camera specifically for such an application, but there's many, many stitching programs that allow you to do this with a bunch of individual files. Use a good tripod, set it up with a bit of care to begin with, you can get some very good results.

Yes-I'm aware of the stitching method (although not tried it) but I was intrigued by this camera and am tryingout of interest-to see if there is a digital version.

gordon g 21-10-08 15:27

If I remember right the 35mm film panoramic was a hasselblad xpan - I dont know if they are still available, or if there is a digital version. (I would expect not, as stitching software is very effective.)

miketoll 21-10-08 16:03

The Xpan is no longer made. It was a proper panoramic camera (35mm) and did not just crop a 35mm exposure to panoramic format. They came with the possibility of several focal lengths. Again I do not know of any digital equivalent.

sassan 21-10-08 20:42

Any medium or large format camera when fitted with a wide angle lens and make a crop from top, bottom or both, will give a fantastic panorama image.

On old 35mm cams (Cheap ones) I remember same thing was made by pushing a bottom that would add two curtain in lower and upper frame to give a pseudo-pano effect at low price (Early 80s).
LINK

The Cream of the Panorama in 35mm world however was this one:
LINK
That uses a half a cylinder to make the real effect.

But then with the advent of digital, like a lot of other very difficult dark room task or special effects, panorama has been turned to a piece of cake. No you don't need software or expensive cameras. The cheapest Canon point and shoots or for that matter, many other brands, are equipped with a very easy mode (You dial to it) then visor will be split to two segment, one on the left, real time, the other small portion on the far right that has a bit of right corner image of the last shoot. So you start to take picture from far left side of scene, each time using guide, Turing to right, no tripod needed and take as many as picture as you want (Usually 5 or 6 images are one full circle) and then using supplied software that comes free with the camera, you make a wonderful pano with a large file size. Now problem you have is to how to show it to others or print it.

Joe 01-11-08 14:58

Think Exacta and Nobo (?) companies had their own film based panoramic efforts too. Yes, many digi's have the 'stitch' mode now....I tried some out. It's a good idea to set the white balance (WB on most menus) to your favourite MANUAL setting (same with exposure if it has the option). auto mode can make it more tricky to stitch the photos without any join showing through colour change....
Though some correction can of course be done with suitable software i guess