World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Macro Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Manual macro on the cheap. (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1618)

Leif 16-07-07 20:18

BTW the butterfly photo was taken at F22, and the camera was mounted on the Manfrotto focussing rail. I can report that the rail works very well indeed. Thus far I am a happy customer.

Dave Smith 16-07-07 20:28

Yes please Leif, can you post a picture of your defuser.

I like your results above - great stuff.

I'm still very interested in this thread, just don't have much time to get out.

Dave

Leif 16-07-07 21:16

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the diffuser attached to an old manual camera. I think you can see that it is no more than a plastic desert tub attached with an elastic band to the built in flash. The fact that it is angled upwards slightly does not seem to matter too much.

Dave Smith 16-07-07 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif (Post 21980)
Here's a picture of the diffuser attached to an old manual camera. I think you can see that it is no more than a plastic desert tub attached with an elastic band to the built in flash. The fact that it is angled upwards slightly does not seem to matter too much.

Thanks Leif, that looks good and simple and as you say strong enough for carrying around. I'll give it a try.

Dave

Saphire 16-07-07 21:35

1 Attachment(s)
Wisher makes little diffusers, they work great on the pop ups.

Dave Smith 16-07-07 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 21983)
Jacky makes these little diffusers, they work great on the pop ups.

Jacky?

Dave

Don Hoey 25-08-07 20:30

A bit of catching up on the thread.

Leif,
I see in post #97 you discovered the trials of a reversed 28mm. When I clear out the workshop I will look at a solution to controlling the aperture lever from the side.
I have to admit my last session was a reversed 50 f1.4 on the 105mm to get round the problem. Magnification is not as great though.

Post #100 Superb pictures with your home made flash diffuser and the pop up. :cool: I will try your plastic desert tub idea on the SB80-DX.

Christine,
Jacky's diffusers look great for a pop up in loads of applications.

Dave and Leif,
I got the Manfrotto focussing rail today but have yet to give it a go. Cannot get to a lot of my kit as its in a workshop drawer behind the junk.:(

Don

Don Hoey 26-08-07 20:46

1 Attachment(s)
Following on from Leifs home made diffuser for the pop up flash. Today I cut the top off a 1 litre milk bottle and attatched the bottom part to the SB80-DX flash to see what the result would be like. The flash had a Stofen diffuser attatched to spread the output inside the poly milk container.

Attatched pic is a full flash shot. 55mm micro and 28mm tube.

I will play more towards the end of the week when my diy project is finally complete. I'll get in trouble with the boss if there are too many photographic diversions. ;) :)

Don

Dave Smith 26-08-07 21:00

Excellent depth of field Don. I wish I could get such a shot when I'm trying let alone just experimenting!

By the way, welcome back. I thought you may have gone on a long holiday.

Dave

Don Hoey 26-08-07 21:33

Perhaps we should have a Macro play when I am fully back in action as I see Christine also has a new toy.

Holiday .............. NO. :(

Mega Jobs .......... YES :( Nearly done ......... YES :)

Don