World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=682)

Dr.Manjeet Singh 21-02-06 11:27

How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass

I find it difficult to take a pic if the subject is behind a glass(e.g.like a fish in a fish tank).I find the the subject has too much glare(i know it is a silly one but having difficulty while taking a pic's of my Fish in my practice.).I am using a Kowa T.D.1 and the distance i am taking it is about 20feet it works well for other subjects but not behind a glass.::confused: :o .Has any one used a Kowa T.D.1 i need to know so many things that i am missing .Thanks guys & girls oh forgot Singhs.(ah).

Don Hoey 21-02-06 20:32

Hi Manjeet,

I was going to say that you needed to shield the glass from reflections. Then I read the 20 feet away bit !! :eek:

Perhaps a case of posting a pic of the kit you are using may help.

Don

Saphire 21-02-06 21:03

Manjeet the easiest way is to take the fish out of the tank, lay it on a white plate, surround it with a few succulent vegetables to add contrast and interest. You will also find that the fish while laying there might get a little frown on its head thinking its going into the oven, a few kind words of reassurance should dismiss this thought and it will be happy with the new surroundings for a little while. Do remember to keep dipping it back in the tank to bring out the sheen on its scales. Ha! Ha!

Christine 21-02-06 21:04

Manjeet,why do you have to be 20ft away,not Pirahanas(misspelt,me thinks)are they!!!.I take bird shots through a window,and the camera lens is as close to the glass as poss.I have read that one should rest the shade of the lens agains't the glass to avoid glare etc.

John 21-02-06 21:31

You could try using a circular polarizing filter. You would not be able to shoot square on to the glass. For best effect the lens axis should be inclined to a perpendicular to the glass at roughly 38 dgrees (it depends on its refractive index)

Dr.Manjeet Singh 22-02-06 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine
Manjeet,why do you have to be 20ft away,not Pirahanas(misspelt,me thinks)are they!!!.I take bird shots through a window,and the camera lens is as close to the glass as poss.I have read that one should rest the shade of the lens agains't the glass to avoid glare etc.

The problem is that if i get any closer the image dosnt come in the L.C.D or the view finder.I tried without zoom but the reflaction was too much.I dont have filters(a back water town-i plan to go to Kuala Lumpor next sunday i hope i can find some.).Will try again and see what happens then will attach the pic's in my reply.Thanks.:) Don hoey i will post a pic's of my T.D.1 soon-i hope it will help.Thanks.

Dr.Manjeet Singh 22-02-06 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire
Manjeet the easiest way is to take the fish out of the tank, lay it on a white plate, surround it with a few succulent vegetables to add contrast and interest. You will also find that the fish while laying there might get a little frown on its head thinking its going into the oven, a few kind words of reassurance should dismiss this thought and it will be happy with the new surroundings for a little while. Do remember to keep dipping it back in the tank to bring out the sheen on its scales. Ha! Ha!

Would love to do that and almost tried but then felt that will be too much of a temptation for me- may decide to eat it-it wgs about 2.5kg(ah):D

Snowyowl 22-02-06 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by John
You could try using a circular polarizing filter. You would not be able to shoot square on to the glass. For best effect the lens axis should be inclined to a perpendicular to the glass at roughly 30 dgrees (it depends on its refractive index)

That's certainly the way I used to do it using 35 mm.

Subzero 23-02-06 20:43

Hi Manjeet,
Your post first made me think you were having a laugh on us, and the various replies "seemed" to indicate that; especially with the 20 feet bit!
Then I thought TDI =Turbo Diesel Injection (car), and then I thought pet "Jaws" in tank, stand well back.Then I thought, no such thing as a silly question, only a silly answer.So I went google, typed in "kowa TDI", and what a supprise I got.Please all look, especially Andy Bright and let us know what you think???
regards Subzero.

Saphire 23-02-06 21:07

Looking at the TD1 I would have thought you would have to be in the next state to get any photo's, 1350 max zoom wow thats long.