World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Canon beats Nikon in New York (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5799)

John Hallas 30-05-10 00:37

Canon beats Nikon in New York

Currently on a break in New York and I am surprised by how many DLSR owners I see that are using Canon rather Nikon. Probably 3:1 in favour of Canon.

I am using my Canon S90 rather than my 400D+lenses. If I came again I would bring both. I was not sure how safe it would be walking around with a decent camera but no concerns at all now I am here.

Whilst this trip is good I bet a specific photographic trip in the company of like-minded souls is even better.

I am sure I will be posting some shots soon, although I guess many of them will come into the snapshot variety.

PS Best vallue of all in NYC must be the Staten Island ferry - free

surfg1mp 30-05-10 11:40

Love NYC bit jealous its a great city.

As far as the canon nikon thing goes at college there is a 3.1 canon nikon ratio too.

andy153 30-05-10 18:26

All that proves is what we already know - 3:1 New Yorkers have no sense at all, no sense of the finer things in life and no appreciation of well made instruments - after all, they live there with murders, drugs and rubbish stacked up to their ears - and as for college kids - when did they ever heed good advice? :D - from an admirer of the "Gold & Black" and someone who knows that the only well balanced american has a chip on both shoulders.:p:D

Alex1994 30-05-10 18:32

Canon is a yuppie's brand, and there are lots of yuppies frequenting NY :P I bet they all have 18-200 zooms as well. Now Olympus, that's a camera with pedigree!

andy153 30-05-10 18:42

I agree Alex - excellent pedigree - all the way back to ancient Greece - I think they used to whirl them round their heads by the strap and see how far they could throw them - that started what we now know as hammer throwing in the modern Olympics - The ancient greeks were still waiting for someone to invent film so throwing them as far as possible was all they could come up with :D

Al Tee 30-05-10 18:43

I remember when it used to be at least a five horse race adding Olympus, Pentax & Minolta. Where did they go wrong?
Al.

andy153 30-05-10 19:14

To be serious for a moment - I agree Al, but do not forget Leica - still a prestigious brand. I think many were let down by development and marketing - they were unable to keep up with the market leaders, Nikon and Canon have swopped this spot for decades - usually lead by what the journalistic pro's used for newspaper copy. Now in the digital age these people still lead the rest of us in brand choice. I have always liked Nikon for their rugged reliability and excellent lens quality - Canon make equally good cameras, but of late their marketing has been much better than Nikon's. I for one wished that Nikon made a lens like the Canon 24 mm tilt shift for years - now they do.

miketoll 30-05-10 19:19

Steady on chaps there are many of our American friends in the forum! Just because Canon is the most popular brand world wide you all get jealous. Many magazines who do reader surveys in this country time after time put Canon top for quality, reliability and customer satisfaction. If it placates you Andy I noticed in China that most compacts were Canon but most DSLR's were Nikon. Saw a few Fuji compacts but no other makes. Olympus USED to be at or near the top but that is ancient history, same with Pentax. I love the fact that Canon, Nikon and others like Sony push each other hard, good for all of us so just relax and accept Canon is best if not by much.

Alex1994 30-05-10 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketoll (Post 44050)
I love the fact that Canon, Nikon and others like Sony push each other hard, good for all of us so just relax and accept Canon is best if not by much.

*cough* Leica *cough*

Still as good today as they were all those years back! A camera that was designed to outlive its owner.

Minox used to be a good brand, sure it was a very small, minor company with a small following but their products exude German quality. The Minox 35 I own is a poor man's Leica for sure.

And let us not forget the old man that passed away in the group, Yashica.

andy153 30-05-10 22:13

Mike, as if I - moi would insult anyone, as a man of the cloth I exude nothing but love and fellowship to all .... don't I???? :) call me old fashioned but I have to confess I still find it hard to remember they are no longer a British Colony and in prayer cannot make up my mind about giving thanks for that fact - with relief or regret??? :D