World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How to become a good photograper (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1693)

Leif 08-12-06 22:44

How to become a good photograper

I heard something interesting today on R4. Some years back a respected photographer was asked "How do you become a good photographer". The rather surprising answer was "Anyone can be a good photographer as long as they throw away the bad pictures!" I wonder if he was being unduly modest? Anyway, I'm off to throw away some more pictures ... it might work ... :D

john crossley 09-12-06 12:17

Quote:

Anyone can be a good photographer as long as they throw away the bad pictures
Totally agree. Only show the pictures which you are more than happy with.

Lello 09-12-06 12:38

That's where I've been going wrong:)

Snowyowl 09-12-06 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lello (Post 14336)
That's where I've been going wrong:)

You and me both. I tend to show the good, the bad and the ugly.:eek:

sassan 09-12-06 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowyowl (Post 14340)
You and me both. I tend to show the good, the bad and the ugly.:eek:

Nothing wrong with showing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif (Post 14330)
"Anyone can be a good photographer as long as they throw away the bad pictures!" I wonder if he was being unduly modest?

The key is what went wrong. Speaking for myself there are times that I don't know which one is the one I need to throw. Once known to me rest is easy. Because of my growing short term memory, I tend to kept the bad one just to remember what was said and what went wrong,:rolleyes:
I think main issue is to go for comparison to what is believe to be good, others thought and critiques, and more importantly when a sour but frank opinion is expressed, be the fair judge and keen student at the same time.

Again the Key is "Which one is the bad one". What comes next doesn't mater though throwing away is a good option.

Saphire 09-12-06 16:45

Out of all the photos I take, there has only ever been a few times when I could say. Wow! that brilliant, I must print it but thats a rare occasion.
Most of mine I look at them and think they just look like snapshots, even though I may have carefully set things up.
So which ones do I delete, I don't know so most times I just delete any that are obviously wrong and keep the rest..

SharonW 09-12-06 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 14345)
So which ones do I delete, I don't know so most times I just delete any that are obviously wrong and keep the rest..

That's me too - you should see some of the rubbish on my hard drive :eek: ! Every now and then I'll have a cull and wonder at myself for having kept such rubbish.

yelvertoft 09-12-06 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif (Post 14330)
"Anyone can be a good photographer as long as they throw away the bad pictures!"

That's good advice. But after I've done this, why is there nothing left?

Adey Baker 09-12-06 19:22

You don't have to delete the rubbish - just make sure that no-one else sees it!

carman 09-12-06 23:25

Keep pictures you think are good yourself. Listen to criticism but don't take it to personally.:)