World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nikon D2Xs advice needed (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4221)

Birder1 05-03-09 15:51

Nikon D2Xs advice needed

I am having problems with the above in that some photos are showing over exposed or burnt out areas. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong.

Thanks

Ian

kwanon 05-03-09 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder1 (Post 34558)
I am having problems with the above in that some photos are showing over exposed or burnt out areas. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong.

Thanks

Ian

Haven't you already asked that question in a previous thread?

Quote:

Burned out Highlights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please can anyone help i am having problems with whites in my photographs being burnt out. How do i rectify this problem?

Thanks

yelvertoft 05-03-09 18:00

As several people have said in your other thread on the same subject, please post some examples of the problem, and information on the metering mode you used. We can then help you. At present, we haven't seen an example, the cause, and subsequent solution could well be different depending on the kind of picture you are talking about.

Duncan

Birder1 05-03-09 18:33

Burned out Highlights

Hi Duncan,

Sorry about that, i will try and post a photograph over the weekend with all the specs attached.

Cheers

Ian

Joe 08-03-09 21:49

Hi Ian.
My D2x has a tendency to blow a few highlights in Auto Exposure modes whilst in matrix metering, and jpg only files. I just dial up -0.3 exp comp which sorts it out without loosing shadow detail. Must admit that I dont get the same issue with the D2h, which is a bit odd...but there you go!
I do tend to use manual exposure mode by far the most though.

Birder1 08-03-09 22:11

Hi Joe,

Cheers for that.

Ian

Canis Vulpes 09-03-09 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 34635)
Hi Ian.
My D2x has a tendency to blow a few highlights in Auto Exposure modes whilst in matrix metering, and jpg only files. I just dial up -0.3 exp comp which sorts it out without loosing shadow detail. Must admit that I dont get the same issue with the D2h, which is a bit odd...but there you go!
I do tend to use manual exposure mode by far the most though.

How strange, I have the exact opposite with my D2x and D2Hs. D2x seems to expose more or less correctly, if anything underexpose. Whilst D2Hs tends to over expose and I often add -0.3 or -0.7 to matrix metering.

Its a question of knowing your kit and what to do in certain situations based on previous experience.

Don Hoey 11-03-09 17:39

No problem on my D2X, but I recall from my initial trawl through the menus that you could fine adjust this.
Just had a quick look and sure enough this can be made in Custom Menu B7 to any of the metering patterns. Adjustment is over the range EV +1 to EV -1 in increments of 1/6 EV.

I am guessing this is the same for the D2Xs and Hs as well.

If you use the shooting banks you can customise to suit certain situations.

Don

Joe 11-03-09 18:14

AAaa ha!....thanks Don!
Just checked my D2x. It was set slightly out!
cheers :) ;)