World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's better? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5925)

J A Mortram 17-07-10 22:58

What's better?

Doing some research...

What's better...

Nikon F5 vs Canon Eos 3 or Canon 1 n

I'm guessing the F5 and more than the body, the lens you get to hook it up to...

Thanks for any replies : )

Jim

Alex1994 18-07-10 00:45

Both the F5 and the EOS 1n are pretty damn good. The Nikon is backwards-compatible with more lenses, while the Canon may have the edge on AF speed.

Don't forget you're buying into an entire system, so it's not just the camera you have to judge. However I don't think you'd be significantly better or worse off with either, they're both close to the zenith of 35mm SLR design.

On Ffordes the Nikons are a fair bit cheaper than the 1V, but the EOS 3 is the cheapest of the lot.

J A Mortram 18-07-10 01:01

Thanks mate!... that's pretty much what I thought... I can get the (Well used but fair and no battery charger) Canons for £80 each...

But... and a big but... I've no Canon lenses... whereas I do have Nikon lenses... well... a lens!... so just pondering weather to go for a whole new system or stick with and save for the F5... decisions are hard and though I know the Canons are cheap at that price... it's still a lot of money... think I will wait... and get a F5 one day.

Thanks so much for your answer : )

Jim

Alex1994 18-07-10 12:53

If you have just the one lens you could sell it, as long as it isn't too new (in which case it will have depreciated a lot and you're best off with the F5).

I'd have a look into accessories like chargers, cases etc, they may be cheaper with Canon.

J A Mortram 18-07-10 12:56

Ahhh I thought of this... but if I sell the lens (18-7mm f3.5)... no lens for my D200...!... also I could not find a charger for the Canons anywhere!... so I think I'll be best off waiting for a F5 to come my way cheap : )

Alex1994 18-07-10 13:10

The ones on Ffordes are £250...

J A Mortram 18-07-10 13:15

Thanks very much... think I will go window shopping!... safer from there than E-bay for sure! : )

Gutted, I just £150 voucher for Jessops in a photography competition... but they don't sell second hand!

Alex1994 18-07-10 13:20

eBay is a pretty safe choice actually, they have so many protections against fraud that it's rare to actually see someone make off with your money.

In fact, sell the voucher for £149 or something (it's your best bet), I'm sure someone is willing to trade it for cash, then all you need is £100 for that lovely F5.

Ffordes is slightly more expensive than most but you do get a 6 month warranty with them.

J A Mortram 18-07-10 13:25

Thanks for the advice!...

I've promised to get film for everyone with the voucher, Dad, Laura.. so I'll do that and keep my eye open for an F5 for the future = )

yelvertoft 18-07-10 13:25

They may not make off with your money, but let's say, some people can be very creative with their item descriptions. I've had some junk sold to me that was supposedly excellent condition. Caveat emptor.